The wind blows and I lose service?!?

Thanks for all the input.

I did call right away. after being on the phone for an hour with no resolution, I asked to be transferred to somebody that would handle my cancellation request. Long story short, they gave me a free month credit to stick it out.

I do have the 1000 and there are no additional arms to support it. (just one post and no tripod) I even made the comment to the installer, asking how it was going to do in the wind, because it looked rather flimsy. His answer was "It will be fine" :confused:

So is there any way I can repoint the dish on my own? Or am I stuck waiting until tomorrow for the installer? I guess it all depends on how far off it is?

Thanks again!

There's a big difference. Do you have a 1000 or a 1000 Plus? A 1000 will say "Dish 1000" on it, a 1000 Plus will just say Dish "Plus" on it. The plus dishes are considerably bigger.

I have actually unhooked everything. As I stated earlier, I have only had the service since friday, so I still have cable.

I can shake the dish and it will move 1-2" either way, but is that thing that sensitive? If so, then it sounds like I need to get the installer to put the tripod thing in as Jared alluded to.

Tyralak: The dish says DP Plus on the front of the LNB arm.

Thanks again folks.

I have actually unhooked everything. As I stated earlier, I have only had the service since friday, so I still have cable.

I can shake the dish and it will move 1-2" either way, but is that thing that sensitive? If so, then it sounds like I need to get the installer to put the tripod thing in as Jared alluded to.

Tyralak: The dish says DP Plus on the front of the LNB arm.

Thanks again folks.

It's a 1000.2 then. Not the plus I was talking about, it would say it on the reflector. Oh well, at least we know what dish it is now. The 1000.2 dishes do not need struts.
Here's pictures: 1000 Plus dish
dish1000plus.jpg

1000.2 Dish:
ae40_2.JPG

The elevation for the main sats is 42 degrees in Oklahoma and most installs now are 1k2 dishes. 1" to 2" of movement is not normal and you will lose signal. I don't think that tree is close enough to be affecting your signal, it is more than likely a loose or misaligned dish or a bad a connector somewhere. If it was still hooked up I would suggest have someone watch the signal meter while you go out and without loosening anything just push up/down/left/right on the edge of the dish and see if the signal comes back.

So my dish doesn't require the struts and there's no way to secure it better? That certainly doesn't give me the "warm & fuzzy"...

I'm really not sure. The only thing I would question, is why did the signal attempt to lock on after the wind died down? Granted it still never came back up, but it looked like it was trying to. I guess I will have to find out tomorrow.

For now though, I had to hook the cable up. Tonight is idol night and if the wife wasn't able to watch it, things wouldn't be "pretty" around here.

Thanks again for all the help/tips and I will post the findings tomorrow.

Peace!

100 knot winds

My 2 dish units survived 100 knot winds here in Oregon last
December. No problem watching TV with the generator powering
the equipment. Bad installation. Watch and learn then you can do it
yourself.

So my dish doesn't require the struts and there's no way to secure it better? That certainly doesn't give me the "warm & fuzzy"...

I'm really not sure. The only thing I would question, is why did the signal attempt to lock on after the wind died down? Granted it still never came back up, but it looked like it was trying to. I guess I will have to find out tomorrow.

For now though, I had to hook the cable up. Tonight is idol night and if the wife wasn't able to watch it, things wouldn't be "pretty" around here.

Thanks again for all the help/tips and I will post the findings tomorrow.

Peace!

You CAN put struts on a 1000.2, but it doesn't require them. If it's installed securely, it shouldn't need them. A secure mount may not even be your problem. What is it secured to? Is it a roof mount, wall mount, or a fascia mount? If it's a roof mount, are the two center bolts sunk into a stud? If it's a fascia mount, is the fascia steady when you pull on the mast, or does it move? If it's a wall mount, is the mast steady when you pull on it?

It's mounted to the roof and I honestly couldn't tell you if he found studs when he mounted it. If I had to guess though, I would say no, as the kid was a relatively new installer. I know that because the guy that was training him showed up towards the end of the install and he's the one that dialed in my dish.

It seems to be pretty secure though. As I stated earlier though, it does move 1-2" side to side, when I lightly shake it.

Okay..So who was the first to suspect a bad connection? :confused:

It turns out that every friggin F-Connector on the diplexer and the ground block were loose. I never would have thought to look at that, because it's supposed to be a professional install...right?

Anyhoo...That was the problem. Just loose connectors.

Turns out that my signal comes in about 70 feet over the top of that tree! Or so the installer tells me...

Thanks again folks!

Glad you got it figured out.. If you have more issues you might contact whoever did the install and see if they could tweak things some. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts