The Love of My B-Day. Walmart Special Deal on BD/PS3 11/24-11/25

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Well my 21st b day is 11/24, and it is shaping up to be amazing. Tailgating for the VT/UVA game, a wahoo ass whooping, VT vs BC in ACC Championship, a trip to the LIQUOR STORE :), and a special deal from wal-mart!

80 Gig PS3 at $499 as usual w/ Motorstorm, but the difference is that you can pick ANY 10 BD's from the store under $30 and they LEAVE WITH YOU THEN. Thats right, 10 INSTANT BD movies of your choice. And say your Wally World doesn't sell BD's right now. Well every walmart store will revieve a shipment for this promotion. Every Store! It begins at 8AM.

So effectively you are buying a PS3 for $199. And to top it off, the Wal-mart in Blacksburg, VA has always sold BD's since last year, but my walmart in my hometown NEVER has sold them. I have had my mom keep lookout and she never sees them there. Well tonight I walk in to get Uncharted, GS was closed, and lo and behold what is at the front of the Electronics DEPT, where normally the New CD's are displayed on the front rack, a Shelf of 5 BD Columns and 3 HD-DVD columns. I was shocked. Lady next to me nearly had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Haha. Only problem is that in Halifax Co. I know no one knows what in the hell a Blu-ray is. The people in this town are the most simple minded 19" TV yielding people you will ever meet. I love the fact that it's not big city crowded, but the people, blah.

Well enough of that, thought you would enjoy the deal, so g/l to all in getting it.

On 11/24 at 8:00am (running through 11:59pm on 11/25), the 80GB PS3 ($499) will come with 10 FREE Blu-ray movies instantly. You choose any 10 BD titles under $30 within the store and they will override the prices to zero. For those stores that carry BD already, additional titles are being sent in for the sale. For those that do not have BD in their store (a small minority) product will be sent to each store specifically for this sale.[\i]

Wal-mart Secret Sale: 80gb ps3 with 15 free Blu-Ray movies... - AVS Forum
Note: I first saw it at blu-ray.com, but to satisfy Vurbano, I found a more "reputable" link. :)

While I admit this is a great deal, let us keep it in perspective:
1) What are these movies titles? What if they all suck, with titles like "Ernest Goes to Camp"?
2) This assumes the consumer is willing to put up with the 70 decibels of fan noise the PS3 puts out while watching movies. Not to mention the 5,000 BTUs of heat.
3) The ad states "minimum 2 per store"... uh-huh, good luck wrestling with alll the toothless white trash and ghetto fabulous folks (let's hope they have a metal detector at the store).

1) What are these movies titles? What if they all suck, with titles like "Ernest Goes to Camp"?
2) This assumes the consumer is willing to put up with the 70 decibels of fan noise the PS3 puts out while watching movies. Not to mention the 5,000 BTUs of heat.
3) The ad states "minimum 2 per store"... uh-huh, good luck wrestling with alll the toothless white trash and ghetto fabulous folks (let's hope they have a metal detector at the store).

I disagree with your perspective:

1) The freebies for BD and HDDVD arent great BUT there are always some good movies especially if you are just buying into the format.

2) My 60gig is QUIET. While ive seen the complaining, mines quiet so dont assume all are loud. As far as heat goes, its not different than my DVR or the heat my tv blows out. What I like is people that shove players/dvr's into a little cubbyhole with a door somewhere in there ent center than complain because it fails or overheats.

3) Not even justifying this one with a reply

I'll do a C/P of my reply to this as you posted the same thing in the war zone and in the blu-ray forum

Did you read the article?

1. it's any 10 in the store priced under $30 each. For me that is about 50 movies to chose from ranging from new-release to initial releases

2. 70 decidbel? is this a meter you used? Cause 70 decibels is actually kind of loud if you know the scale. I would say my PS3's are more like 20-30 decibels when fan is kicked on high. Some are different, I am just speaking of my two units (which run F@H most of the time so they get warm)
Decibel Levels of Common Sounds
Heat, yes, it puts out heat, which in the winter is a nice addition to the house for me. In the summer, well, I had no issues with my inital model and I don't suspect any issues with my new one either.

3. Not a high opinion of walmart clientele eh? I guess cause I shopped there for the HD-A2 and got some HD-DVD's and BD discs there this year, I must be ghetto-fabulous, toothless piece of trash who has spent all my money on HD-TV's and games while my kids starve.... Cmon seriously, let's not start grouping everyone into large societal stereotypes.

my walmart has all the new movies

Roachxp, If you read the articles it says ANY title the store has. My walmart have about 50 BD titles right now. So either we choose from all the titles or workers are going to pull all of them and only put 15-20 catalog titles out?

Sounds like a winner deal to me...and odd that the skeptics come out so sure that it's got to have a catch. I was out this past weekend trying to snag a PS3 w/ that 20% off K-Mart coupon, which didn't work out (only had the low-end 40GB, which I don't want); then I tried Costco for their CoD4 bundle, and they didn't have any PS3s in stock (which seemed 'fishy' to me)...so I resigned myself to the hope of a great Black Friday deal surfacing. And lo and behold!

Funny. I don't remember people insisting/questioning that there must be a 'catch' in the $99 HD-DVD player deal a couple of weeks ago. A loss leader, maybe, but no 'catch'...

Well my 21st b day is 11/24, and it is shaping up to be amazing. Tailgating for the VT/UVA game, a wahoo ass whooping, VT vs BC in ACC Championship, a trip to the LIQUOR STORE :), and a special deal from wal-mart!

80 Gig PS3 at $499 as usual w/ Motorstorm, but the difference is that you can pick ANY 10 BD's from the store under $30 and they LEAVE WITH YOU THEN. Thats right, 10 INSTANT BD movies of your choice. And say your Wally World doesn't sell BD's right now. Well every walmart store will revieve a shipment for this promotion. Every Store! It begins at 8AM.

So effectively you are buying a PS3 for $199. And to top it off, the Wal-mart in Blacksburg, VA has always sold BD's since last year, but my walmart in my hometown NEVER has sold them. I have had my mom keep lookout and she never sees them there. Well tonight I walk in to get Uncharted, GS was closed, and lo and behold what is at the front of the Electronics DEPT, where normally the New CD's are displayed on the front rack, a Shelf of 5 BD Columns and 3 HD-DVD columns. I was shocked. Lady next to me nearly had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Haha. Only problem is that in Halifax Co. I know no one knows what in the hell a Blu-ray is. The people in this town are the most simple minded 19" TV yielding people you will ever meet. I love the fact that it's not big city crowded, but the people, blah.

Well enough of that, thought you would enjoy the deal, so g/l to all in getting it.

On 11/24 at 8:00am (running through 11:59pm on 11/25), the 80GB PS3 ($499) will come with 10 FREE Blu-ray movies instantly. You choose any 10 BD titles under $30 within the store and they will override the prices to zero. For those stores that carry BD already, additional titles are being sent in for the sale. For those that do not have BD in their store (a small minority) product will be sent to each store specifically for this sale.[\i]

Wal-mart Secret Sale: 80gb ps3 with 15 free Blu-Ray movies... - AVS Forum
Note: I first saw it at blu-ray.com, but to satisfy Vurbano, I found a more "reputable" link. :)
old news.

3. Not a high opinion of walmart clientele eh? I guess cause I shopped there for the HD-A2 and got some HD-DVD's and BD discs there this year, I must be ghetto-fabulous, toothless piece of trash who has spent all my money on HD-TV's and games while my kids starve.... Cmon seriously, let's not start grouping everyone into large societal stereotypes.

He is certainly right about this. A huge majority of Walmart regulars are low class scumbags. Anybody that says otherwise has spent too much time under a rock or in the store! Walmart is full of white trash, black trash, welfare trash, and everything in between. Personally, I only go in there about once a year and when I do, I feel like I need a shower when I leave. I've got dirty fat lardasses bumping into me left and right, that is when they aren't stopping in the middle of the aisle, blocking me. I just hate the feeling of entering that store.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'd like to take up this deal but know if I went into the store I'd be knocked over by trashy people, and lucky to get a unit (2 per store minimum). Yes, it is that bad, and the fellow shoppers would be my number one reason for skipping this deal, and not even stepping foot in that store. I'd jump on a $499 deal at Compusa with half as many free bluray discs of my choice in a heartbeat over Walmart's deal.

Let's get real people. Walmart regulars are the lowest of the low in this nation. Let the truth be told.

Not everyone that shops there is a scumbag, but most of the regulars are, yes. He wasn't lumping you into the toothless group. Just because you shop there doesn't make you one, just amongst them in the crowd.

He is certainly right about this. A huge majority of Walmart regulars are low class scumbags. Anybody that says otherwise has spent too much time under a rock or in the store! Walmart is full of white trash, black trash, welfare trash, and everything in between.

Let's get real people. Walmart regulars are the lowest of the low in this nation. Let the truth be told.

Well, I consider myself a walmart regular and guess what, so do many of my friends who happen to be 3 doctors, 4 dentists, 1 lawyer (ok, their low on the list :) but at least this one fights against dead-beat dads), 2 state police, and just some good old blue-collar factory workers. Not a single one of them do I consider any form of trash. Local walmarts have everything from college kid beater cars to BMW's and Mercedes. Walmart customers are no different that Target or Bestbuy etc. I see no glaringly different type of people at walmart that I see everywhere else.

I guess I'm just a trashy scum bag blinded by my couple visits a month to walmart.
Ho-hum. gotta go get my 30 dogs off my porch so I can get to my 10 cars up on blocks in my yard and go drink some beer with people in the street and wait for my welfare check for all my kids from 3 mothers.

Vurbano,
Now a single BD title in my local walmart's is over $30 except box sets.

...A huge majority of Walmart regulars are low class scumbags.
...Walmart is full of white trash, black trash, welfare trash, and everything in between.
...if I went into the store I'd be knocked over by trashy people...
...Walmart regulars are the lowest of the low in this nation.
Anybody ever wondering why sometimes Americans are hated in the world, shouldn't look any further than this...

Diogen.