The PlayStation Vue Thread

Has playon changed any over the years? I have a lifetime license from years ago, but I found it cumbersome. It seems like you had to enter a password for each service and TV channel. I get why, but it was just a pain.

I never found the pq to be all that great either. At the time I used it all of my equipment and services far exceeded the recommended requirements.

That and having to leave a pc on all the time.

Kodi just seems much simpler to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah, PlayOn has changed a lot. Added DVR, and scheduling of recordings is in there now too. UI is much different. But you still have to do the login info stuff for those services requiring it. Overall much refined and improved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dvr is computer based I assume, not cloud ?

Dvr is computer based I assume, not cloud ?

It records to your PC, though there may be a way to set it to record to a network drive or your personal cloud storage.

It did take me several minutes to input my PS Vue credentials or subscription login info for various online content sources, but I would need to do that anyway if I wanted to stream from my computer. I won't bother with services that already offer an app on the PS4, such as Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc.

Quality was limited to standard def back in the day, but the test recording I just downloaded was 1 GB in size for a 42 minute program. I think the PQ just depends on the source in the current version of PlayOn -- people's home networks are much more capable these days. If I had a Roku or Xbox One, I would be able to take advantage of their Ad Skip feature which automatically strips ads from recorded content.

Thanks for the info guys. In good with what I have for now, but since I have it already I may play around with it more in the future.

My hold back now is the pc I have I built for cheap speed with little need for storage. But that can obviously be fixed.

I picked a bad show for my first test of downloaded content: iZombie. The playback of the recording via PlayOn to my PS4 had some audio sync issues and video stutter. But watching the same episode directly in my PC browser from The CW's website on the same computer had the same issues. I then tested an episode of Gotham directly from the PlayOn menu on my PS4 (accessing Fox's free stream with commercials), and it ran fine. Video was a little soft but comparable to streaming in my PC browser -- at least with my setup. I’ve set my PlayOn recordings of new content to take place in the wee hours, so hopefully that will minimize any conflicts with my computer’s resources and bandwidth, assuming that’s part of my problem. If not, I’m only out $10.

It records to your PC, though there may be a way to set it to record to a network drive or your personal cloud storage.

It did take me several minutes to input my PS Vue credentials or subscription login info for various online content sources, but I would need to do that anyway if I wanted to stream from my computer. I won't bother with services that already offer an app on the PS4, such as Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc.

Quality was limited to standard def back in the day, but the test recording I just downloaded was 1 GB in size for a 42 minute program. I think the PQ just depends on the source in the current version of PlayOn -- people's home networks are much more capable these days. If I had a Roku or Xbox One, I would be able to take advantage of their Ad Skip feature which automatically strips ads from recorded content.
It can record to a USB drive if you set it up that way. Ad skip works great.

It can record to a USB drive if you set it up that way. Ad skip works great.

Yeah, I think in some instances PlayOn already strips the ads as it records. The PS4 is supposedly not compatible with the Ad Skip feature, but my downloaded recording of iZombie was only 42-minutes, so no commercials. But I've heard elsewhere that Plex does the same thing when recording CW shows.

I've now realized during my initial test, I had way too much crap open on my PC. The iZombie recording isn't iTunes quality, but it's about as good as it gets recording from a free online stream from that network.

Yeah, I think in some instances PlayOn already strips the ads as it records. The PS4 is supposedly not compatible with the Ad Skip feature, but my downloaded recording of iZombie was only 42-minutes, so no commercials. But I've heard elsewhere that Plex does the same thing when recording CW shows.

I've now realized during my initial test, I had way too much crap open on my PC. The iZombie recording isn't iTunes quality, but it's about as good as it gets recording from a free online stream from that network.

If, the CBS on line will work (with PlayOn) when the new season starts, I don't see any reason to subscribe to CBS All Access. .

If, the CBS on line will work (with PlayOn) when the new season starts, I don't see any reason to subscribe to CBS All Access. .
I am pretty sure it will not. If I remember correctly, playon asks for your all access account info to activate that particular channel .

I am pretty sure it will not. If I remember correctly, playon asks for your all access account info to activate that particular channel .

It allowed me to record an old Hawaii 5'0 and Newhart show without that access. So far, it is the non "network" channels that are requiring me to sign in, as I do for ESPN and others. I can't find anything that states you can't watch new episodes the next day on CBS but, it would not allow me to record any of the last season's Bug Bang Theory shows for example. So, I just don't know.

It allowed me to record an old Hawaii 5'0 and Newhart show without that access. So far, it is the non "network" channels that are requiring me to sign in, as I do for ESPN and others. I can't find anything that states you can't watch new episodes the next day on CBS but, it would not allow me to record any of the last season's Bug Bang Theory shows for example. So, I just don't know.

I don't have CBS All Access and from the PlayOn app on my PC, I've successfully launched recent episodes of a few CBS summer shows (Zoo, Person of Interest, Rush Hour) and then launched a couple of episodes of Scorpion from last February and April.

There is a place in the channel settings menu to add your login info for CBS All Access, but the button next to it, rather than "Login," says "Live TV" (it's the only one that says that), so I assume that's what you need to login to ... your local CBS live TV broadcasts and perhaps other restricted content.

EDIT: By the way, there is a login button for ABC, NBC, and Fox, but that takes you to a page to verify your TV service credentials.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnie-
Mrsmith good find on the fox sports go app! Now I can watch live Vikings games still this year. Though with yesterdays news I'm not sure that I'm going to want to watch them.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Well my first night of college football with the service, and it excelled. The update to 60fps really showed an improvement in the fast motion.

Reactions: Zookster
Do all devices allow for 60fps? I have an original PS3, Roku 3 and FireTv and am looking at signing up mainly to get the RedZone channel, but only if the quality is good.

I've learned recently Roku's may vary by build #. All 3's aren't the same, not sure if this is gospel however. The Roku4 for sure does 60 FPS and hear FireTv now does also. You can find more information in AVS IPTV forum.

If the mobile app could cast to your Roku that would certainly fix the awful interface on the Roku.
Playing live tv while surfing is a must for me.

I've learned recently Roku's may vary by build #. All 3's aren't the same, not sure if this is gospel however. The Roku4 for sure does 60 FPS and hear FireTv now does also. You can find more information in AVS IPTV forum.
The new sticks do as well. That being the case I'd assume the Roku 3 at least would, and probably the 2.

Do all devices allow for 60fps? I have an original PS3, Roku 3 and FireTv and am looking at signing up mainly to get the RedZone channel, but only if the quality is good.
I'm sorry, I should have clarified that I am using the second gen fire tv box and the app update on that platform is what I was referring to.

I think the ps3 and Roku 3 should do 60fps , but I have not checked to be sure. As stated in my post above I know the newest Roku sticks do.

First generation fire devices do not, second gen do.

I've read in AVS Forums there are issues with stuttering (fluctuations between 30 and 60 fps) on the PS3 and that a recent update helped but didn't totally fix it. When I did my seven-day trial several months ago, I found the PQ on the PS3 to be quite a drop down from my cable service's. I cut the cord anyway and started using my PS4 to stream Vue and was very pleased with the improved PQ over the PS3. I moved my PS3 into the bedroom, where I rarely use it to stream Vue, so I can't comment on whether the quality has indeed improved since the last update. I also have an Amazon Fire Stick. The PQ is quite good on my 22" kitchen TV, but the interface is slow as f&#%.

Your best bet is to sign up for a trial, test all your devices, and see how you like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)