The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Why would anyone even want DSL?

DSL is a dead technology. It’s the new dial up (and has been for some time) and the telcos know it, that’s why they are putting zero effort into maintaining it and upgrading it and even abandoning it.

Verizon, as much as dislike them, is probably the biggest, most successful and most advanced telecommunications company in the country. They max out at 15 Mb for DSL, and that’s only in a handful of lucky areas. I think 7-10 Mbps is the norm. The only experience I have with DSL is with my aunt. She lives around the corner from me and can get a whopping 3 Mb from Verizon DSL via a RT. If not for a row of pine trees, I could see her house from my back yard, and I cannot get DSL period, not that I would want it.

While AT&T and Century Link have made some half-assed attempts with VDSL, their max speeds offerings are still generally slower then the slowest speeds offered by cablecos. Verizon and AT&T only care around their wireless divisions and that will keep them afloat. Combined with the amount of fiber they own that provides backhaul not only for their own wireless services, but the backhaul for their competitors as well, even though around here nearly all fiber backhaul for cell sites is provided by Charter, I would imagine there are a lot of Sprint and T-Mobile cell sites around the Country using Verizon and AT&T. Companies like Century Link, Frontier and Windstream who are not in the cellular game will have a very difficult time surviving. Frontier probably has the best shot because of Verizon spinning off all of their Texas, Florida and California properties to them.

Think about this, Verizon the most prestigious telco in the country essentially gave up doing business in three of the biggest states in the US. Speaks volumes on the future of telco delivered phone and internet doesn’t it? They know they cannot compete with cable and the ROI on residential fiber just isn't there so they got out while the getting was good.

I spend a lot of time looking up and researching this stuff, while not prevenient, it’s not completely uncommon for folks who only have low speed DSL as a landbased options to also have either cellular or satellite as well. DSL for every day surfing and gaming due to the low latency and cellular or satellite for the raw speed of downloading larger files. I’ve hit 70 Mbps to 100 Mbps on rural towers on Sprint and T-Mobile LTE, HughesNet Gen 5 while rated at 25 Mbps, can see speeds up to 50 Mbps. Even with the caps, if you need to download a 3 or 4 GB file, it’s much faster to temporarily switch over to another WAN connection and download your file in minutes rather than hours or even days on DSL.

I checked online at Spectrum and I see and they even offer a speed of 30 for $14.95 a month. Not bad, but since I have most everything on wifi and a router giving me 1/2 of the connected speed, I decided to stay with my 100 for $66 a month. 200 down is like 90 bucks and 1 gig down is 139

Good point! Mentioning HBO. The reason I like the premium movie services better including HBO is mainly for their on demand feature.

Agreed. If I get this second job that I posted about earlier, I’ll also add Netflix (streaming and discs) and 3D-blurayrental.com to that. It’ll be nice having them again.

Time Warner Cable was forced into doing that as part of the AOL merger in the early 2000s, well before Time Warner Inc spun off Time Warner Cable into its own company. You could get Earthlink over Time Warner’s infrastructure. The few people I knew that had it didn’t have it for very long. When problems arose, the finger pointing game started. Earthlink would blame TWC, TWC would blame Earthlink.

If I was in charge of a cableco and a competitor wanted to ride on my lines, I’d tell them to get lost and go to hell. Invest in your own infrastructure and permits! RCN and WOW have taken that risk and from the sounds of it have been very successful cable overbuilders.

Not sure why everyone was all excited about Google Fiber. I am a huge Android fan, but Google is a terrible company and has poor follow through on most things. Google Fiber was never going to be the end all be all most people hoped it would be. Look at their past history. They tend to throw things at the wall and sees what sticks or just flat out abandon projects after the initial hype dies down. Google has been in the fiber ISP business for almost 8 years now and they only serve select areas of select markets. Their third market was Provo and that only happened because they bought out the existing fiber provider.

Google’s products and services primarily fall into two categories:

Failures (and they have a TON of them) due to abandonment like Google Buzz, Google Plus, Google Glass, Inbox

Successes due to buyout like Google Earth from Nvidia/KeyHole, Voice from Grand Central, Android from Andy Rubin and crew, Nest labs

Google’s business is data mining and advertising, they are not an ISP (Google Fiber) they are not a cellular provider (Project Fi), they mine your data for targeted advertisement. The only reason they are in those other businesses is to mine data.

The only thing WOW and RCN do is keep Comcast and Spectrum in check in the areas they service.

Woah. How’d this thread get SO OFF TOPIC?
It’s my fault. I’m sorry.

I was trying to get at the point that HBO probably doesn’t care if Dish gets them back or not.

Between Directv and HBO now, AT&T can eventually recoup a lot of their subs by pushing them to delivery systems that they own.

So either Dish agrees to a deal that greatly favors AT&T, or they never get the channels back.

I was trying to get at the point that HBO probably doesn’t care if Dish gets them back or not.

Between Directv and HBO now, AT&T can eventually recoup a lot of their subs by pushing them to delivery systems that they own.

So either Dish agrees to a deal that greatly favors AT&T, or they never get the channels back.

If we assume AT&T wholesales HBO to Dish at $10/mo per subscriber (I have no idea what the actual number is), that's $300 million per year they're losing by not reaching the 2.5 million HBO subscribers that Dish has/had. I wouldn't think the shareholders would be too pleased about that.

Or at the new court date of 12/6 the court might come to it's senses and either reverse the AT&T/Warner merger or at least put some logical conditions on it.

The only affordable choice for broadband in my town is DSL. It's 20mb down 1.5/up for $49/month.

I can get 65mbps on the Verizon tower in my back yard, but that won't work for unlimited home broadband.

Sometimes you need to take what is available.

AT&T used to be terrible in my neighborhood. Then Fiber came and now they are the best.

Heck, between Comcast and Wow, I got (3) Gig Internet providers available at my house.

Never saw that coming in a million years. Before 18 meg U-verse the best we had was 768 DSL.

I hated Comcast so bad back then I was ready to pay for an entire year in advance which was almost $800. I think that as around 2001.

Then I installed starband...
http://www.dishretailer.com/images/starband3.jpg

Which actually was better than Comcast when it was in Beta tests

Since there are no LEO clusters currently operating with the scope or low altitude that Starlink will be using, how can you logically compare anything previous to them?
Because I've heard the claims before...
* Plenty of satellites for coverage
* No problems with service.

Manufacturers will claim anything. When push comes to shove, I have doubts about whether it will function in a practical way. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Reactions: reddice
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts