The LeBron James Free Agency Thread

Calipari said he is going to coach in Kentucky next year, but he didn't say where. He could have whatever pro team that hires him schedule a pre-season game anywhere in Kentucky. he is that devious.

Might LeBron sign for one year and then jerk everybody next year? One problem that might create for him is that I think fewer teams will be positioned to offer max money in 2011.

I have a long reply to type, but my elbow hurts, so I will have to do it later. My elbow was hurting last year too, that's why I didn't shake any hands when I got eliminated.

Poor rich Bron Bron. All that money and no title. We should feel real sorry for him and his elbow.

Calipari said he is going to coach in Kentucky next year, but he didn't say where. He could have whatever pro team that hires him schedule a pre-season game anywhere in Kentucky. he is that devious.

Might LeBron sign for one year and then jerk everybody next year? One problem that might create for him is that I think fewer teams will be positioned to offer max money in 2011.

If he were smart, he wouldn't. To say his pending free agency was a distraction this year would be a HUGE understatement. I wouldn't want to go through that again.

I understand that LBJ and Calipari are new BFFs, but I still don't see why there is this sort of buzz about coach Cal. Other than an NIT title, what exactly has he accomplished again??

OK, since you went ahead and started a thread, I'm going to give you my first impressions of Lebron's possible destinations.

Cleveland - I thought all along this was the most likely scenario, and it still may be...I think. But Lebron's play during the series, and especially games five and six, makes you wonder. No clue what to make of this Delonte West thing, or Lebron's relationship with the coach. I think if he does sign in Cleveland, it just might be either be a three year deal, or a longer than three year deal that gives Lebron an out after three years if he wants to exercise it.

Chicago - I know this is the current sexy choice, but I would be surprised. Will Lebron really want to play in a place where he cannot possibly match what Michael Jordan did? Especially since Jodan's spotlight still shines so brightly? If Lebron wins 2-3 championships in Chicago, which would be amazing, there will still be a large faction that says 'so what? Michael Jordan won six'. I don't put much stock in the Calipari rumors, it's possible he's the one starting these rumors himself to get more out of Kentucky.

New York - Calm down, all the 'Lebron countdowns' you see are just to sell papers. Still, you have to think the City is at the very least on Lebron's mind. And if Lebron wins 2-3 championships here (or even one)...nobody will say 'so what'. Lebron will be canonized Derek Jeter/Willis Reed/Joe Namath/Mark Messier style. And if he comes here he would never leave. Lebron would get drunk on the City. I would still be surprised, but I think it's at least a possibility.

New Jersey - What the heck does Jay-Z have to do with the Nets anyway? I honestly don't even know. The Nets are now owned by some billionnaire Russian dude. As I said, I don't see Lebron playing in Newark for 3-4 years, but I would not dismiss this because of talent. Add Lebron and John Wall to Brooke Lopez and Devin Harris, and you are ascending the NBA ladder so quickly you may get altitude sickness.

Miami - Would Lebron really join a team that is decidedly Dwyane Wade's? It's possible, of course, A-Rod seems to be fine that the Yankees will always be Derek Jeter's team, but basketball is different. And I think Lebron may be different too. Longshot at best.

LA Clippers - My sentimental choice. Think about it...not only is it the same city as Kobe, it's the same building! How delicious is that? It's not like the Clip Joint is out of the way in Long Beach or anything. The Clippers have some talent too, especially since they jettisoned Cory Maggette. Goodness knows what Donald Sterling will ever do, but the irony is fantastic. How many LA basketball fans, who forgot the Clippers even exist, would instantly jump on the bandwagon!

Everyone else seems to be a severe longshot at the moment.

Sandra

I've been thinking about that statement from the first time I heard somebody say that. What difference does it make? Do you NOT go to Boston because Russell, Bird, etc... played there. What about LA? Jabbar, Chamberlain, Magic.....You make you're own legacy by winning championships. Great tradition would be a draw in my book. Look how many players want to play for the Yankee's despite Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Ford, and the other 100 Hof's that have played there.

If he were smart, he wouldn't. To say his pending free agency was a distraction this year would be a HUGE understatement. I wouldn't want to go through that again.
To whom? Didn't they win more games than any other team this season? In the playoffs? I would think when he was on the court (LBJ) he wasn't thinking "where am I playing next season" while he was throwing up another jumper.

I've been thinking about that statement from the first time I heard somebody say that. What difference does it make? Do you NOT go to Boston because Russell, Bird, etc... played there. What about LA? Jabbar, Chamberlain, Magic.....You make you're own legacy by winning championships. Great tradition would be a draw in my book. Look how many players want to play for the Yankee's despite Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Ford, and the other 100 Hof's that have played there.

Fair point, but personally I see the Jordan situation as different from all the ones you mentioned. With the Yankees, the immortals played so long ago they are more legend than anything else.

With the Lakers and Celtics, they've had so many stars that it would not be a direct comparison. Those teams were also viewed as TEAMS more than one individual, as great as those individuals were.

Only in Chicago is Michael Jordan such a clear and over-riding face of the championships won by the franchise. This is what Lebron would be trying to live up to. Heck, Lebron even wears Jordan's number.

I think that is the one situation where the comparison is recent, and direct.

Sandra

Let's just say it shouldn't scare anyone who considers them self as "King". If establishing a legacy as Jordan's, then I would see Cleveland, or city that hasn't won a championship as hi destination.

If he did go to Chicago, how many championships would it take for them to erect his statue?:D

Let's just say it shouldn't scare anyone who considers them self as "King". If establishing a legacy as Jordan's, then I would see Cleveland, or city that hasn't won a championship as hi destination.

If he did go to Chicago, how many championships would it take for them to erect his statue?:D

Two 'Kings' at the Garden would be awesome! :)

Sandra

Sandra Mikhial Prokhorov is the "billionaire Russian dude". He is the principal owner of the Nets but not the sole owner. JayZ owns a piece. will that matter? I tend to doubt it but you never know.

Sandra Mikhial Prokhorov is the "billionaire Russian dude". He is the principal owner of the Nets but not the sole owner. JayZ owns a piece. will that matter? I tend to doubt it but you never know.

Interesting, thank you. Just out of curiosity, seems like Prokhorov is richer than God...why does he have a co-owner?

Sandra

For all the FA drama that the NBA will be this summer, I found it strange that nobody was talking about Kobe, who could have became a FA also. He quietly signed an extension a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting, thank you. Just out of curiosity, seems like Prokhorov is richer than God...why does he have a co-owner?

Sandra

Most teams are technically owned by groups not one individual. Prokhorov bought out the previosu principal owner and JayZ sort of came with the deal. He has worked to promote the team for whatever that might be worth.

Most teams are technically owned by groups not one individual. Prokhorov bought out the previosu principal owner and JayZ sort of came with the deal. He has worked to promote the team for whatever that might be worth.

Interesting. In Empire State of Mind I think he mentions 'Knicks and Nets give me high fives', but he talks about bleeding Yankee blue more than anything.

Sandra

Interesting. In Empire State of Mind I think he mentions 'Knicks and Nets give me high fives', but he talks about bleeding Yankee blue more than anything.

Sandra

I have heard of bleeding Dodger Blue before but I always thought only Steinbrenner family members were allowed to have pinstripes in their blood.

BINGO! Believe me when I tell you that they will not bring up HOW many MJ won because they are not counting how many one guy won and how many another won and Boston is the PERFECT example of that..as well as the Lakers and the Yankees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts