The MLB Network starts Jan. 1

So they (Comcast) just found out about this channel last week ? :D:D:D:D

Jimbo

I don't think so. I just think whatever channels that's needed put the channel on, I guess because of the holidays they couldn't do it. I'm not the only person. The person I said have had a lot of complaints so I'm not the only one. But the person I talked too probably doesn't know the specific reason.

I don't think so. I just think whatever channels that's needed put the channel on, I guess because of the holidays they couldn't do it.

Wow, what a lazy cable company! A test signal has been live for at least a week - your cableco could have setup the channel before Christmas and had promos air throughout the holidays until today's launch.

btw, MLB Network not streaming through MLB.TV as far as I can tell. Too bad, it should be. ;)

A few impressions from watching the rebroadcast of Larsen's perfect game...I wish the Vin Scully of today would listen to the Vin Scully of '56. It's painful for me to listen to him these days -- he just will not shut up! I was pleasantly surprised listening to him on the rebroadcast. Second, I'm hoping that Bob Costas won't have a major role on this channel. He's just another sportscaster who takes himself too seriously because of his overexposure. I was just shaking my head when he was talking with (to) Don and Yogi. Costas was constantly trying to make things seem more complicated than they actually were. To paraphrase Yogi, they were just mixing their pitches and going with what was working. Third, the one-man booth. I don't know about you, but that definitely worked for me. When did they decide that we needed an "analyst" or "color" guy to explain the obvious to us? Finally, it was amazing to see only one sponsor for such a big event as the World Series. Just goes to show you how much sports has grown as an industry.

I enjoyed this channel, I got to watch a old yankees game and never realized that mickey mantle had such a nice stroke, I knew he was a good hitter, but his swing was nice (still not better then Ken Griffey Jr. but whos swing is better?)

A few impressions from watching the rebroadcast of Larsen's perfect game...I wish the Vin Scully of today would listen to the Vin Scully of '56. It's painful for me to listen to him these days -- he just will not shut up! I was pleasantly surprised listening to him on the rebroadcast. Second, I'm hoping that Bob Costas won't have a major role on this channel. He's just another sportscaster who takes himself too seriously because of his overexposure. I was just shaking my head when he was talking with (to) Don and Yogi. Costas was constantly trying to make things seem more complicated than they actually were. To paraphrase Yogi, they were just mixing their pitches and going with what was working. Third, the one-man booth. I don't know about you, but that definitely worked for me. When did they decide that we needed an "analyst" or "color" guy to explain the obvious to us? Finally, it was amazing to see only one sponsor for such a big event as the World Series. Just goes to show you how much sports has grown as an industry.

I don't mind the two announcer booth, but I don't like a 3 or more booth, this would go for all sports.

Jimbo

I loved that they played the actual commercials during the Larson game. A Gillette razor kit with a free Baseball Encyclopedia all for only $1.00!!! I really felt like I was a part of the game.

After watching that rebroadcast though, I do appreciate the modern technologies we have today. Primarily the multiple cameras capturing all the angles and closeups of players. If that game had taken place today, it would've been much more dramatic.

I loved that they played the actual commercials during the Larson game. A Gillette razor kit with a free Baseball Encyclopedia all for only $1.00!!!

Can't wait to see those old commercials for other games!

So far, I'm kinda disappointed in the MLB channel....
At least part of it.
I tuned in to see "The Hot Stove Live" thinking that it would be a show based around the Hot Stove , trades and FA signings and opinions of what has and may happen in the off season, but there has been NONE of that, maybe a minute in the beginning, but I don't remember now.

Jimbo

Larson's perfect game

For those of you that missed the game the other day...
It will be on at 11 am today from what they said, it will run till 2 pm and be rebroadcast from time to time

I just called Comcast about the Mlb Network. They said they are working on getting the channel. I don't know why we still don't have the channel yet. They said that they don't know when the channel will be available but they are working on it.
I guess when the MLB Network said it's going to debut on Jan. 1, I guess Comcast must have thought Jan. 1, 2010 instead of 09.

I just called Comcast about the Mlb Network. They said they are working on getting the channel. I don't know why we still don't have the channel yet. They said that they don't know when the channel will be available but they are working on it.
I guess when the MLB Network said it's going to debut on Jan. 1, I guess Comcast must have thought Jan. 1, 2010 instead of 09.

Clueless CSRs ... a plentiful commodity at all the multichannel providers...

At least part of it.
I tuned in to see "The Hot Stove Live" thinking that it would be a show based around the Hot Stove , trades and FA signings and opinions of what has and may happen in the off season, but there has been NONE of that, maybe a minute in the beginning, but I don't remember now.

Jimbo

They Hot Stove'n big time right now.

I'll catch it @ 7PM PST. I think they are improving daily and it is so wise of them to give themselves a long month or so before things really get moving to work the kinks out of the programming.

I think "Baseball Tonight" on ESPN is in big trouble now.

After watching that rebroadcast though, I do appreciate the modern technologies we have today. Primarily the multiple cameras capturing all the angles and closeups of players. If that game had taken place today, it would've been much more dramatic.

I saw some of that game the other night and you're right. Mickey Mantle made a great running catch at some point, and I would have loved to have seen it again but there was no instant replay in those days.

At least part of it.

Jimbo

Yes, I saw that too.
Maybe it was a slow day for Hot Stovin' the other day. :D

I'm starting to think this is another Bonehead Selig moment to launch MLB Network on Jan 1.

A lot of cableco's seem to be having issues not having MLB Network on their lineups at launch day. Maybe MLB Network should have launched January 15th, so cableco engineers could get back from holiday vacations, set up the digicipher gear, set up the tier configurations, and be ready for Selig's ugly mug to introduce and overhype the network in the network's official opening moment.

I'm starting to think this is another Bonehead Selig moment to launch MLB Network on Jan 1.

A lot of cableco's seem to be having issues not having MLB Network on their lineups at launch day. Maybe MLB Network should have launched January 15th, so cableco engineers could get back from holiday vacations, set up the digicipher gear, set up the tier configurations, and be ready for Selig's ugly mug to introduce and overhype the network in the network's official opening moment.

Put the blame where it lies.

Squarely on the shoulders of the Cable Companies.

This Network has been in planning and the launch date has been known for months.

If you don't have it then blame the total incompetence of your current Cable provider. If you're a DISH sub then you are SOL. No sense in wasting your time or having your BP skyrocket.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)