The Tonight Show with Jay Leno! Part Deux

On Jay Leno's first night back to Tonight Show hosting duties, he stole two jokes for his monologue. One from Mitt Romney(!?), and another from an ESPN Page 2 sports writer....

Jay Leno Can't Come Up With Original Material Anymore - Jay Leno - Gawker.TV

I miss Coco. :(
Does Jay write his own jokes?
Speaking of joke stealing back around 1988 I went to a comedy club in California . I was being served and saw a photo of Robin Williams with a caption that said don't perform if you see this man come into the room. I asked the Waitress what that was all about and she said many comedians have said Williams comes into a bar and steals jokes from the less known comedians. I didn't know what to think about that but years later I saw more evidence of it. One of many examples was when Ray Ramono did a bit on Letterman and the next day Robin Williams did the same bit word for word. You could see that Letterman was not very happy with.

The one who was paid 8 figures not to work for that network again? This was a NBC failure, not that of any particular talent they have. The biggest problem they had was the 10pm show and the near-revolt from affiliates, not the Tonight Show.

Figures are out btw, 6.6 million viewers, less than Conan's debut, less than his average viewers on his final week at 10pm. How quick will that drop once the 'oh Jay is back lets watch his first few episodes' viewers stop tuning in?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...draws-66-million-viewers-and-first-place.html

Last edited:
What's the spin though when something similar happens to this incarnation of the Tonight Show?

Jay's 10pm premiere - 17.7m (show failed)
Conan's Tonight show premier - 9.2m (show canceled)
Jay returns to the Tonight Show - 6.6m (after 3 weeks of olympics commercials)

What's the spin though when something similar happens to this incarnation of the Tonight Show?

Jay's 10pm premiere - 17.7m (show failed)
Conan's Tonight show premier - 9.2m (show canceled)
Jay returns to the Tonight Show - 6.6m (after 3 weeks of olympics commercials)
But , He's beating Letterman again, and that's what Conan didn't do.

I guess that we all have our own tastes. I did watch the return show and I found it pretty trite. Please no flame war. I am just saying that there are people that like Leno and others who are just left cold by him.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXAJvD-jQvU&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXAJvD-jQvU&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

KEV's last night on the show, just ended. Played a solo to bid farewell

KEV's last night on the show, just ended. Played a solo to bid farewell
No doubt he is a talented musician, but I say leaving the show is a mistake - steady gig and outstanding money for a few hours of work each day. Plus, I'm sure he could work the show part-time if he wanted to. Anyway, I enjoyed watching the snippets from Jay and Kevin over the years...those old Mr. Brain, Beyondo, and Iron Jay skits were hilarious (not sure whey they stopped doing 'em).

Anyway, I'm really sad the entire Tonight Show Band is leaving as well...although I don't know why. :(

I remember towards the end of the Carson Era, it was a rare thing to have Carson, McMahon and Severinsen at the show at the same time! Tommy Newson was leading the band two or three times a week.

And it is more than "a few hours a day" that these people work. The band doesn't just show up and play on the show. General rehearsals, dress/technical rehearsals are an on-going thing. And the band leader has other duties. It is a full time job.

And for the record, this is the second band leader Jay burns through. Brandon Marsalis was the band leader for the first year or so of Jay's reign/

And it is more than "a few hours a day" that these people work. The band doesn't just show up and play on the show. General rehearsals, dress/technical rehearsals are an on-going thing. And the band leader has other duties. It is a full time job.
I know...but it's a regular 9-5 job and they aren't under creative pressure to write/record new arrangements, sell their recordings, travel to various venues and sell tickets. Anyway, best of luck to Kev and the band...to be honest, I don't know whey they weren't featured more often on the Tonight Show like Doc Severinsen...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts