The NFL will announce who is awarded the 2014 Super Bowl at 4PM EST today

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
The finalists are Miami, Tampa Bay, and New York (the Meadowlands).

Who's ready for a winter Super Bowl!

Sandra

NO team that does not have a dome should get it. IF the NFL can come down here and tell the owners of the SunLife Stadium that they HAVE TO put a roof of some kind to protect from the weather....then that should apply to ALL stadiums.

NO team that does not have a dome should get it. IF the NFL can come down here and tell the owners of the SunLife Stadium that they HAVE TO put a roof of some kind to protect from the weather....then that should apply to ALL stadiums.

I'm confused. Does Sun Life stadium have a roof? Are they getting one? I don't remember hearing anything about this.

Sandra

I think the Super Bowl belongs in a dome/warm weather city (I personally prefer outdoors).

That being said, I was rooting like hell for NYC to get a Super Bowl after 9/11! :(

I'm confused. Does Sun Life stadium have a roof? Are they getting one? I don't remember hearing anything about this.

Sandra

Read it for yourself!

Raindrops keep falling on NFL dunderheads
By CARL HIAASEN
chiaasen@MiamiHerald.com

As Super Bowl XLIV approaches, the National Football League has delivered a not-so-sporting message to hosting South Floridians: Bend over.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell warned local officials that this might be the last Super Bowl game held at Dolphin Stadium unless the facility is refurbished at a cost of $250 million, give or take.

Although the league is wallowing in profits, it has no intention of bankrolling the renovations. The Dolphins haven't said how much, if any, the team would contribute.

Most likely, the money would have to come from public funds, possibly hotel bed taxes collected in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

It's old-fashioned extortion, but the NFL has no shame. You'd have better luck negotiating with the Gambino family.

Forget the recession. Forget the fact that our boneheaded politicians just committed $490 million to a new baseball park that is doomed to be a budgetary suckhole for decades.

And forget the fact that the football stadium was renovated just a few years ago for $200 million-plus, and that the Dolphins admit they don't need any upgrades for regular-season games.

Mr. Goodell is a fussy fellow. He would like swankier skyboxes and new hi-def lighting, please. He would also like an expanded roof on the stadium to prevent raindrops from dampening the festivities.

Raindrops keep falling on NFL dunderheads - Carl Hiaasen - MiamiHerald.com

I hope to see NYC get the nod.

The notion that the Super Bowl can only be played in a warm weather city is absurd.

Would love to see Chicago & DC get in the mix also.

Last edited:
Looks like either the NFL backed off their roof request, or something was misinterpreted in the first place.

MIAMI STADIUM NEEDS UPGRADES FOR FUTURE SUPER BOWL
December 10, 2009
Copyright 2009 MediaVentures
Miami, Fla. - If the owners of Landshark Stadium in Miami want to continue to host Super Bowls, the venue will need to be upgraded, according to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The 22-year-old stadium underwent $250 million in improvements in 2007 but is still falling behind the competition with new stadiums opening in Dallas, Phoenix, Indianapolis and New York, Goodell said.

Miami will host the Super Bowl for an NFL-record 10th time Feb. 7. Goodell spoke at a kickoff luncheon for the game.

Deficiencies with the Dolphins' home include lighting and the location of lower-level seats, which are not close to the playing field. The league doesn't seek a retractable roof, Goodell said.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said the franchise is studying possible upgrades. It's unclear whether the team and league will seek public money. Ross said the Dolphins have yet to come up with a cost estimate or a proposed source of funding. A new stadium is not being considered, he said.

Sandra

If NY gets it, and I'm predicting they will, this could turn into a total disaster of a superbowl if it turns into a snowy or rainy, cold disgusting field conditions game.

Football is great in those conditions, but not the game that decides it all.

Please owners, shoot this down. Even more so after reading that article about the Dolphin's stadium.

It's starting to sound like it will be a huge upset if New York does NOT get the Super Bowl.

Sandra

I agree. For years the NFL wanted the weather to be a non factor. To change their minds overnight is horribly unfair. There are too many teams that already have too big of an advantage in the playoffs anyway. Greenbay, Chicago for starters.

I agree. For years the NFL wanted the weather to be a non factor. To change their minds overnight is horribly unfair. There are too many teams that already have too big of an advantage in the playoffs anyway. Greenbay, Chicago for starters.

In Miami or Tampa you always have the very real chance of playing the game during a driving rainstorm.

Sandra

YES, but they Worked for those advantages.
The way I see it, a warm weather team has a HUGE advantage over a cold weather team if they are determining to ONLY have the biggest bowl in warm weather.

Sure everyone would LOVE to have a week vacation in the warmer weather in the south, but it puts the cold weather teams at a dis advantage.

YES, but they Worked for those advantages.
The way I see it, a warm weather team has a HUGE advantage over a cold weather team if they are determining to ONLY have the biggest bowl in warm weather.

Sure everyone would LOVE to have a week vacation in the warmer weather in the south, but it puts the cold weather teams at a dis advantage.

I don't think any team has an advantage on a neutral field whether it be rain,snow,sleet or sun.

Just a handy excuse for the losing teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)