The LeBron James Free Agency Thread

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
As much as I don't want to fuel this already media-frenzied fire, I think we owe it to the teams left in the NBA playoffs to have their own thread to discuss what is most important: THE GAMES!

Let's use this thread for all the speculation & off-the-court drama surrounding LeBron...

As much as I don't want to fuel this already media-frenzied fire, I think we owe it to the teams left in the NBA playoffs to have their own thread to discuss what is most important: THE GAMES!

Let's use this thread for all the speculation & off-the-court drama surrounding LeBron...

HD, why create a thread that is going to drive you INSANE before the calendar turns to June, let alone July! :D

Sandra

:up:up:up I agree.

I'm so miserable I can't bear to watch anymore of the playoffs. :( At least I have the NHL!

Funny tidbit...

In the first 24 hours after the Celtics eliminated the Cavaliers from the NBA playoffs on Thursday, the Bulls sold more than 500 new full-season tickets and a team official estimated call volume at about 50-times the normal level, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Fans are getting pretty riled up over the prospect of landing LeBron, huh?

You know what would be really cool? If Lebron James signs with the LA CLIPPERS and takes the town over from Kobe Bryant!!! ;)

Sandra

yeah, or the Brooklyn Nets and takes professional basketball away from the NY Knicks. ;)

LOL that would be interesting. Only problem is, the Nets will be playing in Newark the next 3-4 years until the arena is built! Don't see Lebron leaving Cleveland for Newark. ;)

The Nets are like the Devils, even when they make it to the finals, nobody is paying attention!

Sandra

LeBron and Calipari to the Bulls?

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5194333"]Source: Chicago Bulls not discussing LeBron James-John Calipari package deal - ESPN[/ame]

From Deadspin column...

No matter if it's true or not, you know any of the teams in position to take the package deal would do so in a heartbeat. If it means landing LeBron, they'd be willing to put a scarecrow on the bench as coach (the Clippers did it for seven years). So the fact that we're even talking about this being in the realm of possibility? Well, I'd say LeBron's got nigh-unlimited bargaining power. The Knicks need to counter with an offer to name the team after him.

LMAO!!

OK, since you went ahead and started a thread, I'm going to give you my first impressions of Lebron's possible destinations.

Cleveland - I thought all along this was the most likely scenario, and it still may be...I think. But Lebron's play during the series, and especially games five and six, makes you wonder. No clue what to make of this Delonte West thing, or Lebron's relationship with the coach. I think if he does sign in Cleveland, it just might be either be a three year deal, or a longer than three year deal that gives Lebron an out after three years if he wants to exercise it.

Chicago - I know this is the current sexy choice, but I would be surprised. Will Lebron really want to play in a place where he cannot possibly match what Michael Jordan did? Especially since Jodan's spotlight still shines so brightly? If Lebron wins 2-3 championships in Chicago, which would be amazing, there will still be a large faction that says 'so what? Michael Jordan won six'. I don't put much stock in the Calipari rumors, it's possible he's the one starting these rumors himself to get more out of Kentucky.

New York - Calm down, all the 'Lebron countdowns' you see are just to sell papers. Still, you have to think the City is at the very least on Lebron's mind. And if Lebron wins 2-3 championships here (or even one)...nobody will say 'so what'. Lebron will be canonized Derek Jeter/Willis Reed/Joe Namath/Mark Messier style. And if he comes here he would never leave. Lebron would get drunk on the City. I would still be surprised, but I think it's at least a possibility.

New Jersey - What the heck does Jay-Z have to do with the Nets anyway? I honestly don't even know. The Nets are now owned by some billionnaire Russian dude. As I said, I don't see Lebron playing in Newark for 3-4 years, but I would not dismiss this because of talent. Add Lebron and John Wall to Brooke Lopez and Devin Harris, and you are ascending the NBA ladder so quickly you may get altitude sickness.

Miami - Would Lebron really join a team that is decidedly Dwyane Wade's? It's possible, of course, A-Rod seems to be fine that the Yankees will always be Derek Jeter's team, but basketball is different. And I think Lebron may be different too. Longshot at best.

LA Clippers - My sentimental choice. Think about it...not only is it the same city as Kobe, it's the same building! How delicious is that? It's not like the Clip Joint is out of the way in Long Beach or anything. The Clippers have some talent too, especially since they jettisoned Cory Maggette. Goodness knows what Donald Sterling will ever do, but the irony is fantastic. How many LA basketball fans, who forgot the Clippers even exist, would instantly jump on the bandwagon!

Everyone else seems to be a severe longshot at the moment.

Sandra

I am sticking with my prediction that LeBron will stay in Cleveland.

The Knicks have cap room, but nothing that cries out 'one piece of the puzzle away.'

The Nets have a new owner and mucho money, but they have a long way to go after such an abysmal season.

The Clippers? Please.

The Bulls? Maybe, but I don't think so. After all, didn't we just go through Joakim Noah and his Cleveland comment controversy. Also, the coaching situation is unresolved.

Plus, Cleveland has the money, and LeBron has been saying he wants to win. Other than possibly the Bulls, you can't say that about the other teams vying for him.

Let's just put it this way: I'm LESS sure LeBron will come back to Cleveland than I was a month ago.

Reasons being? The early exit by the Cavs and the way LeBron went out in the Celtic series.

Let's just put it this way: I'm LESS sure LeBron will come back to Cleveland than I was a month ago.

Me too. I still think Cleveland is the favorite if they figure some things out, but a month ago I thought it was a virtual certainty.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts