The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

I expect Dish will come back the bargaining table just as soon as it is clear how the Justice Department case is going to go. Either way, we'll most likely see HBO back on Dish at some point.

upload_2018-12-18_9-47-59.jpeg

Heh. Perhaps. I just know that, at the end of the day, AT&T is going to want those 2 million subs for HBO, so they will cut a deal if they can. Dish is trying to make a statement about the monopoly, and yes, it coincides with the court case, and I applaud them for that. If it looks like AT&T is going to win, Dish will make a deal, because they need the revenue from selling HBO and keeping customers as well. If it looks like AT&T is going to lose, Dish will make the deal and be smug.

Or, Dish could have postponed their price increase until after they reached a long-term contract with HBO/Cinemax. Of course, we all know that Dish would never postpone a price increase. :p

Are we overlooking all the incremental price increases that occur each year with most of the other carriage agreements? They still have to be paid for by someone...

Are we overlooking all the incremental price increases that occur each year with most of the other carriage agreements? They still have to be paid for by someone...
I was talking about a temporary postponement of the price increase, for public relations purposes and to avoid a flood of angry phone calls, not a price freeze, nor did I say that there should not be a price increase at all. You are forgetting that this entire debate is about a hypothetical situation in which Dish had agreed to a short-term extension with HBO/Cinemax, only to have the contract expire at the same time as the already scheduled annual price increase. Obviously, that did not actually happen, so it is kind of a moot point, anyway, just a fun discussion.

I don't see any connection between the price increase and HBO except for customer dissatisfaction which is going to happen anyway.

They might as well do it in one big gulp as to spread it out over 6 months..

Reactions: harshness
I don't see any connection between the price increase and HBO except for customer dissatisfaction which is going to happen anyway.

They might as well do it in one big gulp as to spread it out over 6 months..
If they do it all at once, are you willing to pay the salaries of all of the additional CSRs that would need to be hired, overtime pay, etc.? Or has that already been budgeted, and that is partly what the programming price increase is to pay for?

What additional CSR's, what overtime?

Your stay on hold is just a little longer.
Okay, so the hold times get so ridiculously long that it further ticks off customers who otherwise were not quite angry enough to actually close their accounts, and they end up cancelling service completely instead of settling for some credits. So, there is still a cost.

Let's face it, dish is doing nothing to stop the hemorrhaging of subscribers or doing anything to bring on new ones. That wireless spectrum better really be something.

If they can pull it off. It’s going to be awesome I sure hope they have some low cost plans. I’ll support a dish network IoT network all day long. Att, Verizon can go pond sand.

I sure would love to see a screen shot of the count down clocks Charlie has installed on the computers at dish.

I won't pay $15 a month for HBO when you can get Netflix for $10 or FREE if you have T-Mobile as a Mobile phone carrier. I see HBO will loss more $$$ at the long term.

Why would most people pay over $15, as that is the cost of it streaming. I think Cinemax is an additional $10, but I do have that.

Heh. Perhaps. I just know that, at the end of the day, AT&T is going to want those 2 million subs for HBO, so they will cut a deal if they can. Dish is trying to make a statement about the monopoly, and yes, it coincides with the court case, and I applaud them for that. If it looks like AT&T is going to win, Dish will make a deal, because they need the revenue from selling HBO and keeping customers as well. If it looks like AT&T is going to lose, Dish will make the deal and be smug.

Will those 2 million HBO subs end up dropping Dish and going back to cable or Direct? Some will stream, if they can. I wonder how many subs Dish has lost with HBO/Cinemax gone?

Will those 2 million HBO subs end up dropping Dish and going back to cable or Direct? Some will stream, if they can. I wonder how many subs Dish has lost with HBO/Cinemax gone?

I think it boils down to those who care about HBO, and those who don't. I only care about it when Westworld seasons come out. Otherwise, it makes zero difference to me.

And shouldn't those same local politicians be pressuring the local franchises to build out their franchise areas? This is where the real failure is taking place. Not to get political but the politicos need to hold Google and Verizon (and all the others) up to their negotiated deals and force the build outs.
In Nashville to maintain their monopoly status both Google and AT&T had to agree to first build out "underserved areas". Obviously that is taking longer than expected since their overall penetration has remained stagnant for quite some time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)