The MLB Network starts Jan. 1

Put the blame where it lies.

Squarely on the shoulders of the Cable Companies.

This Network has been in planning and the launch date has been known for months.

If you don't have it then blame the total incompetence of your current Cable provider. If you're a DISH sub then you are SOL. No sense in wasting your time or having your BP skyrocket.

Agree. As much of a Selig critic I am, I just don't see how you can blame him for certain cable companies mishaps.....

I'm starting to think this is another Bonehead Selig moment to launch MLB Network on Jan 1.

A lot of cableco's seem to be having issues not having MLB Network on their lineups at launch day. Maybe MLB Network should have launched January 15th, so cableco engineers could get back from holiday vacations, set up the digicipher gear, set up the tier configurations, and be ready for Selig's ugly mug to introduce and overhype the network in the network's official opening moment.

This is clearly the pay-providers fault. MLB Network was 'on-the-air' - days before the launch in order for them to do just as you say. The channel provided looped promos and such, all the cable company had to do was turn it on anytime prior to launch and it would have been set to go.

They even had a countdown on the bottom of the screen letting peeps know how many hours, minutes, seconds until it went live. Was actually prety neat.

I'm starting to think this is another Bonehead Selig moment to launch MLB Network on Jan 1.

A lot of cableco's seem to be having issues not having MLB Network on their lineups at launch day. Maybe MLB Network should have launched January 15th, so cableco engineers could get back from holiday vacations, set up the digicipher gear, set up the tier configurations, and be ready for Selig's ugly mug to introduce and overhype the network in the network's official opening moment.

What, they couldn't have done this BEFORE the holiday ?

I mentioned a long time ago that I thought that Jan 1 was a bad day to start it and mentioned something like you, 15th or maybe even Feb 1st as Pitchers and Catchers start to report.

Jimbo

Watching the "Baseball Seasons" about the strike-shortened 1995 season.

Considering how I tease and mock the Mariners now, it's hard to believe how good they were back then.

Of course, that brings backs BAD memories for Sandra and KCK (I'm sure you guys know what I mean)

Watching the "Baseball Seasons" about the strike-shortened 1995 season.

Considering how I tease and mock the Mariners now, it's hard to believe how good they were back then.

Of course, that brings backs BAD memories for Sandra and KCK (I'm sure you guys know what I mean)

Speaking of the 1995 season, that year's World Series brings back awful memories for me too.

Put the blame where it lies.

Squarely on the shoulders of the Cable Companies.

This Network has been in planning and the launch date has been known for months.

I still put it on MLB - for scheduling the launch on a holiday when anyone in the cable business who knows what they are doing has the day off or is on vacation. You might also blame MLB because they don't seem to be strict enough - maybe a lot of cablecos wouldn't be lazy and have MLB network up and running to see Selig's ugly mug introducting the network if MLB had said "you will be setup and your subscribers will see selig's ugly mug introducing the network or your system will lose rights to carry Extra Innings until they are renegotiated in 2013!".

I still put it on MLB - for scheduling the launch on a holiday when anyone in the cable business who knows what they are doing has the day off or is on vacation. You might also blame MLB because they don't seem to be strict enough - maybe a lot of cablecos wouldn't be lazy and have MLB network up and running to see Selig's ugly mug introducting the network if MLB had said "you will be setup and your subscribers will see selig's ugly mug introducing the network or your system will lose rights to carry Extra Innings until they are renegotiated in 2013!".

If I remember correctly, MLB had test loops running 2 weeks prior to the scheduled launch, so they could of had it up ahead of time very easily.
Vacation should have not been an issue, also, not EVERYONE can just up and leave during the holidays,the Cable Co. STILL have to run the business, they don't just turn off your TV programming during the holidays.

Jimbo

Vacation should have not been an issue, also, not EVERYONE can just up and leave during the holidays,the Cable Co. STILL have to run the business, they don't just turn off your TV programming during the holidays.Jimbo

that's what the people working at the cable co. who barely know what they doing is all about. Do you notice on your local newscasts how many glitches and other weird things there are during the christmas/new year holidays when all the knowledgeable people are on vacation or have the day off? You have people on your local favorite news station who know who to be the director, be the soundman, be a cameraman, work master control, but they are nowhere as familiar with how to do things than the first-stringers who can do the job of producing/airing a newscast in their sleep.

if the promo loop was playing for 2 weeks, then MLB should have pulled EI rights until 2013 to any cable system who didn't have MLB Network (at least SD version) on the lineup by ugly Selig mug time. That should get people working hard to get the receiver setup and tiers programmed. ;)

that's what the people working at the cable co. who barely know what they doing is all about. Do you notice on your local newscasts how many glitches and other weird things there are during the christmas/new year holidays when all the knowledgeable people are on vacation or have the day off? You have people on your local favorite news station who know who to be the director, be the soundman, be a cameraman, work master control, but they are nowhere as familiar with how to do things than the first-stringers who can do the job of producing/airing a newscast in their sleep.

if the promo loop was playing for 2 weeks, then MLB should have pulled EI rights until 2013 to any cable system who didn't have MLB Network (at least SD version) on the lineup by ugly Selig mug time. That should get people working hard to get the receiver setup and tiers programmed. ;)

Maybe when the Cable Co's heard that Selig would be on for two weeks , they decided the channel was not worth it :D:D:D

Jimbo

With no signs of the MLB Channel coming to Dish, it is finally time to consider a switch to DirecTV.

First step - cancel my yearly renewal for Dish and go month-to-month. Then figure out what promos exist that will give me a cut rate on MLB EI 2009. :)

Still no Mlb Network for me. I'll tell you what a disgrace. Here I'm thinking we are going to get this channel on Jan. 1 and I looked forward to it and still nothing. Unbelievable.

At this point I don't know if you blame Comcast or Selig. At this point I don't care, just show the DAMN Channel!!!

Is anyone watching this as much as me?

I have been watching the specials about World Series, Prime 9 (which is really good) and all kinds of other shows.

Unfortunately, I have only been able to watch it in passing, catching "The Hot Stove" mostly. I see they are going thru alot of different analysts. I guess they are tryingto see who matches up with who the best. (I saw a guy on last night in Rojas' palce that I've never seen before!)

I DO however, DVR "Ken Burns' 'Baseball'" weekly and hope to get to enjoy that soon.

I think it will be a great channel once all is said and done.:up

I have it, and I love it!

Of course, it probably hurts KCK to see the 1986 and 1995 episodes of "Baseball Seasons."

Yeah, what happened to Donnie Moore sucked. It's a shame he had to take his life.

Yeah, what happened to Donnie Moore sucked. It's a shame he had to take his life.

Without a doubt the deepest, darkest, gloomiest period in Angels history. There are no words to describe the feeling.

As far as programs being painful to watch, I just ignore the ones I know will upset me or bring me down. There is a wealth of baseball programming in my DVR to yet view.

And..if I REALLY need a lift, I'll pop in the MLB 2002 World Series DVD just for old time's sake!!!!:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts