the stutter/frame drop that plagues VOOM..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
I would like to know how many folks out there are actually seeing this problem. So please reply if you see, or don't see.This problem for those of you who may not of heard about it, is a just a very subtle frame skip/ stutter that can occur every few seconds, or every few minutes.It will appear as if your picture jumps for a split second, it is very quick, that if you blink you can easily miss it. But believe me, once you see it, you'll always see it. It's very annoying. It's on every channel, including *all* the OTA stations you may get. It seems posting over at Yahoo, and putting "Wilt" in the heading, still isn't getting his attention. Which is strange, because he'll answer just about every other question we've thrown at him over there. I have even called VOOM abou thtis, and their "tech support" :rolleyes: doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. It seems The folks over at VOOM are ignoring this problem.

Don't get it and believe me, I am a PQ fanatic. With a 110" screen, I see everything. Maybe you have a defective box?

I Have Never Had Your Problem. But If It Also Happens On Your OTA Then Its Either Your Satellite Setup Or Your Satellite Receiver. It's Not A VOOM Problem.

This problem for those of you who may not of heard about it, is a just a very subtle frame skip/ stutter that can occur every few seconds, or every few minutes.
Some programs I'll only notice it a few times in an hour, and on others I may notice it once every 2-5 minutes. I see it occasionally on the off-air channels too, perhaps a little less often, which means it is probably a receiver issue that can be fixed with a future software update.

I do disagree with your assertion that it is "very annoying.". It's nothing compared to mass pixelization and macroblocking during scenes with lots of movement, which is much more of a problem on DirecTV.

Ken F said:
I notice it on some programs every few minutes or so. I see it occasionally on the off-air channels too, perhaps a little less often, which means it is probably a receiver issue that can be fixed with a future software update.

I do disagree that it is "very annoying" though. It's nothing compared to mass pixelization and macroblocking during scenes with lots of movement, which you see on DirecTV far more than Voom.

if it's a reciever issue, than fine, they should fix it then. As for the mass pixelation, and macro blaocking with fast movement, I am seeing more of that with VOOM now, especially Showtime HD west. As for D*, and their HBOHD, it honestly looks better than VOOM's in my opinion.

As for D*, and their HBOHD, it honestly looks better than VOOM's in my opinion.
You must have a small screen, because the detail I see on VOOM's HBO-HD is far better than what I see on DirecTV.

Ken F said:
You must have a small screen, because the detail I see on VOOM's HBO-HD is far better than what I see on DirecTV.

it's not huge, but it's 46" screen, and I like the quality I am seeing with D*'s feed better than VOOm now. Even DiscoveryHD looks sharper now. I didn't notice this when I first got VOOM, they looked very much the same. Now there is a little difference. D* is more sharp looking.Ken if you still had D* maybe you could comment on the pq between the two. When I first got VOOM they were comparable, but now it seems D* is looking a bit better on the HD side.

DiscoveryHD on Dish also appears a bit sharper and this is comparing Dish via Component and Voom via DVI (which should be better).

I see some stutter on most channels. Sean posted before that Voom knows about it and will fix it sometime.

I don't have D* anymore. As soon as they offered the lease, I got Voom to try while I was waiting for the HD Tivo, and have stuck with it. I compared for two weeks than cancelled.

If DirecTV adds Cinemax HD, Starz HD, Encore HD, and perhaps TMC-HD, I will probably switch back for the HD Tivo. You can't timeshift programming that's not offered.

DarrellP said:
DiscoveryHD on Dish also appears a bit sharper and this is comparing Dish via Component and Voom via DVI (which should be better).

what I am seeing is that people just look more 3-D like on screen than they do on VOOM. They just sort of p[op out more with D*'s feed. This was not the case when I first signed up with VOOM. VOOM used to look just as good. They must be doing some filtering, or something now. :(

I have the 3D 'POP' with HDNET, Dish DiscHD and my local OTA HD channels. On Voom, the only channels that seem to do that is HDNews and some shows on Rave or Rush, but they don't match the quality of the other channels I mentioned. I've seen Sound Stage OTA HD on PBS and the Voom quality is just not there, it's nice, but not great.

DarrellP said:
I have the 3D 'POP' with HDNET, Dish DiscHD and my local OTA HD channels. On Voom, the only channels that seem to do that is HDNews and some shows on Rave or Rush, but they don't match the quality of the other channels I mentioned. I've seen Sound Stage OTA HD on PBS and the Voom quality is just not there, it's nice, but not great.

How long have you had VOOM? When you firstgot it, could you tell the difference between Dish's DiscoveryHD, and VOOM's feed then? I have been vooming for about 5 weeks now, and in this short time, I have noticed a decline in quality.

Gene,

I think it will be good to document which channels and what time of the day and program. I know we discussed this before and I have seen the stutter but it dissapears for a few days and comes back. This is another problem that should be taken care of but as I remember Wilt said it had to do with the encoder/decoder upgrade they were doing. Anyway, it will be good to document the problem.

Sean Mota said:
Gene,

I think it will be good to document which channels and what time of the day and program. I know we discussed this before and I have seen the stutter but it dissapears for a few days and comes back. This is another problem that should be taken care of but as I remember Wilt said it had to do with the encoder/decoder upgrade they were doing. Anyway, it will be good to document the problem.

The only problem I would have in documenting it, is that it happens *all* the time, with *every* channel. I could sit here and literally post every few minutes for the entire day, just listing every time I see it.

GeneWildershair said:
The only problem I would have in documenting it, is that it happens *all* the time, with *every* channel. I could sit here and literally post every few minutes for the entire day, just listing every time I see it.
do you see it on OTA also????

You guys must have equipment issues. Since the upgrade fixed my DVI blanking issue, my picture has been rock solid. I have no more OTA issues than 'normal' that I also get with my Dish 6000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts