The MLB Network starts Jan. 1

Well, I'm hoping that E* doesn't play their usual "Sports? We don't give a crap" and they add the channel.

They shocked me when they added the NFL channel, and hopefully they will do it again and add this channel......

For DirecTV customers the Channel is going to be placed on Channel #213. I think it would be available in most packages.

MLB Network will be in the CHOICE, CHOICE XTRA and PREMIER packages on channel 213 starting New Years Day.

Wonder if it will be available to those who still have the old Choice Plus package.

You mean the old Total Choice + ?

I would say YES, provided the info above is correct that it will be in the regular packages.
Awhile back it was being rumored that it was only going to those with the MLB package, I'm hoping thats not the case...

I've heard the same thing. Just holding my breath until January 1st to confirm.

I don't get the "premium" nature that you all feel about the channel. DIRECTV has an investment in the channel so I can't see why they'd make it premium in nature and cut off carriage of potentially millions of subscribers who get CHOICE or above but don't subscribe to EI.

It's easy to see making it available to those who at least have CHOICE level to discourage purchases of inexpensive FAMILY package or not make it available to those like me (if I was still a customer) and had the limited package.

I wonder if this channel will be any good .... everyones waiting for it .. there's probably no "Live Games" on it at least in the beginning.
How often do you guys watch the NFL Channel if there not a game on ?
Will the MLB channel be the same idea ?

Jimbo

Jimbo a couple of points that might help.

I believe where you might have got the impression about the MLB chanel only being available for those with the EI package was thinking that was the customer model instead of the provider model.

That is true for the Cable/DBS providers. Thus if your Cable/DBS provider doesn't carry the "EI package" that provider will also not be allowed to carry the MLB Channel. That's why DISH is shut out completely with no hope of having the MLB Channel.

Also the MLB network will have 26 Live MLB regular season Games on Thursday Nights.

I don't get the "premium" nature that you all feel about the channel. DIRECTV has an investment in the channel so I can't see why they'd make it premium in nature and cut off carriage of potentially millions of subscribers who get CHOICE or above but don't subscribe to EI.

It's easy to see making it available to those who at least have CHOICE level to discourage purchases of inexpensive FAMILY package or not make it available to those like me (if I was still a customer) and had the limited package.

My reservation is because D* made NBA TV is a "premium" channel. On the other side, NFL Network is not. You understand my uncertainty?

On our Comcast system it was added last week. Put on the digital tier, not a sports tier. Just showing loops of World Series, All-star & World Baseball classic highlights right now. Since D* has an interest in this channel, I think they will do the same thing.

Jimbo a couple of points that might help.

I believe where you might have got the impression about the MLB chanel only being available for those with the EI package was thinking that was the customer model instead of the provider model.

That is true for the Cable/DBS providers. Thus if your Cable/DBS provider doesn't carry the "EI package" that provider will also not be allowed to carry the MLB Channel. That's why DISH is shut out completely with no hope of having the MLB Channel.

Also the MLB network will have 26 Live MLB regular season Games on Thursday Nights.

You've made good points here and they are in the positive, as in GOOD for us !
I was not aware of the Live games till now, will this channel and games be in HD ?

Jimbo

Y
I was not aware of the Live games till now, will this channel and games be in HD ?

Jimbo

yes, they should be in HD (MLB Network has primary SD and HD channel and blackout SD and HD channels).

another poster -- as for the premium confusion, now I get it. What I posted a few days ago was direct from DIRECTV so that should be pretty clear MLB Network is not a premium channel (but you aren't going to get it in family or limited levels at least).

david1314 - are you sure DISH has no chance for MLB Network until at least 2013? I thought DISH could contract for MLB Network before then (but not get EI back) and that the last EI negotiations included MLB Network just to assure MLB that the network would get carriage upon launch by tying the two together during those negotiations.

I do think MLB Network will get viewership from MLB fans for the classic games and for the nightly studio show that if I understand it right is BS'ing between live look-ins at live games around the league. I know if some of my favorite teams weren't playing at a given time, I would watch the studio show to get quick look-ins of randomly selected MLB games through the evening.

Whether MLB Network will envoke greater passion in casual fans to make them die-hard fans or turn non-fans into fans, I don't know.

Skysurfer,
my understanding is that DISH is out for the duration of the Current deal for MLB EI carriers. Them not carrying that product(MLB EI) makes them also inelgible to carry the MLB Network.

Network and Games will be available in HD.

I can't figure out what channel it's going to be on Comcast. It doesn't say when I go to Comcast's website.

Interesting article - Detroit News

Friday, December 26, 2008
Baseball
Channel will spread focus
MLB Network aims to give fans of all major league teams enough to hold their attention.
Rachel Cohen / Associated Press

SECAUCUS, N.J. -- The Mariners could be lurching toward a 101-loss season as they were late last summer and Harold Reynolds would still want his game highlights.

Reynolds, a former All-Star second baseman with the Mariners, figures many fans are like him, loyal to their favorite team whether it's in first place or last, and hankering to see what happened each night as quickly as possible.

The MLB Network is set to launch Jan. 1, and it might seem that a 24-hour channel is aimed at fans who passionately follow the entire league. But as their numbers dwindle, they aren't the viewers president and CEO Tony Petitti is relying on to sustain the network.

Advertisement
Click here to find out more! Quantcast

The reality of TV sports today is that World Series ratings fluctuate greatly from year to year depending on who's playing. Still, many teams draw large audiences in their home markets. So while the MLB Network is national, Petitti likes to think of it as a conglomeration of regional interests.

"We want to complement the way fans watch their local team," Petitti said during a Dec. 17 tour of the network's studios.

For the first year at least, the network will be more focused on highlights and analysis than live games. It will air only 26 regular-season matchups, but will broadcast an eight-hour highlight show six nights a week. The lengthy time slot will require two shifts of commentators.

Matt Vasgersian and Victor Rojas will serve as hosts, with former players Reynolds, Al Leiter, Joe Magrane and Dan Plesac as analysts.

Petitti hopes that fans seeking an update on a particular game will learn to automatically flip to MLB Network, confident they will be quickly rewarded. The network will be able to do live look-ins and show highlights while the game is still going on.

"If we establish a pattern, we've done a good job," he said.
No team left behind

It's no secret the program's main competition will be ESPN, specifically its "Baseball Tonight" franchise. The new network's highlight show is even similarly named: "MLB Tonight."

Petitti diplomatically notes that because "MLB Tonight" lasts so much longer than "Baseball Tonight," a different structure is inevitable. But it's also clear the new network seeks to capitalize on the perception, fair or not, that ESPN spends most of its time focusing on a few teams.

So Petitti is promising an egalitarian approach. Pennant chases and major controversies will get plenty of coverage, of course, but fans of every team can expect regular and complete highlights no matter how small the club's market or poor its record.

Petitti, a former CBS Sports executive, compares the balancing act to airing the early rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, something he was quite familiar with at his old job.

MLB Network will initially be available in about 50 million of the country's approximately 114.5 million homes with televisions, through deals with DirecTV and major cable companies, including -- take heart, Detroit-area baseball fans -- Comcast. It's the most households in which a new cable channel has ever made its debut.

The network will launch at 6 p.m. EST on New Year's Day with an edition of "Hot Stove," its offseason studio show. The original broadcast of Don Larsen's perfect game from the 1956 World Series will follow.
Major investment

MLB Network is spending more than $50 million to hire staff, build sets and renovate its facility. It's housed in the former MSNBC studios, a 140,000-square-foot building in a quiet office park a few miles west of Manhattan. The network scrapped plans to move its headquarters to a new office in Harlem.

One of the two main studios -- named No. 42 for Jackie Robinson -- is designed as a replica ballpark, with a half-scale infield and details down to a fake bullpen phone and "No Pepper" painted on the brick wall. The mound can be moved to regulation distance should analysts want to demonstrate techniques.

Petitti expects to eventually have about 250 employees. The number was nearly 165 in mid-December; it was 60 at the start of November and fewer than 10 at the end of July.

"It was like Jack Nicholson from 'The Shining,' basically," Petitti said of walking around the studios back then.

Baseball joins the NFL, NBA and NHL in launching its own channel. As the network looks to fill hour after hour, it enjoys the advantage of a sport in which teams play nearly every day, creating new highlights and developments to constantly air and discuss.

"If you look at sports and who should have a 24-7 network," Petitti said, "baseball is pretty much the obvious one that would work."

Channel will spread focus | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I totally agree with everything in this article. I think "MLB Tonight" will be good and I don't see it as competition with ESPN because as you've seen with the NFL, you could never have too many shows. I think people will watch those shows whether there are 2 of those shows on or 10 because there fans. Also, maybe people have to watch one show over another because they can't make it or they have other plans. For ex., you may miss Baseball Tonight because of something but MLB Tonight will be on to get your fix of baseball.

I also agree with Harold Reynolds with covering your team. If your in first or last place you still want to know about your team. That's why I was always a big proponent of showing old or classic games from your favorite team because your a FAN of that team. I'd love to see Mets games from the 80s because I don't remember them and because I'm a fan of the team. I think this network is going to do very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)