The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OK, I'll bite. Based on what? It's equally possible the extension would be at the old terms. Obviously no one here knows the terms, so your guess is as good as mine.

Dish has frequently offered "make-up" extensions where any difference in the final new versus old terms would be made up for the term of the extension. I suspect the deal breaker this time is the minimum subscriber count issue more than the per subscriber price.

Dish has frequently offered "make-up" extensions where any difference in the final new versus old terms would be made up for the term of the extension. I suspect the deal breaker this time is the minimum subscriber count issue more than the per subscriber price.
But we're not talking about Dish offering ATT the extension. ATT says they offered an extension. That's why I think there's a good chance it could be under the old contract terms.

But we're not talking about Dish offering ATT the extension. ATT says they offered an extension. That's why I think there's a good chance it could be under the old contract terms.

If the extension offer included the minimum subscriber count issue, then I could understand Dish rejecting it.

I do remember the deal for Cinemax was 50% of whatever Dish was charging their customers.

So Dish made the price $.01 cent for a year if the customer took auto pay.

I remember HBO was irritated about that and it ended several months later.

But like I said earlier, we don’t know what the deal is

I got the tail end of that deal. Found out late but wouldn’t have known if it weren’t for this site.

If the extension offer included the minimum subscriber count issue, then I could understand Dish rejecting it.
Totally agree. But that doesn't sound like a valid strategy from the sellers viewpoint... "ok, we'll extend the contract while we negotiate, but only if you agree to this new provision".

Totally agree. But that doesn't sound like a valid strategy from the sellers viewpoint... "ok, we'll extend the contract while we negotiate, but only if you agree to this new provision".

I think the point is that we're all clueless as to what's really going on behind those closed doors... ;)

These extensions usually include a retroactive clause. With minimum subscriber that could bring quite a deficit if it went to arbritation and AT&T won.

Anyone think that this could all be a ploy by Charlie to de-rail the merger?

This is not the first time he has pulled something like this. Here are 2 examples...

#1 When Directv bought Primestar back in 1999, Charlie put in his own bid for the company which was ultimately rejected. Once Directv agreed to pay a certain amount of money per subscriber, Charlie launched a huge bounty on Primestar customers.

I remember this, Dish was paying 2.5 times the normal commission on a Primestar customer. At one point Dish even offered Top40 for free for 6 months by providing a $20 credit towards the bill.

#2 Then a few years later Directv was being sold to Newscorp or Liberty media. Once again Charlie got involved and put in a bid to try to buy Directv.

Meanwhile for an entire year the rumor was Dish was buying Directv, and during this time the dealers went crazy converting customers and selling to new ones while Directv remained in a holding pattern as Charlie got to look at their books.

I’m just saying this would not surprise me if Charlie is making everyone suffer without HBO just so he can use this to cause a problem for AT&T with the Time Warner purchase.

Charlie has got a serious issue with AT&T right now. AT&T has the ability to outspend Dish in every way possible. They are an internet provider, which Dish needs to get into that side of the business, AT&T is a wireless provider and can offer wireless bundles, and finally with AT&T now owning Time Warner they now control programming Dish needs for their customers.

It’s really a bigger issue than what everyone really thinks. Charlie has his back against the wall with AT&T

Anything is possible. But around here, people have gone out and bought a Roku or Fire Stick to get HBO that has Dish. It looks like Dish may be the loser if they are instigated this. More and more viewers that can are cord cutting. Dish & Direct may end up being more of a service in rural America without high speed. Yet, there is high speed via cel service or satellite. Satellite has improved through the years. I think I read between 12-20 down is obtainable via satellite. There are caps though. But it is an option out there.

Reactions: josem3
other then GOT i don’t care about HBO. i actually borrowed a friends dvd box set to watch the series. i was going to buy used one off ebay....most movies that get to hbo i rent on itunes through my apple 4k tv box anyway. i wish there were more versions of HD chanles and not sd only ones like TVland...Not having chiller is a disappointment too. i am not so much about paying $$$ if the programming is there and picture quality along with hardware i am happy....but, i am still pissed that in the guide I get a banner with help tips. things like that irritates me. its like people leaving the intel sticker and specs stickers on their laptop.

Reactions: pattykay
Anything is possible. But around here, people have gone out and bought a Roku or Fire Stick to get HBO that has Dish. It looks like Dish may be the loser if they are instigated this. More and more viewers that can are cord cutting. Dish & Direct may end up being more of a service in rural America without high speed. Yet, there is high speed via cel service or satellite. Satellite has improved through the years. I think I read between 12-20 down is obtainable via satellite. There are caps though. But it is an option out there.
Something to think about... Dish probably didn't make much money on HBO carriage as it was. So, it could well be beneficial to just let it go rather than make even less, like lose money on it, with a guaranteed sub basis.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Something to think about... Dish probably didn't make much money on HBO carriage as it was. So, it could well be beneficial to just let it go rather than make even less, like lose money on it, with a guaranteed sub basis.

That can be said for a lot of channels. If they decide to go that route, there will be nothing but shopping channels!

Anyone think that this could all be a ploy by Charlie to de-rail the merger?

I’m just saying this would not surprise me if Charlie is making everyone suffer without HBO just so he can use this to cause a problem for AT&T with the Time Warner purchase.

Duh. And I hope it does de-rail the merger...otherwise AT&T could use the same tactic with other providers.

I don't think I'm "suffering" quite yet...

Decided to see if I could get a discount on Starz because of losing HBO and I just did. (As posted elsewhere DISH has a track record of taking care of me when discounts are asked for) I may or may not keep Starz after the discount but I think At&t lost a very long time subscriber to HBO. Where I once was willing to pay $15 along with discounts here and there I may no longer be simply from a financial standpoint not out of being mad. Had this not happened very unlikely I would have thought about dropping it, but seeing the $15 drop in my monthly bill had an impact.

Even successful companies make big mistakes (two words, "New Coke") Time will tell if At&t is killing off HBO, can see into the future of where HBO needs to go, or blinks and comes closer to what DISH is willing to pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)