The Weather Channel....is BACK!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A coworker had on TWC in the office today, more drivel about DirectTV and go to keeptheweatherchannel.com, geez, what a bunch of whiny people...

Yep, at this point, if they settle, you can be sure that TWC caved, contrary to be polite wording that will be in a press release.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

A coworker had on TWC in the office today, more drivel about DirectTV and go to keeptheweatherchannel.com, geez, what a bunch of whiny people...

Was up in NY State visiting a friend this past weekend( Super bowl party) he has Time Warner. TWC is running these dopey announcement about D* dropping their channel and how "5 million people have spoken"...
Yeah, sure.

At this point, I suspect it's not very high on D*'s priority list.... Their customers, it would appear, don't care that the channel is gone ! :D

Even on cable with the local on the 8's, TWC is garbage. The channel is not a shadow of its former self.

Paging Bill Carter (author of 1995's The Late Shift and 2011's The War For Late Night)... paging Bill Carter, you have a nice history of TWC you could write now and how it ended up the Highway Boo Boo network and ran off the weather geeks...

As far as anyone can tell, there appear to be no negotiations, just a few sputterings in the press. So it's my wager that TWC is gone...for good...as DirecTV threatened.

I say bring back The Weather Channel -- for $1.99 per month...

Pay TWC like $1.19 per sub. At that price D* makes a few bucks, TWC gets paid 10x more per sub than they did before -- but the real beauty of this is that $1.99 isn't a huge amount of money and shouldn't scare off too many people who actually watch/"depend" on the channel--and it will give TWC an idea of just how popular (or not) their channel really is. I have a feeling the reason this hasn't happened is that TWC knows they would probably pick up a couple thousand subs, and that would be that.

If they have such compelling programming that MILLIONS rely on, why wouldn't they seize this opportunity to get paid 10x what they were being paid before -- if even 10% of subs pick it up (about 1/3 the amount that subscribe to at least one premium movie channel), they keep the same income. If it is SO important to everyone as they claim, 50% or more of total subs will pick it up and they'll be making more money from D* than any other provider by a factor of 5 or more!

Something just makes me think they know the truth -- it's the same reason that Pac12 won't take a similar deal. If TWC is so important, you'd think more people would pay $1.99 per month than they pay $12+ for a movie channel (or $4.99 for DogTV for that matter lol).

N

I say bring back The Weather Channel -- for $1.99 per month...

Pay TWC like $1.19 per sub. At that price D* makes a few bucks, TWC gets paid 10x more per sub than they did before -- but the real beauty of this is that $1.99 isn't a huge amount of money and shouldn't scare off too many people who actually watch/"depend" on the channel--and it will give TWC an idea of just how popular (or not) their channel really is. I have a feeling the reason this hasn't happened is that TWC knows they would probably pick up a couple thousand subs, and that would be that.

If they have such compelling programming that MILLIONS rely on, why wouldn't they seize this opportunity to get paid 10x what they were being paid before -- if even 10% of subs pick it up (about 1/3 the amount that subscribe to at least one premium movie channel), they keep the same income. If it is SO important to everyone as they claim, 50% or more of total subs will pick it up and they'll be making more money from D* than any other provider by a factor of 5 or more!

Something just makes me think they know the truth -- it's the same reason that Pac12 won't take a similar deal. If TWC is so important, you'd think more people would pay $1.99 per month than they pay $12+ for a movie channel (or $4.99 for DogTV for that matter lol).

N

So, your suggesting that TWC goes on as a PAY channel at $1.99 for each sub that wants it, or are you saying that D* and TWC should agree to $1.99 p/sub ?

I like the 1st idea, make it a Pay channel and see just how many people would actually BUY the channel, then they could see how really VALUABLE the channel is ...

At 1.99 per month for the sub to decide on, I bet you wouldn't get 500 people to pay for it.

Part of the reason is they don't show weather as they should and secondly, weather is available on Multiple devices other than TV at the touch of a button.

Was up in NY State visiting a friend this past weekend( Super bowl party) he has Time Warner. TWC is running these dopey announcement about D* dropping their channel and how "5 million people have spoken"...
Yeah, sure.

Thats odd as I watch it here on Comcast and as of late not any talk of DTV. I think they are fine with moving on.

Yep, at this point, if they settle, you can be sure that TWC caved, contrary to be polite wording that will be in a press release.

It won't be that TWC caved, it'll be that DirecTV can't carry a desirable channel without having TWC (i.e. NBCU will force bundling of TWC with CNBC or some other really important NBCU channel in carriage
negotiations). I know if I lost CNBC because TWC was in a carriage bundle with CNBC that directv and NBCU couldn't agree on pricing for, I would be dropping DIRECTV. Faux Business News is not an acceptable CNBC replacement to me.

I'm still amazed at the arrogance of TWC, thinking they were such a must-have channel that wouldn't be dropped and thus didn't even bother to be bundled with other NBCU properties in carriage contracts and that noone would miss the weather programming while they ran non-weather programming in the
evenings.

If they bundle it with an actually popular channel, I still call that caving.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)