The Sling Player for IPhone Demo

I just saw this on Slings website. Sling Media - Slingbox Upgrade Program

[FONT=&quot]Apparently the slingplayer for the iPhone will only work with a Slingbox Solo or Pro-HD.[/FONT]

This really pisses me off. It smacks sooo much of an Echostar run company. Thanks Charlie...I'll be happy to toss out this perfectly functioning box and throw you $129.00...you deserve it :( :mad:

(Odd that you Sling on your "I use my phone for business and not as an entertainment device" PDA, though.)

As I stated, the closest thing I get to entertainment is using the phone for Slingboxing. I mainly use it for security cameras but can (rarely) watch TV over it as well.

I'm not sure what iPhone you played with.

I have probably "played" with more iphones than most of you here. I am an IT solutions provider, and help customers with their phones, computers, and anything else the need in the world of technology. I have assisted a lot of people with the iphone. I do not deny that they are popular and a lot of my customers have them. I wouldn't recommend it but I don't sit there and bash it either. I solve problems. Most people are happy with the phone. I am just a more technical person and view things differently than the average person or the averaga iphone user.

The value of the iPhone is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, due to the high level of integration provided by its internal frameworks. Windows Mobile phones may be great if you like replacing the ROM in your phone and getting into hardcore hacking projects, but when it comes to having a device well-suited for personal and business use, the iPhone and Blackberry are tops.

Google: No Exchange support yet, immature OS/hardware platform
WinMo: Hard to use, poor integration, and outdated
Palm Pre: Not out yet, will probably be sued by Apple

This really pisses me off. It smacks sooo much of an Echostar run company. Thanks Charlie...I'll be happy to toss out this perfectly functioning box and throw you $129.00...you deserve it :( :mad:
I think they should just charge users of the older Slingboxes who wish to use it with their iPhones a $5 per month "iPhone enabling fee". And, for owners of Classic, AV, and Tuner Slingboxes, a $5 per month "Legacy Equipment Enabling Fee". If you use Auto-Pay, they could waive the standard $36 activation fee.

stupid iphone... what garbage..

iphone, ipod.... just fads. There are better phones and better MP3 players on the market, yet everyone has to have their iphone or ipod because they want to be "cool."

Yes, ipods will fail soon, they have only been out a decade or so, so they are due to die any day now :)

iphone, yes, stupid design too, just every phone out there has copied it's innovations and a new one is coming out soon. Boy I can't wait to say how bad the new one is too!

:) :) :eureka

As do I. I just don't let hype, or my aversion to it, get in the way of rational decision-making.

So you think I am letting that hype and the fact that I think it is a fad get in the way of my opinion of the device and its abilities? You don't think I have honestly looked at its abilities and made a rational decision using my professional technical knowledge to come to my conclusion that the iphone is not a good tool for business or for my own needs?

Maybe professionals in the political world have a reputation for going whichever way the wind blows (or doesn't blow) but I would like to think I view all things technology related with an open mind. It wasn't just a whimsical decision not to like the product. I don't judge a product on its sleek design, rather, I judge a product on its abilities first. Some people are sold on a sexy computer with half the power as the vanilla unit, but at the same price, based on the pretty case. I go right to the meat and potatoes of what it can do when making my decision. A sexy design is just a perk, a secondary consideration. But that is just my opinion.

Yes, ipods will fail soon, they have only been out a decade or so, so they are due to die any day now

For what it's worth, the ipod has been around for 7 1/2 years (launched in Oct of 2001 according to wikipedia). Not really a decade.

I didn't say they were going to die. It took the US auto industry 90+ years to really fall apart. Well, it started in the 1970's with the auto industry but they seemed to stick around this long, bleeding year after year.

Just because an item is the most popular doesn't make it the best. Is the wii really better than the 360 or the PS3? I have all three units and rarely play the wii. Only my wife and son do. That toy is very popular but not the best, and neither is the iphone.

I think they should just charge users of the older Slingboxes who wish to use it with their iPhones a $5 per month "iPhone enabling fee". And, for owners of Classic, AV, and Tuner Slingboxes, a $5 per month "Legacy Equipment Enabling Fee". If you use Auto-Pay, they could waive the standard $36 activation fee.

I'm positive I heard Charlie saying we'd be grandfathered in with no fees during the last SlingChat. Guess I was wrong...

For what it's worth, the ipod has been around for 7 1/2 years (launched in Oct of 2001 according to wikipedia). Not really a decade.

I didn't say they were going to die. It took the US auto industry 90+ years to really fall apart. Well, it started in the 1970's with the auto industry but they seemed to stick around this long, bleeding year after year.

Just because an item is the most popular doesn't make it the best. Is the wii really better than the 360 or the PS3? I have all three units and rarely play the wii. Only my wife and son do. That toy is very popular but not the best, and neither is the iphone.

Fad = An item that gains craze for a short period of time.

7.5 years in anything electronic or computer is like 75 years for things like overs/stoves/furniture, etc. :)

I forgot ipod was in beta for over 18 months before release, which to me, makes it 9+ years old (Remember the iPOD with the 3 real buttons? I do).

So you think I am letting that hype and the fact that I think it is a fad get in the way of my opinion of the device and its abilities? You don't think I have honestly looked at its abilities and made a rational decision using my professional technical knowledge to come to my conclusion that the iphone is not a good tool for business or for my own needs?

In fact, you come across as completely irrational. "Stupid iPhone.. what garbage." Really. The device that changed the face of mobile computing is garbage? A rational complaint might be that it lacks MMS, or that Apple doesn't allow multitasking, or that the App Store is too restrictive. But the iPhone is not garbage by any stretch of the imagination. It set an entire industry on its ear and created a platform that everyone from Microsoft to Google to Palm is desperate to copy.

Another sign of Charles in Charge...Under Contact Us at Slingmedia.com

Research & Development:
Sling Media Pvt. Ltd.
PSS Plaza, #6 Wind Tunnel Road
Murugesh Palya
Bangalore 560 017
India

That has always been like that.

I just got an email from Sling regarding the $50 upgrade "Deal"

Its not a deal its cheaper to buy the box from Amazon even with the $50 off coupon.

f you own an original Slingbox, Slingbox AV or Slingbox TUNER, you are eligible to receive $50 off a new Slingbox SOLO or Slingbox PRO-HD.

When you take advantage of this special upgrade offer not only will you get $50 off the price of the latest and greatest Slingbox, but you will also be able to take advantage of the next generation of Sling products and services. Upcoming products like the SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone will only work with the Slingbox PRO, Slingbox SOLO, or Slingbox PRO-HD.

Your current Slingbox will work just fine if you choose not to upgrade. But moving forward, we feel upgrading will give our users the best experience and the latest technology.

For a limited time we're offering free ground shipping on your upgrade order. Upgrade now and don't miss out. In order to redeem the $50 upgrade discount, you will need to enter the serial number of your old Slingbox, Slingbox AV, or Slingbox TUNER.

Best regards,

The Sling Team

But the iPhone is not garbage by any stretch of the imagination.

Stretch of who's imagination?

Aren't we all entitled to our own opinions? Just because the device is popular doesn't mean EVERYONE likes it. I have my own opinion and I am certainly not alone or IRRATIONAL, as you felt the need to dig on me by saying.

Other devices are copying it because they think that is what people want and they want to gain sales. It happens all the time. Look at the 360 and now the PS3 copying the format of avatars in the same fashion as the wii. Look at MSNBC trying to be the polar opposite of Fox News and be the voice of the liberals. Any business looks at the competition and what they are doing right (or popular rather) and try to match and then top them. If Windows Mobile gets closer to iphone in style, I won't be entirely too happy but if they do, they better do it better. That is generally the idea. Do what is popular and do it better. I'm afraid you are right that there is "copying" going on here. The good news is that I think companies such as MS and Blackberry won't lose their business user advantages. Even Google's phone has some potential.

And again, I did mention the tight control over the apps system as one of my complaints. Don't call me "irrational." We are here to discuss, not dig on each other like middle school students. I am an Xbox 360 fan over the PS3 and catch a lot of hell in some of the gaming boards from the PS3 fanboys. They are real jerks with their personal attacks. Let's not turn this iphone vs other PDA phones discussion into a name calling and tearing down of the opposition forum.

I think we're better than that here.

I'm obviously doing something right, set to have yet another record year over last years record year for providing RATIONAL solutions for people and business technology needs. Even in this crappy economy.

I called the iphone garbage, not my fellow satelliteguys. I gave my opinion. I am entitled to that the same way you are.

Aren't we all entitled to our own opinions? Just because the device is popular doesn't mean EVERYONE likes it. I have my own opinion and I am certainly not alone or IRRATIONAL, as you felt the need to dig on me by saying.

Other devices are copying it because they think that is what people want and they want to gain sales. It happens all the time. Look at the 360 and now the PS3 copying the format of avatars in the same fashion as the wii. Look at MSNBC trying to be the polar opposite of Fox News and be the voice of the liberals. Any business looks at the competition and what they are doing right (or popular rather) and try to match and then top them. If Windows Mobile gets closer to iphone in style, I won't be entirely too happy but if they do, they better do it better. That is generally the idea. Do what is popular and do it better. I'm afraid you are right that there is "copying" going on here. The good news is that I think companies such as MS and Blackberry won't lose their business user advantages. Even Google's phone has some potential.

And again, I did mention the tight control over the apps system as one of my complaints. Don't call me "irrational." We are here to discuss, not dig on each other like middle school students. I am an Xbox 360 fan over the PS3 and catch a lot of hell in some of the gaming boards from the PS3 fanboys. They are real jerks with their personal attacks. Let's not turn this iphone vs other PDA phones discussion into a name calling and tearing down of the opposition forum.

I think we're better than that here.

I'm obviously doing something right, set to have yet another record year over last years record year for providing RATIONAL solutions for people and business technology needs. Even in this crappy economy.

I called the iphone garbage, not my fellow satelliteguys. I gave my opinion. I am entitled to that the same way you are.

Now you did it. Why did you have to say something that I agree with you on? ;)

From your other posts it seems that you might be doing well because you listen to what your customer wants and installs and supports the equipment based upon that.

I personally think that if Apple fixes a few items they could have a device that will give the Blackberry and Windows mobile devices a run for there money. The biggest downfall in the business world is that large companies don't want iTunes to be installed within their environment. Pull the iPhone away from iTunes and they are almost there.

I'm not sure that was a dig... you asked if your decision sounded rational or not, after proclaiming one of the most innovative products of the decade "stupid" and "garbage". Sounded irrational to me.

Apologies if you felt I was attacking you personally. I know nothing about you, other than every piece of electronics you own courtesy of your signature. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)