The Official Detroit Lions 2008 Season Preview

I'll predict Lions make wild card playoff spot. What's the worse than can happen I'd be wrong:eek:
I just want them to beat the Bears and Minnesota:D

Wow, didn't expect this many responses.
Just a few thoughts, off the top of my pointy head.

1. Yes we rebuilt the defensive backfield. If these guys were any good, why did Tampa Bay let them go?
2. Linebacking (except for Sims) is questionable at best.
3. Does anyone REALLY think Kitna can lead us to a Super Bowl?
4. Our defensive line is really offensive.
5. Offensive line. What's that? I've never seen one here in Detroit, except for the visiting team.
6. Matt Millen. No comment necessary.
7. The offensive line offends me.
You can bet I'll have more to say as the season degresses.

Last edited:
Who does Detroit play on Thanksgiving?

I'm sure you remember the great Barry Sanders running wild on the last Thursday in November in the Silverdome.

I'm sure you remember the great Barry Sanders running wild on the last Thursday in November in the Silverdome.

I always wondered how many yards Barry would have had if played behind Dallas's or Denver's line line back then. I suspect the records may have been unreachable. Poor guy had to make 3 jukes just to get out of the backfield in Detroit.

Tennessee Titans, what a brutal game that is.

I remember the run he had on Thanksgiving against the Patriots, I believe he tore Corwin Brown's body in half with his sick moves. Man he was $#%&@^& awesome. Guess he finally got fed up with the organization, also.

I'll give my analysis on how Detroit will fare against their opponents:

Week 1- at Atlanta- The Falcons are REALLY BAD- don't count on Matt Ryan having a Kurt Warner-esque first year in the NFL- Lions win big, 45-14 (1-0)

Week 2- Green Bay- I think the Favre/QB controversy will throw off Green Bay just enough in this game- Lions win a close one, 24-17 (2-0)

Week 3- at San Francisco- The only way San Francisco's only good this year is if Frank Gore has a gigantic year, and I don't see it happening- their offense blows. Lions win, 24-6 (3-0)

Bye in week 4

Week 5- Chicago- The Bears are going to be the cellar-dwellers of the NFC North, plain and simple. Lions win a blowout, 45-3 (4-0)

Week 6- at Minnesota- This is when a wheel falls off- Adrian Peterson will be firing on all cylinders. Vikings win, 28-14 (4-1)

Week 7- at Houston- I'm not sold on the Texans. They still stink. Lions win, 28-14 (5-1)

Week 8- Redskins- Very iffy team. Could go either way. Home field will work, and Detroit will FINALLY play Navy to the Redskins' Notre Dame. Lions win 28-24 (6-1)

Week 9- at Bears. Take Rex Grossman- PLEASE. Oh, and the running game will be AWFUL, and they have zero weapons on offense other than Hester. Lions win 28-3 (7-1)

Week 10- Jaguars- I don't see them stopping Garrard, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Fred Taylor. Jags win, 21-14 (7-2)

Week 11- at Panthers. The Steve Smith incident could set them back, and their running game stinks. Delhomme has to have a monster year, or they go south. Lions win, 34-21 (8-2)

Week 12- Buccaneers. I don't care how good their defense is. They are not the Steelers of old. Their offense is too pitiful. Lions win 28-6 (9-2)

Week 13- Titans (Thanksgiving!)- Vince Young and Lendale White will be too fast on this day- Titans win, 26-24 in a thriller (9-3)

Week 14- Vikings- Adrian Peterson may be a beast, but everyone else on their offense- not so much. Lions win- 14-3 (10-3)

Week 15- at Colts- This will be their only lopsided game. Colts win, 30-3 (10-4)

Week 16- Saints- Good luck stopping the Saints offense. New Orleans wins, 42-40 (10-5)

Week 17- at Packers- By this time, I expect the Favre situation to swallow the Packers whole, and Detroit takes advantage. Lions win 28-14 (10-6)

The opponents don't really sound scary, Paul. there is hope.

THEY WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!

Hell, they'll win the division!

That all sounds good except for one thing-
They're the freaking Detroit Lions. Games that should have been won are lost, players having career seasons, suffer freak injuries, and the biggest reason of all - they just plain suck. Trust me Sabre, the talent just isn't here.

I'll give my analysis on how Detroit will fare against their opponents:

Week 1- at Atlanta- The Falcons are REALLY BAD- don't count on Matt Ryan having a Kurt Warner-esque first year in the NFL- Lions win big, 45-14 (1-0)

Week 2- Green Bay- I think the Favre/QB controversy will throw off Green Bay just enough in this game- Lions win a close one, 24-17 (2-0)

Week 3- at San Francisco- The only way San Francisco's only good this year is if Frank Gore has a gigantic year, and I don't see it happening- their offense blows. Lions win, 24-6 (3-0)

Bye in week 4

Week 5- Chicago- The Bears are going to be the cellar-dwellers of the NFC North, plain and simple. Lions win a blowout, 45-3 (4-0)

Week 6- at Minnesota- This is when a wheel falls off- Adrian Peterson will be firing on all cylinders. Vikings win, 28-14 (4-1)

Week 7- at Houston- I'm not sold on the Texans. They still stink. Lions win, 28-14 (5-1)

Week 8- Redskins- Very iffy team. Could go either way. Home field will work, and Detroit will FINALLY play Navy to the Redskins' Notre Dame. Lions win 28-24 (6-1)

Week 9- at Bears. Take Rex Grossman- PLEASE. Oh, and the running game will be AWFUL, and they have zero weapons on offense other than Hester. Lions win 28-3 (7-1)

Week 10- Jaguars- I don't see them stopping Garrard, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Fred Taylor. Jags win, 21-14 (7-2)

Week 11- at Panthers. The Steve Smith incident could set them back, and their running game stinks. Delhomme has to have a monster year, or they go south. Lions win, 34-21 (8-2)

Week 12- Buccaneers. I don't care how good their defense is. They are not the Steelers of old. Their offense is too pitiful. Lions win 28-6 (9-2)

Week 13- Titans (Thanksgiving!)- Vince Young and Lendale White will be too fast on this day- Titans win, 26-24 in a thriller (9-3)

Week 14- Vikings- Adrian Peterson may be a beast, but everyone else on their offense- not so much. Lions win- 14-3 (10-3)

Week 15- at Colts- This will be their only lopsided game. Colts win, 30-3 (10-4)

Week 16- Saints- Good luck stopping the Saints offense. New Orleans wins, 42-40 (10-5)

Week 17- at Packers- By this time, I expect the Favre situation to swallow the Packers whole, and Detroit takes advantage. Lions win 28-14 (10-6)

The opponents don't really sound scary, Paul. there is hope.

THEY WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!

Hell, they'll win the division!

Week 1 - a game they should win. Hell Joey Harrington is the QB there. Wasn't even good enough for US! Should win, but will find a way to lose, (0-1)

Week 2 - couldn't beat GB even if Favre was OUR QB. (0-2)

Week 3 - Road game.I think we have won 6 of them since Millen took over. (0-3)

Week 4 - Bye week. The Lions make NFL history by becoming the first team to lose without actually playing in a game. (0-4)

Week 5 - OK, we can win this one, we beat them both games last season. My, how the Bears have fallen. (1-4)

Week 6 - I think the Lions haven't won in Minnesota in my lifetime, seriously. (1-5)

Week 7 - The Lions have won on the road, (see week 3), and yes they can win this one, maybe. (2-5)

Week 8 - Remember last year. Look it up. Another severe ass-whippin' (2-6)

Week 9 - We own Chicago. (3-7)

Week 10 - Jaguars? That's a real football team. Lions back out of game, and decides to play Appalachian St. instead. App St. whips them 30 -3. (4-7)

Week 11 - OK, the Panthers also suck. This one could go either way. Realistically, a game they SHOULD win, but remember what I said about games they should win. Just the same I'll give them the W. (5-7)

Week 12 - This game will be so boring nobody will even care. The newspapers won't even cover it. W (6-7)

Week 13 - Our annual national TV embarrassment, where the whole nation gets to lose their dinners from laughing so hard at our ineptitude. If you haven't come around to my point of view by now, you will have by time this game ends. Hell, who am I kidding: by halftime. (6-8)

Week 14 - Not sure if we have beaten the Vikings anywhere in my lifetime. (6-9)

Week 15 - You said "good luck stopping NO's offense." I say good luck stopping anybody's offense this season. Worst defense in the league last season. Look it up. Not much better this season. (6-10)

Week 16 - The NFL gives the Lions a second bye week, since they screwed up the first one. Again the Lions lose, becoming the first team to go 6-11 in a 16 week season. They guest star on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and lose a touch football game against Jay's band.

Last edited:
Week 1 - a game they should win. Hell Joey Harrington is the QB there. Wasn't even good enough for US! Should win, but will find a way to lose, (0-1)

Week 2 - couldn't beat GB even if Favre was OUR QB. (0-2)

Week 3 - Road game.I think we have won 6 of them since Millen took over. (0-3)

Week 4 - Bye week. The Lions make NFL history by becoming the first team to lose without actually playing in a game. (0-4)

Week 5 - OK, we can win this one, we beat them both games last season. My, how the Bears have fallen. (1-4)

Week 6 - I think the Lions haven't won in Minnesota in my lifetime, seriously. (1-5)

Week 7 - The Lions have won on the road, (see week 3), and yes they can win this one, maybe. (2-5)

Week 8 - Remember last year. Look it up. Another severe ass-whippin' (2-6)

Week 9 - We own Chicago. (3-7)

Week 10 - Jaguars? That's a real football team. Lions back out of game, and decides to play Appalachian St. instead. App St. whips them 30 -3. (4-7)

Week 11 - OK, the Panthers also suck. This one could go either way. Realistically, a game they SHOULD win, but remember what I said about games they should win. Just the same I'll give them the W. (5-7)

Week 12 - This game will be so boring nobody will even care. The newspapers won't even cover it. W (6-7)

Week 13 - Our annual national TV embarrassment, where the whole nation gets to loose their dinners from laughing so hard at our ineptitude. If you haven't come around to my point of view by now, you will have by time this game ends. Hell, who am I kidding: by halftime. (6-8)

Week 14 - Not sure if we have beaten the Vikings anywhere in my lifetime. (6-9)

Week 15 - You said "good luck stopping NO's offense." I say good luck stopping anybody's offense this season. Worst defense in the league last season. Look it up. Not much better this season. (6-10)

Week 16 - The NFL gives the Lions a second bye week, since they screwed up the first one. Again the Lions lose, becoming the first team to go 6-11 in a 16 week season. They guest star on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and lose a touch football game against Jay's band.

OMG!!! LMAO....my sides hurt! If it wasn't because my Raiders have somewhat of an upside(JaMarcus, McFadden), I would be suffering right there with you....

...."The NFL gives the Lions a second bye week, since they screwed up the first one. Again the Lions lose, becoming the first team to go 6-11 in a 16 week season. They guest star on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and lose a touch football game against Jay's band" ....LMAO!

Well now with Favre going to the Jets, The NFC north is a crapshoot.
Vikes and Bears aren't much and until Aaron Rodgers proves himself..I am still on the band wagon:clap

Well now with Favre going to the Jets, The NFC north is a crapshoot.
Vikes and Bears aren't much and until Aaron Rodgers proves himself..I am still on the band wagon:clap

Easy there...I want to the Lions to due well also, but dont see that happening as far as the Vikes not having much they have a great D and a pretty OK running game.

In tonights game, I will be looking how the offense will change (the few plays we will see from the first team) and how the rookie RB looks and some of the new faces on D, though I belive many starters on the D wont be playing tonight

OMFG....that's funny Paul.