The MLB Network starts Jan. 1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
The MLB Network is starting on Jan. 1, 09 and was wondering what you think about it. I wonder why they would start in Jan. in the middle of offseason but whatever. I would like to see how the network rates with the other ones. The ones being -The NFL, NHL and NBA TV. Will they produce a lot of games and have original programming as well as classic games, which many of you know, I love.

Or is it going to be showing the same shows over and over again. Ex. NFL Total Access. I know why they show it but they show it constantly. Out of 24 hrs. in the day, they must show Total Access about 10 or 11 times. Ok, I just looked up from now which is 1:34 am to 1:34 am the next day. Well, they have Total Access at 4 am and then 7 to 12 pm... The bottom line is in a 24 hr. day they will show that show 9 times. I mean, I think that's a bit much. Well, I'm rambling so I'll stop but anyway here's a 30 second clip about MLB Network.

MLB Network | MLB.com: mlbnetwork

Wow, Sabres that was fast!!! You responded a minute after I posted this. I hope they do a good job too. I don't watch the NHL Network that much but from what I've seen they've done a half way decent job with the old stuff.

How typical of Selig-run MLB is it that it comes to the table years after the NFL Network, NHL Network, NBA TV, and even Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Big 10 Network, and SPEED (NASCAR Channnel, de facto)? And, indeed, why launch on a big sports day in the middle of winter. Obvious dates would be the day after the World Series (so it can be hyped big time during the Series), the start of Spring Training, the start of the regular season, even the day after the Super Bowl.

How typical is it that, less than four months from launch, it has one filler web page with no infomoration of what systems will carry it, or what programming it will offer?

As to live games, it will have one out of market game per week, blacked out in market. I doubt they will have much "classic" action. Most game tapes of regular season game coverage until the 1990s was never saved.

Wow. This was news to me. Thanks for the scoop Mets!

Anyways, I welcome the idea. There's plenty of archived games this channel can cover. Plus, there's baseball going on all year round, with the Dominican League's and Spring Training in MLB's offseason. I also hope they are able to cover each team equally and not be biased towards the major markets.

My only request is that they show as much HD as possible. The NFL Network's studio shows are still in SD and I can't stand this! MLB, please don't cheap out!

I can't speak for the studio portion being in HD or SD, but MLB Network will have a HD channel and a SD channel simultaneously - one of the pairs being the primary feed and one of the pairs being a blackout one for those areas that need to be blacked out from the primary feed and need alternate programming.

Considering most of the games are now televised in HD and they supposedly are building a new studio for the network, I feel pretty confident that the studio highlights show will be in HD and not just the highlights portion.

here's what else I know about MLB Network, from a regulatory filing I came across recently.

Quoting MLB Network from parts of their regulatory filing:

The MLB Network is a limited liability company, the members of which are affiliates of Major League Baseball Enterprises, Inc., the 30 MLB clubs, DirecTV Group Inc. (“DirecTV”), Comcast Corporation (“Comcast”), Time Warner Cable Inc. (“Time Warner”) and Cox Communications Inc. (“Cox”). Formed to offer a cable channel dedicated to baseball, it did not begin substantial operations until this summer.

The MLB Network is scheduled to launch on January 1, 2009, at which time it will be delivered to approximately 50 million homes based on its estimates from current distribution agreements with DirecTV, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Cablevision Systems Corporation, Charter Communications Holdings LLC and over 25 other smaller cable operators (collectively called “Affiliates”). Based upon the number of homes in which it will be available, The MLB Network is expected to have the most successful launch of a new cable network in television history.

The MLB Network will offer viewers complete access to the sport of baseball for the first time. The Network’s programming will include live MLB games, live studio shows and classic games. To supplement its live programming, The MLB Network has identified and earmarked a cache of 150 potential shows ranging from high-end documentaries to list-oriented programming, such as “Baseball’s Greatest Inning” and instructional programming. While the Network’s focus will be on Major League Baseball, it also will offer other baseball-related programming, such as access to other professional and amateur leagues and competitions. Such
programs will include the 2009 World Baseball Classic (the premier international baseball tournament) and may include the Arizona Fall League, the Caribbean Series and elite summer amateur leagues. As a 24-hour cable channel, The MLB Network will become the premier destination for baseball information, programming and entertainment: all baseball, all the time.

The record level of interest that multichannel video programming distributors have shown in carrying The MLB Network demonstrates the public’s currently unmet demand for such content.

-- end regulatory filing quoting --

I hope they offer the channel in their MLB.TV package that I subscribe to - I know there won't be any chance in hades that DISH network will offer the channel, given how adding sports channels is like pulling teeth plus the flap over this channel being part of the MLB EI renewal negotiations a season or two ago.

Thats great no Dish network. Way to go Charlie...the ball just keeps being dropped by you. I hope the HD scene changes at dish "soon", because we hardley hear anything from you.

I don't know what to think about it. I just hope if they show games that they don't do any kind of blackout crap.

I wonder if it's too much to ask for this channel to be available in DirecTV's Choice Extra+ HD package, instead of making it a premium sports channel like NBA-TV?

NFL, Tennis, BTN and NHL channel are all available with the rest of the HD channels. I only hope the same for MLB Network.

I wonder if it's too much to ask for this channel to be available in DirecTV's Choice Extra+ HD package, instead of making it a premium sports channel like NBA-TV?

NFL, Tennis, BTN and NHL channel are all available with the rest of the HD channels. I only hope the same for MLB Network.

You can wish in one hand and......well you know the rest.

MLB TV is a supplement channel with it's EI package. In-Demand and Directv are the part owners.
Bascially if you have EI available from your Cable Co. you will have MLB TV, and yes it will be packaged the same way as NBA TV is.
Dish doesn't have EI, so they can't offer MLB TV.

MLB TV is a supplement channel with it's EI package. In-Demand and Directv are the part owners.
Bascially if you have EI available from your Cable Co. you will have MLB TV, and yes it will be packaged the same way as NBA TV is.
Dish doesn't have EI, so they can't offer MLB TV.

I subscribe to MLB.TV, the MLBAM's internet package since it's way cheaper than DIRECTV and fits my schedule better, especially with condensed games and archives.

I hope MLBAM puts the MLB Network in their MLB.TV feed so I can watch it sometimes because I"m not going to hold my breath hoping DISH Network adds it until at least 2013 or so when MLB EI comes up for renegotiation.

I don't know what to think about it. I just hope if they show games that they don't do any kind of blackout crap.

the live games (at least) will be blacked out in some markets and why MLB Network, when they bring up their satellite test signal in November, is going to do a lot of testing related to blackouts so they can make sure that works when they launch the channel and need to black out MLB Network in some areas during some programming.

How typical of Selig-run MLB is it that it comes to the table years after the NFL Network, NHL Network, NBA TV, and even Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Big 10 Network, and SPEED (NASCAR Channnel, de facto)? And, indeed, why launch on a big sports day in the middle of winter. Obvious dates would be the day after the World Series (so it can be hyped big time during the Series), the start of Spring Training, the start of the regular season, even the day after the Super Bowl.

How typical is it that, less than four months from launch, it has one filler web page with no infomoration of what systems will carry it, or what programming it will offer?

As to live games, it will have one out of market game per week, blacked out in market. I doubt they will have much "classic" action. Most game tapes of regular season game coverage until the 1990s was never saved.

I would think Feb 1st would be about the right time to start it, a week or so before players start reporting, hopefully it will cover Spring Training events.

Jimbo

I think Jan 1 is perfect, more or less. The hot stove is still pretty strong as teams work towards finalizing acquisitions and getting ready for an earlier spring training due to the WBC.

If NFL Network can BS during the "offseason", so can MLB Network while wasting the days away to spring training opening.

I think Jan 1 is perfect, more or less. The hot stove is still pretty strong as teams work towards finalizing acquisitions and getting ready for an earlier spring training due to the WBC.

If NFL Network can BS during the "offseason", so can MLB Network while wasting the days away to spring training opening.

I think their point was, why start on the busy day of Jan 1 with all the football going on, no one will be watching it. :)

Jimbo

Conspiracy Theory --> January is when people will jump to Direct for MLB, anyone wondering why old customers can go with the new packages in February . . stop the bleeding?

Conspiracy Theory --> January is when people will jump to Direct for MLB, anyone wondering why old customers can go with the new packages in February . . stop the bleeding?

Not to mention the Baseball Classic and the end of the Caribbean World Series ending at that time.

MLB Network Hires Matt Vasgersian

MLB Network is about to make its first official on-air hire, signing Matt Vasgersian (longtime Padres Broadcaster) as its main studio host for the nightly "MLB Tonight" show, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. Vasgersian had been the lead play-by-play announcer for Padres' TV games and has done work with Fox, as well. As the main host of MLB Network's nightly show, Vasgersian will be the net's most visible on-air personality. An official announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.

MLB Network is launching January 1 to about 50 million homes. It has been talking with Harold Reynolds and Hazel Mae about on-air positions and has had conversations with Bob Costas about an on-air role.

Awful Announcing: MLB Network Hires Matt Vasgersian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)