The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Netflix has 100 million subscribers. HBO has 54 million. Maybe ATT is trying to drive more subscribers to HBO Now, which has 5 million. That way ATT can cut out the middle man and make all the profit.

I think streaming is the future. As time goes by more and more of rural America will have more options. We did not have any high speed until 2012. I got mine in 2013 (Spectrum). We now have satellite and also cel tower. Until 2012 I had 28.8 dial up and I rarely got about 26.6. I could not even load and stream You Tube for a few years after they changed their minimum. I think it was 75., so I was three times below that.

Maybe HBO/Max will go out of business. We have way too many movie channels now and a thinning would be good. If ATT demands the same deal with all cable companies. How can they survive.

HBO Is like the Coca Cola of the premium movie channels.

Then you have Starz and Showtime who are like Pepsi.

Pepsi might be just as good as Coke, but when people reference premium channels they think of HBO.

Just like Coke, HBO ain’t going out of business

Anyone think that this could all be a ploy by Charlie to de-rail the merger?

This is not the first time he has pulled something like this. Here are 2 examples...

#1 When Directv bought Primestar back in 1999, Charlie put in his own bid for the company which was ultimately rejected. Once Directv agreed to pay a certain amount of money per subscriber, Charlie launched a huge bounty on Primestar customers.

I remember this, Dish was paying 2.5 times the normal commission on a Primestar customer. At one point Dish even offered Top40 for free for 6 months by providing a $20 credit towards the bill.

#2 Then a few years later Directv was being sold to Newscorp or Liberty media. Once again Charlie got involved and put in a bid to try to buy Directv.

Meanwhile for an entire year the rumor was Dish was buying Directv, and during this time the dealers went crazy converting customers and selling to new ones while Directv remained in a holding pattern as Charlie got to look at their books.

I’m just saying this would not surprise me if Charlie is making everyone suffer without HBO just so he can use this to cause a problem for AT&T with the Time Warner purchase.

Charlie has got a serious issue with AT&T right now. AT&T has the ability to outspend Dish in every way possible. They are an internet provider, which Dish needs to get into that side of the business, AT&T is a wireless provider and can offer wireless bundles, and finally with AT&T now owning Time Warner they now control programming Dish needs for their customers.

It’s really a bigger issue than what everyone really thinks. Charlie has his back against the wall with AT&T
Because AT&T and Time Warner merging needs to be halted for Dish's benefit because? The only logical answer is that Dish fears that AT&T will make unreasonable price increases on programming.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Maybe HBO/Max will go out of business. We have way too many movie channels now and a thinning would be good. If ATT demands the same deal with all cable companies. How can they survive.
I doubt that, but that would be a major twist of irony, considering out of the U.S. premium services on satellite and cable, HBO and Cinemax are the premier. That would be the equivalent of out of the major fast food chains in the country, McDonalds is the one that goes out of buisness and Burger King and Wendy's lives on. Although that wouldn't bother me, I hate fast food.

Because AT&T and Time Warner merging needs to be halted for Dish's benefit because? The only logical answer is that Dish fears that AT&T will make unreasonable price increases on programming.
All the providers should be concerned, not just Dish...

I know this is immediately affecting satellite customers on Dish, but I think this is the beginnings of the net neutrality struggle. There is a reason that internet providers are gobbling up content providers and delivery systems. AT&T buys DirecTV and Time Warner. Comcast buys Universal/NBC. Look for Disney to buy an internet provider eventually. They want to control your content from beginning to end.

I wouldn't be surprised, that in the near future, AT&T will move that if you have an internet provider other than AT&T, it will cost extra to watch their content using HBO Now. Or you can only watch in standard def from other providers. This will be a move to force people to buy their internet service to see their products.

I hope this is not the case, but I completely see AT&T doing it. Removing HBO from the only competing satellite provider is the first step.

If this shines a bad light on the AT&T/Time Warner merger for the Justice Department.....so be it!

Yes...All providers should be concerned.

Net Neutrality is a misnomer.

We've had net neutrality since the internet has existed.

Only a couple of years ago did the government try to poke it's nose in and regulate things that have worked so well for 30 years.

I know this is immediately affecting satellite customers on Dish, but I think this is the beginnings of the net neutrality struggle. There is a reason that internet providers are gobbling up content providers and delivery systems. AT&T buys DirecTV and Time Warner. Comcast buys Universal/NBC. Look for Disney to buy an internet provider eventually. They want to control your content from beginning to end.

I wouldn't be surprised, that in the near future, AT&T will move that if you have an internet provider other than AT&T, it will cost extra to watch their content using HBO Now. Or you can only watch in standard def from other providers. This will be a move to force people to buy their internet service to see their products.

I hope this is not the case, but I completely see AT&T doing it. Removing HBO from the only competing satellite provider is the first step.

If this shines a bad light on the AT&T/Time Warner merger for the Justice Department.....so be it!

Yes...All providers should be concerned.

Um, Net Neutrality was repealed last year by the FCC.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Net Neutrality is a misnomer.

We've had net neutrality since the internet has existed.

Only a couple of years ago did the government try to poke it's nose in and regulate things that have worked so well for 30 years.

Ahem, after ISPs started asking for paid prioritization from Netflix and others, which is contrary to Net Neutrality. It was a reaction to the ISPs bad behavior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)