The Weather Channel....is BACK!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just had a thought. I think Directv has a good point and think that other providers may end up doing the same. Perhaps The Weather Channel knew that most people accessed their weather via smart phones / internet so they had to offer the reality shows to try to gain viewers again. Look what happened with MTV and other channels.

So, your suggesting that TWC goes on as a PAY channel at $1.99 for each sub that wants it, or are you saying that D* and TWC should agree to $1.99 p/sub ?

I like the 1st idea, make it a Pay channel and see just how many people would actually BUY the channel, then they could see how really VALUABLE the channel is ...

At 1.99 per month for the sub to decide on, I bet you wouldn't get 500 people to pay for it.

Part of the reason is they don't show weather as they should and secondly, weather is available on Multiple devices other than TV at the touch of a button.

I'm suggesting that it become a pay channel -- just like any movie channel. $1.99 subscription fee... but rather than $.13 per sub for everyone, TWC gets $1.19 out of the $1.99 for each sub that subscribes. If their programming is that important and they are sure that everyone wants it, I don't know why they wouldn't jump on that deal... if only 10% of D* subs pick it up, they are making similar money they did before... if 32% pick it up, the similar number of people who pay for a movie package (at $12+ per month) they are making 3x the amount of money they were before. Obviously if TWC is so valuable, you'll have more uptake at $1.99 per month than people subscribe to movie channels, right? $1.99 for most people isn't a deal killer if it's a channel that you really care about -- it's not like it's $9.99 a month.

I'm obviously being a bit facetious here, as I don't think it's that valuable... WeatherNation doesn't have the slick production or celebrity budget of TWC, but they at least SHOW THE WEATHER 24/7, and the production quality is as good or better than my local weather, which is all I ask for if i want to catch the weather and my local news isn't on. My point is that it is as valuable as they claim, and people *rely* on it, they should take a deal like this. They could make a ton of money -- if in fact, it's a "can't miss" channel.

My other point is that TWC, Pac12, Disney, ESPN, and a number of other channels realize that if given an option most people won't subscribe as the content just isn't that compelling. I remember back in the C-Band and early cable days, Disney was $10 per month, and ESPN was an add-on as well (I don't remember how much) -- and those who wanted it, bought it. IIRC Discovery was an add-on channel at one point as well.

The "expensive channels" used to be premiums... somewhere along the line this changed. Obviously the "per subscriber" rate for a $10 add-on is more than what they negotiated to get it in the base packages -- and if the content was that compelling, they would have a high uptake and make MORE money than forcing it down everyone's throat. I know Pac12 knows this as they D* has offered to carry the channel as a premium (this has pretty much been assumed from what they have said) but Pac12 won't go for it--just like TWC, they know their content isn't that compelling for EVERYONE. Back in the day the "basic cable channel" package was relatively cheap... if you didn't take Disney or ESPN, you could have TV for $20 a month (it'd probably be $35 today with inflation) and still have pretty much everything else that was out there... In my case my RSN gets me all the sports I need. I'd gladly save $5 a month if I could drop ESPN or Disney... I'd put the savings towards HBO or Showtime, which are relevant to me -- if sports are what are relevant to you, I say pay $10 a month for ESPN. Movies have always been the "expensive" things to carry (and their original programs, which are some of my favorite shows, are expensive to produce) -- which is why the movie channels have always been premiums. Sports rates have inflated 10x to the point where it's almost as expensive to present as movies, yet the channels have this grandfathered status from the days when they were not (yet they USED to be premium channels) -- and it's time they became premiums again as well -- and the respective base packages dropped accordingly.

As has been previously posted, I bet TWC will be back... when it's time to renew CNBC, or E! or any number of more valuable Comcast/NBC channels, and they refuse to allow carriage without TWC -- and I'm sure that's what their holding out for. I'm not asking for ala carte, but there should be a bill floated that outlaws networks from "bundling" properties...

N

I know if I lost CNBC because TWC was in a carriage bundle with CNBC that directv and NBCU couldn't agree on pricing for, I would be dropping DIRECTV. Faux Business News is not an acceptable CNBC replacement to me.

What about Bloomberg?

We had Weather Nation on in the office today, there is the possibility of a snowstorm hitting the area Monday night through Wednesday. We have been kidding one of the office staff because he has Dish and doesn't have access to Weather Nation. Disgustedly, he said, "Yeah I turned over to the Weather Channel to see what they were saying about this snowstorm and this show was on where these men where digging around some rocks!", to uproarious laughter from the staff...

We had Weather Nation on in the office today, there is the possibility of a snowstorm hitting the area Monday night through Wednesday. We have been kidding one of the office staff because he has Dish and doesn't have access to Weather Nation. Disgustedly, he said, "Yeah I turned over to the Weather Channel to see what they were saying about this snowstorm and this show was on where these men where digging around some rocks!", to uproarious laughter from the staff...

Rofllllllll

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Went to WeatherNation this morning and it said to press the red button for local weather. I pressed the red button on remote and a window came up to enter my zip code. I did and got my local weather. I tried it a second time and again got my local weather. But tried again later just to see if it was working and local won't come up. Still not on the ACTIVE button.

Well remember this started off as a rumor here at SatelliteGuys.

Now without a doubt I can say this rumor was 100% correct with this press release this morning from DIRECTV.

[h=1]DIRECTV and WeatherNation Enhance Coverage with ‘Local Weather Now’ Instant Access and a New Severe Weather Mix to Be Activated During Major Weather Events[/h]
02/10/2014

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV and WeatherNation today announced a slate of new weather services including “Local Weather Now,” a feature that allows customers to access local weather anytime and the first-ever Severe Weather Mix which will provide six channels of interactive weather coverage on one screen during major weather events.
Local Weather Now, a new feature developed in partnership with WeatherNation, offers two ways to access customized local weather information at the zip code level. First, beginning today, customers who are tuned to WeatherNation (channel 362) can press the red button on their remote to access instant local weather conditions and outlook. In addition, later this week, short term and extended weather forecasts by zip code will also be integrated into the live WeatherNation broadcast and run automatically on the channel every 10 minutes.
The new Severe Weather Mix will launch in early March and will be activated during major weather events that are potentially life-threatening. Services on the six-in-one-channel mix will vary depending on circumstances and will include:

• WeatherNation for 24/7 national and regional weather coverage with access to the latest weather news, radar imagery, forecasting and severe weather information in the U.S. and across the globe
  • Coverage from local broadcast stations, where available, from affected/nearby areas
  • Live remotes from experienced meteorologists in cities experiencing severe weather
  • Live radar channel for tracking severe storms with up-to-the-minute storm cell tracking information
  • The latest weather advisories from NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
  • Live coverage from top national news networks such as CNN and Fox News

“We realize that having instant access to local weather is important to our customers and are proud to partner with WeatherNation on these great new services, which will provide more in-depth local and severe weather coverage than any other TV provider,” said
Dan York, DIRECTV Chief Content Officer. “We also look forward to an array of additional new enhancements to WeatherNation on DIRECTV that will be announced in the coming weeks.”
“The Severe Weather Mix and Local Weather Now services will utilize cutting-edge technology, compelling graphics, expert forecasting ability and story-telling skills to quickly and conveniently communicate complex patterns and explain weather phenomena to viewers at home,” said
Michael Norton, president of WeatherNation TV, Inc. “We are committed to reliable, consistent, round-the-clock weather information that is meteorologically accurate.”

Yeah I posted post #486 , that I went to WeatherNation this morning and was told to press red button for loacal weather. I did and a window came up to enter my zip which I did and got my local weather. I tried again and got my local weather. But no more . I tried much later and NO local weather will come up. Pressing the red button has got me nowhere since .

Yeah I posted post #486 , that I went to WeatherNation this morning and was told to press red button for loacal weather. I did and a window came up to enter my zip which I did and got my local weather. I tried again and got my local weather. But no more . I tried much later and NO local weather will come up. Pressing the red button has got me nowhere since .
The red button is working. I left the channel and came back and it works. But it seems that once you use the local weather , you can't bring it back up without leaving the channel and coming back. But it definitely is working and I am so pleased with WeatherNation.

Haven't missed it and hope it doesn't come back but hopefully DirecTV comes up with Weather App for Weather Nation like it did for Weather Channel!! :)

361 was used when it was added
362 is mirrored when twc was dropped

i guess directv would rather have it mirrored at both spots instead of dropping 362 completely. then when folks hit "362" they'd get "no channel available". plus if the small chance twc does come back then they dont have to move weathernation again

WHY IS WEATHER NATIONS STILL ON TWO CHANNELS 361& 362?

So 362 is ready to go when Weather Channel returns in a few months/years (and you can continue to find weathernation on 361 at that time instead of having to retrain customers to find and go to 361 to
continue watching weathernation).

btw, Weather Channel did another dump on directv today - ran full page ads in some national newspapers called "DIRECTV'S (Broken) PROMISE".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts