The NEW iPhone 4S Discussion

Tyralak said:
What would it matter? Lots of phones say "4G" on the label and they aren't actual 4G. They're fake "4G" HSPA+. What's one more?

Exactly. I honestly blame the regulatory body for loosening the requirements for what can be called 4G not the companies that are advertising it. If their product meets the new modifies standard, then they be dumb not to advertise it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Exactly. I honestly blame the regulatory body for loosening the requirements for what can be called 4G not the companies that are advertising it. If their product meets the new modifies standard, then they be dumb not to advertise it.

I think it had more to do with the ITU giving up and saying "Fu*k it. Call it whatever you want." Instead of actually changing the definition.

Tyralak said:
I think it had more to do with the ITU giving up and saying "Fu*k it. Call it whatever you want." Instead of actually changing the definition.

They still shouldn't have done it. It would have made these companies explain their individual tech and the theoretical max speeds of each. Now they can get away with 4G and most consumers have no clue what that actually means and probably don't even realize that there are different levels of performance depending on specifics.

Why not. The 4S uses the same technology as the rest of their 4G phones right now. They should be able to say that the iPhone is capable of 4G speeds on their Network.
i thought the 4s was 4g capable?

i thought the 4s was 4g capable?
No. But they stated it's capable of speeds that match 4G. Still technically a 3G phone. If this is the case, what's that say for 4G/LTE? IMO, the 4S won't hit those speeds, especially on VZ but we'll see.

No. But they stated it's capable of speeds that match 4G. Still technically a 3G phone. If this is the case, what's that say for 4G/LTE? IMO, the 4S won't hit those speeds, especially on VZ but we'll see.

You cant compare it to the LTE version of 4G. Honestly the 4S could be called 4G on AT&T or T-Mobile as they are only using HSPA+ for their 4G networks at the moment. Since they relaxed the 4G standard it does currently fit.

I would also like to see what type of speeds will be available on the CDMA version since all of the slides in the presentation was only discussing the HSPA+ speeds.

Verizon is taunting AT&T on their Facebook page this morning..

Verizon Wireless
Pre-order your iPhone 4S from the most reliable network in America. Our website is running at full speed, ready for your order. Someone else can’t keep up. Really want to depend on them?

:D :D :D

That is funny but you could also take it that Verizon is in their sales booth with no one wanting their product. They can keep up with demand because nobody is ordering from them.

I would really like to see the sales numbers between AT&T, Verizon and Sprint for the iPhone 4S pre orders.

JAG72 said:
That is funny but you could also take it that Verizon is in their sales booth with no one wanting their product. They can keep up with demand because nobody is ordering from them.

I would really like to see the sales numbers between AT&T, Verizon and Sprint for the iPhone 4S pre orders.

Well we know they were no longer guaranteeing next Friday sometime yesterday. But yeah, the numbers would be interesting. I am sure Diogen will be the one to find them. :)

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

The only iPhone 4 I saw with Sprint is the 8gb. Does anyone know if they carry the larger ones? I need the 32gb. I currently have the 16gb 3Gs and am out of space

The iPhone 4 will only be available in the 8GB version now. You need to go to the 4S to get the 16/32/64GB versions.

The 32/64GB versions still look to be available for pre order through Sprint but the 16GB version is sold out.

The iPhone 4 will only be available in the 8GB version now. You need to go to the 4S to get the 16/32/64GB versions.

The 32/64GB versions still look to be available for pre order through Sprint but the 16GB version is sold out.
No preordering for me. I'll wait until they hit the stores and shop around for the best plan between Sprint and ATT. I currently have service with both.

No preordering for me. I'll wait until they hit the stores and shop around for the best plan between Sprint and ATT. I currently have service with both.

If that is what you want then good. You can shop for the right plans even with the pre ordering.

On a side note, I see that Verizon and AT&T both pushed their ship dates out now but Sprint still has both the 32/64GB versions available. What does that tell you when both Verizon and AT&T sold out on day one and Sprint is still selling their original stock pile?

If that is what you want then good. You can shop for the right plans even with the pre ordering.
The reason being is because I want the plan at the same time with the phone. This includes the ability to negotiate with sales reps at their stores and apply discounts, such as the one I get for being a teacher
On a side note, I see that Verizon and AT&T both pushed their ship dates out now but Sprint still has both the 32/64GB versions available. What does that tell you when both Verizon and AT&T sold out on day one and Sprint is still selling their original stock pile?
Answer: That Verizon and ATT have more customers, as they always have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only reason why I will go with Sprint is to get a true unlimited plan and perhaps save money by upgrading from a plan I currently have with ATT. My current grandfathered ATT plan is begining to fall short in many features and my current unlimited data plan continues to grow more unlimited. I get warning messages about me exceeding my data use (I can I exceed something that is unlimited), about tethering (even though I am not tethering), threats to move me off my unlimited data plan, and threats to throttle my use. Frankly, this is starting to piss me off.

Verizon is just flat out too expensive and they no longer have an unlimited data plan for new customers.

It looks like Sprint will be the best alternative to what I currently have, if I decide to switch

The reason being is because I want the plan at the same time with the phone. This includes the ability to negotiate with sales reps at their stores and apply discounts, such as the one I get for being a teacher

Again pre ordering a phone does not stop any of that but I do understand that many don't want to pre order items but pick them up in the store.

Yeah, per the Verizon sales guy when I was on the phone with him yesterday evening the iPhone 4S's I ordered for my wife and I are due to be shipped by the 21st though he said it could be earlier. He said they were hitting their cap with the stock they were supposed to have on preorder. It all depends on where our order sits at.

I'm actually looking forward to the new phone! It's going to be a smaller screen but oh well. I'm hoping for a smooth operating phone.

Plus we're actually saving about $10 a month utilizing the same employee discount we had with Sprint. I know the big difference is the data plan, but I installed a data counter on my EVO just to see what I actually use, and for the past 7 days I've only used about 110MB. Last month I only used about 500MB for the 3 weeks I had it installed in Sept.

My problem is during baseball season I will use over 4gb per month due to streaming games on my phone. I will even use over 3gb per month now even outside of baseball as I use my phone to keep track and map all of my outdoor activities. Those activity navigation apps will use a lot of data when you use them for hours at a time every day. Because of this, I need an unlimited plan. I need one form a carrier that doesn't threaten me for using my phone as it is intended with a plan that is supposed to allow me to use it as it is intended

I have a feeling Sprint will soon stop offering unlimited data once the iPhone goes into full effect on their network.

AT&T Wages Quiet War on Grandfathered Unlimited Users

New Cell Phone Tower but Who's Antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)