The MLB Network starts Jan. 1

Skysurfer,
my understanding is that DISH is out for the duration of the Current deal for MLB EI carriers. Them not carrying that product(MLB EI) makes them also inelgible to carry the MLB Network.

That's pretty stupid for MLB Network if your understanding is correct -- if Charlie was high on crack cocaine and told MLB Network he would pay $2/mo. or whatever a monthly carriage fee would be, MLB Network would be forced to decline the agreement and lose out on an additional 13 million households that came with it.

I have to think operators could carry MLB Network (just not negotiate for EI until 2013) for the right price in order for MLB Network to increase carriage.

That's pretty stupid for MLB Network if your understanding is correct -- if Charlie was high on crack cocaine and told MLB Network he would pay $2/mo. or whatever a monthly carriage fee would be, MLB Network would be forced to decline the agreement and lose out on an additional 13 million households that came with it.

I have to think operators could carry MLB Network (just not negotiate for EI until 2013) for the right price in order for MLB Network to increase carriage.

skysurfer,
Another point that probably hurts DISH is the fact that both DirecTV and the IN DEMAND Cable consortium are both equity holders in the MLB Network. I believe together they own roughly 35% of the network.

They would both have to sign off for DISH to be allowed as a carrier. I don't think that will happen. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I read that MLB will be converting about 30 world series to a "HD Picture" Pretty cool!

Hopefully the 1984 Tigers WS will be one of them!!

I'll be busy watching the Winter Classic and most of the bowl games, but I'll check out the MLB Network during the dud that is the Orange Bowl.

I'll be in and out all day with the bowl games, Winter Classic and The MLB Network. It looks like the Mlb Network looks like it's going to be a good network. I'll check out the Winter Classic. I'm not a real hockey fan but the Winter Classic intrigues me.
I would like to see what they have for classic games. I know they are showing a couple of the 1989 ALCS but I would like to see what else they show.

I wonder if this network will do some things ala the NHL Network.

For instance, will they have their own version of "On The Fly?"

Will they have an hour-long review of playoff series ala "Classic Series" on the NHL Network?

As far as I'm concerned, for all of those complaining about ESPN Classic not showing old baseball games- this network will take care of that.

As far as I'm concerned, for all of those complaining about ESPN Classic not showing old baseball games- this network will take care of that.

I"m not sure about that. They'll probably be all hacked up like ESPN Classic games (3-4 hours into a 2 hour time window leaving lots of room for ads).

I think I'd almost want the turner time compression routine done to the games to fit the full games into a 2 hour window than to hack up games to make them fit.

Well, I got news for you. I don't get the channel. The channel is supposed to be on 185 and it's not on. The channel 185 is the Connecticut Sports Programming or something like that which broadcasts high school games. Now, as of this moment if you turn the channel on, they are showing high school games but there is interference which makes me think the channel is going to air soon. Hopefully. If not I'm going to be pissed off!!!

Hopefully, come the 2009 All-Star Game, the network will show old MLB Midsummer Classics.

The NBA and NHL Networks do that; ESPN used to before they fell in love with stupid poker reruns.

The MLB Network will show respect for the Midsummer Classic come July.

Don't rub it in. :) I did call Comcast and they said that the channel wasn't up yet. They've also heard a lot of complaints about how it's not available. Well, apparently, the channel will be on within the week. Also, with the holiday they couldn't get the channel up or something. But at least I know I will be getting it soon.

Don't rub it in. :) I did call Comcast and they said that the channel wasn't up yet. They've also heard a lot of complaints about how it's not available. Well, apparently, the channel will be on within the week. Also, with the holiday they couldn't get the channel up or something. But at least I know I will be getting it soon.

So they (Comcast) just found out about this channel last week ? :D:D:D:D

Jimbo

I really enjoyed the Hot Stove report and the classic Larson perfect game. Great picture considering. I really got a kick out of the commercials. I was surprised Larson hadn't realized he had pitched a perfect game. I guess that was just a term not thrown around very often back then because the last one had been 30 plus years prior.