The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

I've consulted for them and experienced this first hand.

I think the short and perfunctory season of GOT was due to Time Warner wanting this done quickly. They wanted it done for accounting purposes to prepare for the merger.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

That was all the showrunners. HBO asked for 10 seasons in total and offered a blank check more or less, but without good source material after season 5, Benioff and Weiss just weren't able to create the same kind of character development as GRRM, and they knew it, so they would only agree to 8 seasons, with 7 and 8 being short seasons, and that was way before the AT&T acquisition. GoT was totally character driven, so, without that, it kind of doesn't work as well.

Reactions: CyberSpock
I am not a big fan of HBO, but they have a new miniseries called Chernobyl, which is a real must-see. It's a drama about a nuclear plant meltdown in Russia. If you don't subscribe to HBO, go watch the series at a friend's house. It is very scary and it is all very true. It did really happen.

I am not a big fan of HBO, but they have a new miniseries called Chernobyl, which is a real must-see. It's a drama about a nuclear plant meltdown in Russia. If you don't subscribe to HBO, go watch the series at a friend's house. It is very scary and it is all very true. It did really happen.

Talk about a 'you know you're old when' moment. Hopefully I'm not the only one around here that remembers that incident quite well.

That was all the showrunners. HBO asked for 10 seasons in total and offered a blank check more or less, but without good source material after season 5, Benioff and Weiss just weren't able to create the same kind of character development as GRRM, and they knew it, so they would only agree to 8 seasons, with 7 and 8 being short seasons, and that was way before the AT&T acquisition. GoT was totally character driven, so, without that, it kind of doesn't work as well.
Thanks for the history. Mine was pure conjecture. I have to say I grew up with 30 to 40 episode seasons so this 10 or less episode seasons seems too brief. 6 episodes just wasn't enough.

But I do realize the actors and showrunners do want to do other things. 10 seasons is a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay and ncted
That got me to thinking, what was the most significant event that I can actually remember. You know, the 'where were you when' things. The one that comes to mind, being let out of Junior High School and walking home when Kennedy was assassinated. That's the kind of thing that sticks with you over time.

I was in high school for 9/11... it happened early morning. I’m in AZ, so imagine the time difference. My first hour was Algebra, and my teacher was from Iran it Saudi Arabia... she taught the class in both English and Farsi(I think), up until that day. That was my flash memory. I remember watching that Asian chick on CNN try not to smile while reporting, knowing the ratings... it was ugly.
Alternatively, I have another with Obama while I was in Iraq, but I won’t get into that one. Let’s just say after the two events in the same stay with him, really made me not like him on a personal level. I wasn’t into politics at all at that point...

I was in high school for 9/11... it happened early morning. I’m in AZ, so imagine the time difference. My first hour was Algebra, and my teacher was from Iran it Saudi Arabia... she taught the class in both English and Farsi(I think), up until that day. That was my flash memory. I remember watching that Asian chick on CNN try not to smile while reporting, knowing the ratings... it was ugly.
Alternatively, I have another with Obama while I was in Iraq, but I won’t get into that one. Let’s just say after the two events in the same stay with him, really made me not like him on a personal level. I wasn’t into politics at all at that point...

I was walking into the Motorola plant at 52nd St and McDowell early that morning. The guards told me what was going on. I spent the next couple of hours calling non-essential people who worked for me and told them to stay home.

Another earlier memory was when the Pueblo was captured. I was stationed in Japan and listened to the communications from the ship as it was happening. A Marine Korean linguist was working for me at the time. A helo picked him up outside our communications shack and dropped him on the deck of the Enterprise. That was quite the sh*t storm.

I recall Sputnik being launched while I was in high school, and JFK was assassinated while I was in Vietnam.
I was in the 8th grade when Sputnik went up. I remember us guys listening to the bleeps coming from it on a shortwave radio. I was in a missile silo near Roswell, NM when Kennedy was assassinated.

I recall Sputnik being launched while I was in high school, and JFK was assassinated while I was in Vietnam.

GrayTagsAndWBFlag.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)