The new H10 at Best Buy and Circuit City

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I went to BB and CC today (central Illinois) and at both places I asked them about the new H10 receiver. At both places I got the same response, "huh?" I asked to speak to the supervisors thinking that they may actually know something and their responses were, "Never heard that" or "I was unaware of any new equipment." What the heck? How can one BB have the H10 in stock and another not even hear about it?

I actually sent back a brand new DTC 210 that was sent as a replacement for my TS 360 hoping to later get the H10 as the replacement. If anyone has the new H10 what does it look like and how does it work? Thanks.

The Best Buy website still lists the H10 as "Coming Soon". Robert from Value Electronics mentioned in another post that they would be getting the H10's next week. :)

----------------------------------------------
We're scheduled to receive the new H10 the week of 1/24/05, with a special Satelliteguys forum offer.

-Robert

Best Buy locally has had the H10 for about a week. However, I heard that it has the same problems as the 360.

I thought I had read that the new line of D* branded receivers has an ending series number that ID's who actually made it. Supposedly there are three makers producing the D* branded line. Maybe one of the D* sales guys will chime in with the details, but I thought it was -100, -200, -300.

I am still trying to figure out what is making these receivers any more desirable than just buying a top quality receiver from ebay or another retailer that might still have some closeout stock of the Sony, LG, Zenith or Hughes?

Although these new receivers are supposed to have the software feature to "highlight and select" on the mix channels, this alone doesn't make these new boxes a must have item.

D* should also make sure that software updates are made available to these just out of production receivers for that feature as well.

Hmm, my new set only had a DVI-D input, I would need an adaptor.
What other benefits exitst? Upgradability to mpeg4 perhaps? It would be nice to know that I wasnt just throwing money to buy a receiver that is out of date in 5 months.
-Eric

Well if you like a jittery picture and out of sync audio on 720p broadcasts from D*, then it's worth considering.

What does the HDMI output give us advantage wise that we are not doing now ?

1. I need to route all audio to 8.1 channel DD/DTS head unit
2. I already have a DVI-HD out that I currently use for video

Denman007 said:
Well if you like a jittery picture and out of sync audio on 720p broadcasts from D*, then it's worth considering.

I do not have this issue with either of my HD receivers.

Denman007 said:

Wrong receiver. The Samsung360 is the one with these probs, and all reports I've heard is that the H10 is not subject to the same issue.

EDIT - my bad on this one - appears the Samsung built boxes might be in play. Boooooooooooooooooooooo :mad:

I read that ALL the new D* branded receivers are made by 3 companies, one of which is Samsung. Given that the internals are probably 99.99% the same as the 360 it could be very possible.

BUMP

charper1 said:

I have no idea. Does HDMI have integrated audio and video? If so, that doesn't help you if you're running audio to a receiver that obviously won't have an HDMI connection.

Also I think HDMI supports some type of copy protection. I actually do not want that if it would prevent me from recording something.

HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel digital audio, with bandwidth to spare to accommodate future enhancements and requirements.

This seems well ahead of its time, and just maybe too much of an all-in-one idea destined to by quickly replaced, and surely isn't a needed feature set at the moment correct? This thing has major compatibility issues and forces way too many new purchases for at least the next year or two; some gear you would need to replace isn't even on the market yet.

I mean my Yamaha RX-Z9 is just about 1 year old and doesn't support this feature. It is widely considered one of the top of the line units; and on a good sale you might find it for $3,800. My question is what advantage do I get by having this HDMI on my DBS set-top box that would warrant replacing this unit?

I manage a Circuit City I have a H10 on display and it is definatly a samsung with HDMI. It is just as crappy.

I for one can say that the H10 is a lot better reciever than the Samsung 360. I have had 2 Samsung 360 recievers within the past month. I have had all sorts of trouble with it. Audio drop-outs on HD channels with signal strenths between 90-100%, also picture pixelation. The OTA signal meter is allot better. The samsung was just all overthe place from 0% to max 55%. The H10 is giving me signals from 75%-100% bassed on the channel. The grainy picture i used to have with the sammy 360 is gone. Guide is 10x faster. The H10 also includes a mini guide which i like......i can view what's on the other channels without minimizing the main screen. Picture is also better on both SD and HD channels. The one thing i do miss is the ability hook up my Xbox with HD pack to pass through the Sammy 360, but i can live with Xbox on the advance AV pack. I'll some other pro's as well as some con's(although i have not come across any so far) For those of you who still have the option to swap out your sammy 360 for the H10, i would recommend doing so.

That was my general feeling as well with the H10, but, I'm happy I did, and if I don't like it in 6 months, I'll call D* and complain and just get whatever is out then.

I am impressed by the quite noticable picture quality increase, blacks are "black" now - and aren't grainy.

charper1 said:
My question is what advantage do I get by having this HDMI on my DBS set-top box that would warrant replacing this unit?

Like I said, I have no idea. I don't know of anyone who could argue against your point, actually.

just an fyi - went to best buy this weekend and negotiated a price of $250 for both the h10 and a triple lnb dish..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)