The YouTube TV Thread

Trick play is the skipping and such. Just played last night’s Magicians that was recorded. No skipping and I wouldn’t have thought that would have been a VOD since it was just last night. So I’m convinced trick play is hit or miss until proven wrong! :)

Installed YTTV on my Xbox One. Video very good but not quite as good as the ATV. But audio is much better as I expected it to be. On the Xbox One with the Dolby Experience app running in the background, audio that is at least 5.1 gets a faked Atmos effect which is excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
There is literally no way you wouldn't have been able to skip commercials in a recorded version of any content. The onus to prove that you weren't accessing the VOD version would actually be on you. ;) Seriously though, this is the most common mistake new users make, selecting the VOD version over the recorded version. Always go into your Library, select the show, select the episode, then hit "Choose a Recording." Make sure the time stamp is about an hour (usually one hour and one minute). The VOD versions have a yellow "VOD" logo and the time stamps are closer to 45 minutes for an hour show (the actual run time of the show minus the forced commercials).

Reactions: ncted
This thread seems to be turning into more of a "How to use Youtube TV" or "Common Youtube TV problems" thread. Could we start another thread with just Youtube TV announcements? As a subscriber, I like getting announcements about the service. But this thread is kinda moving away from that.

Seems to be more of an "All Things YouTube TV Related," depending on the day. We've definitely seen a lot more activity in the past couple of weeks. Previously, not too many people were discussing YTTV, and the posts were mainly announcements (about one every two or three weeks). I doubt the mods would stop you from creating any new thread you like on the topic. The question is whether the more casual forum users would make the distinction. At any rate, my personal opinion is I'd rather have a single "All Things YTTV" thread than a new thread every time someone has a question or there's an announcement or news item.

Not seeing anything that’s called ‘Choose a Recording’.

But the trick play works on the ATV but not on the Xbox One on the same shows. Possibly a controller issue as I use my Harmony Elite with it.

The good part of this is that the ATV video is the best and is my preferred streaming box.

Reactions: Ronnie-
There is literally no way you wouldn't have been able to skip commercials in a recorded version of any content. The onus to prove that you weren't accessing the VOD version would actually be on you. ;) Seriously though, this is the most common mistake new users make, selecting the VOD version over the recorded version. Always go into your Library, select the show, select the episode, then hit "Choose a Recording." Make sure the time stamp is about an hour (usually one hour and one minute). The VOD versions have a yellow "VOD" logo and the time stamps are closer to 45 minutes for an hour show (the actual run time of the show minus the forced commercials).

OK, been diddling around all afternoon. I had set The Magicians on SyFy to record last night, so it should be a recording I’m looking at. But it shows about 45 minutes. In that I can skip during the actual show, but not when an ad starts until the ads finish. But other than duration of the recording there is no indication that it is a VOD.

Now I have a few things scheduled to record tonight, I’ll see what the results of that are.

Is there a way to record just upcoming new episodes or a single episode? I didn’t see a way.

No it records everything of whatever you add to the library.

If you open the app and select library at top left center of screen, then the first line on left should be New in Your Library.

Select a show and it should have the length of the episode in the window. If there are more than one version available to view, then there will be a drop down menu beneath the tile window that reads Choose A Recording. Click it and a window will slide out from the right with a list of the available versions and they will be tagged dvr or VOD.

If the Magicians episode is only around 43mins long, perhaps you added it to the library after/or while it was airing?

I set it to record a little before it aired, but it was close.

So far tonight, the shows I recorded are all allowing trick play. Not the best skip function I’ve ever seen, but it works. I’m a bit spoiled by the auto-skip on my Tivo.

Seems the pq on Roku Ultra has really improved imo. No more noise and really comparable to Fire Stick and the Nvidia Shield while watching YTTV. My Fire Stick still has slight stutter so the other two are my go to for YTTV.

Seems the pq on Roku Ultra has really improved imo. No more noise and really comparable to Fire Stick and the Nvidia Shield while watching YTTV. My Fire Stick still has slight stutter so the other two are my go to for YTTV.
Recently? I stopped using the Roku Ultra because it had an obvious poorer picture compared to the LG builtin app and Nvidia Shield.

For illustration purposes of what a VOD episode looks like vs. a standard recording.
Screenshot from 2020-02-07 10-27-00.png

OK, been diddling around all afternoon. I had set The Magicians on SyFy to record last night, so it should be a recording I’m looking at. But it shows about 45 minutes. In that I can skip during the actual show, but not when an ad starts until the ads finish. But other than duration of the recording there is no indication that it is a VOD.
The fact that you weren't able to fast forward through commercials is the indication that you were accessing the VOD version of a show. The only time YouTube TV ever limited the user's ability to skip ads, they did it by locking the recorded version and forcing you to use the VOD version on certain channels. But all such restrictions have been lifted,, the last remaining ones being CBS and CW shows.

OK, thanks for the responses.
Last night’s recording have the choice between Recording or DVR version on some shows and an indication that they do and allow for picking which one. So as others pointed out, the Magicians episode that I thought was a recording was a VOD for whatever reason.

One thing I noticed last night was that the recordings that I did delayed viewing of were a little jerky, not horribly so, but noticeable. I hadn’t seen that jerkiness in a very long time, used to be pretty normal with Hulu.

Does YTTV offer any way to see a per episode program info? I sure haven’t seen any and a google search hasn’t shown any way to see it.

Recently? I stopped using the Roku Ultra because it had an obvious poorer picture compared to the LG builtin app and Nvidia Shield.

I just noticed yesterday. I thought it might be because I was watching with the 2019 Ultra but noticed on earlier Ultra’s also. 50” LG plasma, 65” LG OLED and 77” LG OLED looked the same good pq.

Reactions: camo
It's under "More Info" for each episode. You can access a host of info, including cast.

That only works on recordings, I’m more interested in a bit of info in the guide.

That said, the info in the recordings isn’t very good either as it does show the cast, but the info is about the series and not an episode.

This is using an AppleTV, is there a difference on other platforms?

That only works on recordings, I’m more interested in a bit of info in the guide.

That said, the info in the recordings isn’t very good either as it does show the cast, but the info is about the series and not an episode.

This is using an AppleTV, is there a difference on other platforms?

I can't really speak with knowledge on ATV, but the Roku, PS4, and FireTV apps are identical. The biggest differences are in the mobile and web browser apps. That said, in live TV, arrow down, toggle over to the "+" (but don't select it), then you'll see the "More Info" button to toggle over to and select, assuming ATV works like the other device apps.

I can't really speak with knowledge on ATV, but the Roku, PS4, and FireTV apps are identical. The biggest differences are in the mobile and web browser apps. That said, in live TV, arrow down, toggle over to the "+" (but don't select it), then you'll see the "More Info" button to toggle over to and select, assuming ATV works like the other device apps.

Yep, that works. Not a very good way to do it, but it works. Would prefer that they have the episodic info showing on the grid guide as cable/sat/Sling and others do it.

I think I finally figured out why YTTV’s grid guide looks and works the way it does. They are coming from a phone/tablet point of view where screen real estate is an issue. That makes sense.

I think I finally figured out why YTTV’s grid guide looks and works the way it does. They are coming from a phone/tablet point of view where screen real estate is an issue. That makes sense.

When YouTube TV first launched, and then for about a year, it was only available on mobile devices and Chromecast.

I just noticed yesterday. I thought it might be because I was watching with the 2019 Ultra but noticed on earlier Ultra’s also. 50” LG plasma, 65” LG OLED and 77” LG OLED looked the same good pq.

I've become partial using the C8 LG builtin app. I can easily switch between devices using the LG remote. I can surf the web with the hooked up laptop and come back to YTTV where it picks up at last watch and even creates a buffer where commercials can be skipped until I reach live again.

Reactions: tigerfan33

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts