The right LNB for a motorized dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twolf58

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
I read a thread somewhere about how a combo LNB wasn't as good as stand alone LNB's. Other than on a BUD how can 2 LNB's work on a motorized dish?

Once all these blizzards are done up here I'm going to add my universal back in the mix as there are a few interesting things on the atlantic birds I'm missing.

so about June you'll get to it ;)

not to get off topic but I was watching our local news a couple days ago here in Minneapolis (where it was -15 in the morning) and they showed Northern Saskatchewan (some small town) had a low of -54F

There are a few interesting things on the Atlantic birds

so about June you'll get to it ;)

not to get off topic but I was watching our local news a couple days ago here in Minneapolis (where it was -15 in the morning) and they showed Northern Saskatchewan (some small town) had a low of -54F

There are a few interesting things on the Atlantic birds

Blizzard here on Monday and -51C with the wind on Tuesday. Its managed to warm up to a balmy -31C today .....

. . . I have a nice winter home in Florida, if ya'd like to warm up . . . - :eek:

Of course, ya'd probably bitch about getting a suntan at this time of year! - :cool:

Thanks folks for the replies.

I bought a HDTV PVR STB for the wife because she was looking at DVD recorders during the holidays, then I thought that maybe some FTA programming would be a nice bonus. Also I read that those PVR files could be burned to a dvd.

I got my hands on an old 105 Superdish and am wondering if the linear LNB on that will pick up any FTA sats, something other than the providers programming.

I read a thread somewhere about how a combo LNB wasn't as good as stand alone LNB's.
Other than on a BUD how can 2 LNB's work on a motorized dish?
"Combo LNB" ?
Not sure what you are referring to, but Invacom makes a Ku band dual-mode QPH-031 that does linear Standard, plus Circular, all in one.
I don't think anyone has had any negative comments about it, other than high cost and heavy weight.
Otherwise, most reports tend toward happy users.

As for mounting two LNBs on your Ku dish, the above comments and many threads on the forum support that approach.

For C-band or BUD dishes, there are dual-band LNBs.
Some have reported variable success with them, but I believe the latest tests by Linuxman have uncovered some of the ways to make 'em sing.
There are some commercial C-band scalers with Ku-band LNBs mounted on/in them beside the traditional low-band feedhorns, as well.
And, some users have bolted/tie-wrapped Ku LNBs to LNB support struts to get more FTA.

What was it in particular that you had in mind?

Used provider hardware

"Combo LNB" ?
Not sure what you are referring to, but Invacom makes a Ku band dual-mode QPH-031 that does linear Standard, plus Circular, all in one.
I don't think anyone has had any negative comments about it, other than high cost and heavy weight.
Otherwise, most reports tend toward happy users.

As for mounting two LNBs on your Ku dish, the above comments and many threads on the forum support that approach.

For C-band or BUD dishes, there are dual-band LNBs.
Some have reported variable success with them, but I believe the latest tests by Linuxman have uncovered some of the ways to make 'em sing.
There are some commercial C-band scalers with Ku-band LNBs mounted on/in them beside the traditional low-band feedhorns, as well.
And, some users have bolted/tie-wrapped Ku LNBs to LNB support struts to get more FTA.

What was it in particular that you had in mind?

I was thinking about using a motor and the stock linear LNB on a 105 Superdish, and then being able to also get whatever FTA is available with the circular LNB also.

Great Info

You can mount a circular to the side of you standard or universal LNB, as you can see in this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/121121-my-set-up-pics.html

As the second LNB is offcenter by 4 degrees, you need to adjust your settings for this offset in order to recieve the programming on a different satelitte. In my case, to recieve 119, I have my USALS setting set at 114.

I was trying to figure out how to set up the motor but all I found was to input the lat/long info for USALS. So tuning the Linear LNB at the dish's focal point and saving and then mounting the other LNB for xxx location and saving it's location the same as the focal point's location should do it. Then finding other birds would be as simple as offsetting the location by the difference.

Nice to know, Thanks schlever you have been a great help.

. . . I have a nice winter home in Florida, if ya'd like to warm up . . . - :eek:

Of course, ya'd probably bitch about getting a suntan at this time of year! - :cool:

LOL thanks for the offer but we already had our southern vacation for the year in Buffalo a few months back :D

I was trying to figure out how to set up the motor but all I found was to input the lat/long info for USALS. So tuning the Linear LNB at the dish's focal point and saving and then mounting the other LNB for xxx location and saving it's location the same as the focal point's location should do it. Then finding other birds would be as simple as offsetting the location by the difference.

Nice to know, Thanks schlever you have been a great help.

No problem, thats what we're all on here for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bad reciever??? Bass distortion on JCTV

Another Equity station on Dish (soon)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts