The YouTube TV Thread

Been with YTTV for a few months now. No complaints. Just had to adjust after being with DirecTV for 23 years.

I use a Shield Pro 2019, an LG OLED, an Onkyo AVR, a Harmony Hub, a Logi K600, and have a 1gb fiber connection.

The Guide - No issues, I just clicked ahead to Feb. 5. I usually just use Search anyway. Just different but easy learning curve. Improving all the time.

Stuttering - Had it with a Fire Cube 2. Don't with Shield

50 Bucks - Yep, 50 bucks period.

Not a YTTV feature but Atmos and Vision work fine. Not a YTTV feature either but shield supports my USB TV tuner.

You have said that before that typical cord cutters need 2 services, but the majority of posts here and at AVS show otherwise, most are happy with one service, all my needs met with Vue and then when we switched to YTTV ( because of the longer DVR).
Yours is an example of what I was talking about. As I understand it, you subscribe to at least two streaming services -- YTTV and Hulu. Regular Hulu isn't OTT, but it is streaming. Many discount their Amazon Prime subscriptions and that is reasonable for many but any service that you pay specifically for TV from should probably be counted as it adds to your pay TV viewing choices, costs money and often presents a different User eXperience (UX) from your primary OTT service.

I would also suggest an accounting any extra money that is paid for higher speed broadband in the interest of insuring a quality viewing experience. Some are fortunate enough to have cheap and plentiful broadband choices but those considering cord cutting need to understand that is the case as many do not have such access.

Discounting areas of interest because "I don't need that" or "I'm not interested in" isn't fair to others who want them. I tried Fubo because it carried some content I think is worth going after that YTTV didn't. The channels were everything I had hoped for but the execution was lacking. I admittedly didn't get a chance to try the DVR feature because that doesn't much matter if the quality of the product isn't up to my basic requirements.

I would also suggest an accounting any extra money that is paid for higher speed broadband in the interest of insuring a quality viewing experience. Some are fortunate enough to have cheap and plentiful broadband choices but those considering cord cutting need to understand that is the case as many do not have such access.

Fine, I’ll play-
Comcast 1G-$95 a month which includes xFi Advantage(no data cap)
Netflix-$12.79 ( gift card discount)
Hulu-$8.79 ( gift card discount)
Disney+ -$3.92( prepaid discount)
Tablo/DVR/Box/OTA-basically $12.50 a month ( box, hard drive, lifetime service-$450 divided by 36 months-3 years , by the end of that it will be time for a updated Tablo because of the new standards)

So a total of $133 a month

Now since you asked and I answered, I expect the same-how much total do you pay for Dish (box/DVR fees and all) and Broadband and any streaming service you might have, maybe HBO for example.

Also, I could save a little by dropping my speed to say 300 ( 300, 600, 1G are the only speeds you can get xFi Advantage for no data cap) but that would only save me $15 and I like having the faster speed for other things also.

Lastly I did not need YTTV and say Hulu to replace a Traditional Provider, YTTV on it’s own did that, but we dropped YTTV last August since all the cable shows we watch was on Netflix and Hulu upon season end on Traditional Service, so we get that and all their new content( also most new content in 4K which you cannot get on Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, etc) for $21.58 a month.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
In a prior post here I mentioned that I am struggling with 'Start From Beginning'. It did not work on my new Sony TV's YTTV app.

So I tried an Amazon Fire Stick 4K. 'Start From Beginning' still doesn't work on it either. It just sits there stuck with a spinning circle (forever). This problem occurs on a show currently in progress, where I am given the options 'Join Live' or 'Start From Beginning'. I have even tried 'Join Live' and then rewinding to the beginning. Still get the spinning circle.

I did a Google search and people have been having this problem since 2018.

As a last resort I might get a Roku 4K (which has been reported to work with YTTV). Or I might switch to Orby Satellite service. Then I could save money by dropping my internet back down from 100 Mbps to 20.

Sorry to hear you're still having this problem on other devices. I've been regularly following and participating in various YTTV discussion groups since I signed up in Feb. 2018, and I've never heard of this as a recurring issue before. I assume you did the standard trouble-shooting procedures (rebooting everything in the chain, reinstalling apps, etc.).

Does the 100 Mbps give you a much larger data cap? If that's not why you need that level, you should be able to stream any live TV service or SVOD service, like Netflix, at 20 Mbps, unless your ISP isn't consistently giving you speeds over 10 Mbps with the 20 Mbps service and you have multiple users streaming simultaneously.

Does the 100 Mbps give you a much larger data cap? If that's not why you need that level, you should be able to stream any live TV service or SVOD service, like Netflix, at 20 Mbps, unless your ISP isn't consistently giving you speeds over 10 Mbps with the 20 Mbps service and you have multiple users streaming simultaneously.
Can confirm this, while faster speeds are offered by cable in our neighborhood, I am currently at the 25mbps tier with att (regularly gives me 30). We have zero issues running 3 streams (three person household) with any combination of YTTV/HULU/Netflix/ect.

Can confirm this, while faster speeds are offered by cable in our neighborhood, I am currently at the 25mbps tier with att (regularly gives me 30). We have zero issues running 3 streams (three person household) with any combination of YTTV/HULU/Netflix/ect.

Even with a home-based business, last May I was set to downgrade from 100 Mbps to 30 Mbps when Cox offered me a sweetheart deal to stay at my current level (I may have mentioned AT&T Fiber's competing offer ;) ). I've heard of people watching YTTV without any issue at 5 Mbps. Based on anecdotal evidence, YTTV seems to be the most stable of the live TV streaming services at lower speeds.

Fine, I’ll play-
Comcast 1G-$95 a month which includes xFi Advantage(no data cap)
Netflix-$12.79 ( gift card discount)
Hulu-$8.79 ( gift card discount)
Disney+ -$3.92( prepaid discount)
Tablo/DVR/Box/OTA-basically $12.50 a month ( box, hard drive, lifetime service-$450 divided by 36 months-3 years , by the end of that it will be time for a updated Tablo because of the new standards)

So a total of $133 a month
I think the place where we're not connecting is that your service availability and your preferences are yours and not necessarily representative or a baseline for everyone else's. What you have available to you in terms if broadband service is relatively excellent. Of course this is because I'm not sufficiently motivated (as I believe a majority of the population isn't) and don't spend time getting different kinds of discounts (shame on us but at the same time, if everyone was getting discounts, they would have to raise the prices to compensate).

Do you think it is fair to say that most could survive with a single service when it turns out that you're paying/have paid for three streaming services and OTA guide/DVR service? I apologize for accusing you of subscribing to YTTV but I think it would be required to begin the weaning process.

I expect you're going to get much more mileage out of your Tablo (or any other OTA solution). NEXTGEN is fairly far from getting a foothold (they're shooting for 19% of the upper middle markets by the end of the year). I would guess that the networks won't offer much more with NEXTGEN stations than they do with DTV until the biggest TV markets (NYC, LA) start getting NEXTGEN stations. When LA makes their transition, I'm betting there's going to be mass exodus from DTV as there aren't many spare channels to lighthouse the DTV content and they'll contemplate jamming all the DTV stations onto less than a handful of channels.

My theory holds that the "paradigm shift" for broadcast TV is likely to be little more than offering 1080p and HDR/WCG over and above what they're offering now. I hope the Fox chooses to upgrade to 1080 lines as part of this. Big wins with NEXTGEN TV will require a lot a new equipment to take advantage of for the majority of viewers.

Been reading this thread for a long time as I contemplate moving from Dish to YTTV when we do a move to another state later this year. I'd just opine that comments like "Who needs a 14 day guide, I don't! In fact I don't want it!" or comments like "You don't need that channel, I always watch those shows (this way.)" aren't extremely helpful. They fall in the category of comments in the Dish forums, such as when Dish drops all the Fox Sports channels and some people bemoan that and others tell them "Good riddance! I never watch sports anyway and they should get rid of ESPN too!"

Just a gentle reminder that a lot of people are just trying to determine if YTTV is right for them. Their decision and needs and desires in a TV delivery service aren't "wrong" or dumb if they differ from someone else's. On the guide question, I'm one of those who uses the 14 day guide to browse and find something I would have never looked for, then do a simple button click to record it. My wife is the same way. I'm sure there are people who prefer the TYYV method, but that doesn't mean either one is "best" it's just preference. For me, the Dish guide is perfect: I can do a search for movies, for sports, for recommended shows, or just browse the next couple of weeks and find something I would have never thought to look for, and when I do run across something I push one button to record it. We would also likely need to subscribe to a second service as there are a few channels we watch a lot that aren't on YTTV. But we haven't decided yet, and we will likely just sign up for a trial of YTTV and see how it works for us.

FWIW

I'd just opine that comments like "Who needs a 14 day guide, I don't! In fact I don't want it!"

Sure... ok, I get it.

So here’s the thing... guides are tactical, what’s on now or what’s on next. If you want a particular show, be strategic, use the search function. Then add it to you library. That way, it’s ‘recorded’ and you can watch it when you want.

This is the paradigm shift for streaming v. linear channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zookster
Just a gentle reminder that a lot of people are just trying to determine if YTTV is right for them. Their decision and needs and desires in a TV delivery service aren't "wrong" or dumb if they differ from someone else's. On the guide question, I'm one of those who uses the 14 day guide to browse and find something I would have never looked for, then do a simple button click to record it. My wife is the same way. I'm sure there are people who prefer the TYYV method, but that doesn't mean either one is "best" it's just preference. For me, the Dish guide is perfect: I can do a search for movies, for sports, for recommended shows, or just browse the next couple of weeks and find something I would have never thought to look for, and when I do run across something I push one button to record it. We would also likely need to subscribe to a second service as there are a few channels we watch a lot that aren't on YTTV. But we haven't decided yet, and we will likely just sign up for a trial of YTTV and see how it works for us.

FWIW

I don't think it's wrong or dumb to prefer to do things they way you've always done them. OTT live TV services were a learning curve for me too. But now that I've gotten used to it after 3-plus years, I prefer the new way of browsing content and finding shows. I just question people who criticize the way OTT live TV services work in that regard without giving them an honest shot (using one of the services for at least a month). If a 14-day guide is the main sticking point and worth paying $50-$75+ more mo. to have one, and a free third-party app just won't do, then that's simply where you've placed your priorities in your home entertainment experience.

So here’s the thing... guides are tactical, what’s on now or what’s on next.
While this may be just fine for channels dominated by episodic programming, it stumbles pretty badly on movie channels like AMC or TCM because you can't really know what to search for.

I don't think it's wrong or dumb to prefer to do things they way you've always done them. OTT live TV services were a learning curve for me too. But now that I've gotten used to it after 3-plus years, I prefer the new way of browsing content and finding shows. I just question people who criticize the way OTT live TV services work in that regard without giving them an honest shot (using one of the services for at least a month). If a 14-day guide is the main sticking point and worth paying $50-$75+ more mo. to have one, and a free third-party app just won't do, then that's simply where you've placed your priorities in your home entertainment experience.

Of course part of the problem of cutting the cord and also saving money is oft times more difficult if you include an OTT service in the mix. You either have to decide some shows are not worth it or pick more than one OTT or other type of streaming service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Of course part of the problem of cutting the cord and also saving money is oft times more difficult if you include an OTT service in the mix. You either have to decide some shows are not worth it or pick more than one OTT or other type of streaming service.

That's kind of a given. If you need all 200+ channels your traditional TV provider gives you, you simply aren't going to get all that in most live TV streaming services and you may as well stick with what you have, unless you're spending north of $50/mo just on box rentals and DVR fees. DirecTV Now came the closest with their higher channel tiers before they radically changed their offerings. And now Sling probably gives you the most if you sign up for every add-on tier, significantly increasing the cost.

Yet at the same time, it's been well established in these threads that most people who have OTT services like Netflix and Amazon Prime would carry those services anyway, just like many customers pay extra for premium cable channels.

With that said, if you're saving $50-$75 a month with something like YouTube TV, and you need to add Philo for $20 or regular Hulu for $6/$12, you're still saving a ton of money.

Currently OTT services are usually defined as being cable/sat replacement services, not Netflix, Prime and so forth, or at least that’s what I’m seeing in many forums and discussions.
In my current situation it is difficult to save money over the cable/internet bundle which effectively makes my TV bill $58/month and includes all my must have and like to have channels. If I choose to cut the cord and put up with ads, I can almost save enough to put up with the irritation of switching apps and watching ads. But the real secret of cutting the cord is to quit worrying about whatever new/old show is on cable and just look for interesting stuff to watch. There are tons of it out there.

I was just watching YouTube tv on my Roku and then the channel went missing. I went to add it back and I could not. Anyone have if this problem? I have a roku ultra

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Currently OTT services are usually defined as being cable/sat replacement services, not Netflix, Prime and so forth, or at least that’s what I’m seeing in many forums and discussions.
In my current situation it is difficult to save money over the cable/internet bundle which effectively makes my TV bill $58/month and includes all my must have and like to have channels. If I choose to cut the cord and put up with ads, I can almost save enough to put up with the irritation of switching apps and watching ads. But the real secret of cutting the cord is to quit worrying about whatever new/old show is on cable and just look for interesting stuff to watch. There are tons of it out there.

According to Wikipedia (and the consensus definition in the cord-cutting and tech media):
An over-the-top (OTT) media service is a streaming media service offered directly to viewers via the Internet. OTT bypasses cable, broadcast, and satellite television platforms that traditionally act as a controller or distributor of such content.[1]

The term is most synonymous with subscription-based video-on-demand (VoD) services that offer access to film and television content (including existing series acquired from other producers, as well as original content produced specifically for the service). Examples include Amazon Music, Apple TV+, Crunchyroll, DC Universe, Disney+, FunimationNow, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Music, HBO Max, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, Pluto TV, Prime Video, Roku, SiriusXM, Sling TV, VRV, YouTube Premium and YouTube TV. OTT also encompasses a wave of "skinny" television services that offer access to live streams of linear specialty channels, similar to a traditional satellite or cable TV provider, but streamed over the public Internet, rather than a closed, private network with proprietary equipment such as set-top boxes.

Over-the-top services are typically accessed via websites on personal computers, as well as via apps on mobile devices (such as smartphones and tablets), digital media players (including video game consoles), or televisions with integrated Smart TV platforms.

If I was only paying $58/mo for a traditional TV/internet bundle and was getting everything I need and want, I probably would've never visited these threads.

I was just watching YouTube tv on my Roku and then the channel went missing. I went to add it back and I could not. Anyone have if this problem? I have a roku ultra

Apparently there's an issue affecting a lot of Roku users (hasn't happened to me), but it seems to have been fixed now and requires that you manually check for system software update, then you'll probably need to sign into your Roku account again.

Reactions: Shelzs99
Apparently there's an issue affecting a lot of Roku users (hasn't happened to me), but it seems to have been fixed now and requires that you manually check for system software update, then you'll probably need to sign into your Roku account again.

Thank you. I went back in and it let me install the channel again and logged in. Hopefully it will keep working fine.

Reactions: Zookster
Been reading this thread for a long time as I contemplate moving from Dish to YTTV when we do a move to another state later this year. I'd just opine that comments like "Who needs a 14 day guide, I don't! In fact I don't want it!" or comments like "You don't need that channel, I always watch those shows (this way.)" aren't extremely helpful. They fall in the category of comments in the Dish forums, such as when Dish drops all the Fox Sports channels and some people bemoan that and others tell them "Good riddance! I never watch sports anyway and they should get rid of ESPN too!"

FWIW
I completely agree with you. I like the facts and can decide for myself whether it meets my needs.

I have previously subscribed to Dish Network, DirecTV, and cable before moving to YTTV. For me, all three previous services were far better than YTTV except for one thing: price. I was paying about $130 a month for cable.

I left cable in early December because I got tired of them jacking up the bill every month. They invented new fees from time to time, and the bill looked like a phone book with cryptic charges. YTTV is just $49.99, period. I like that. But that, IMO, is the only advantage of YTTV.

I find the interface for YTTV very clunky, tedious to access common functions, and BUGGY. For a long time "Start from beginning" did not work for me. Yesterday it started working -- not sure for how long. Sometimes fast forward and reverse don't do anything. And the short guide in the Android TV guide is a great inconvenience. Not only that, but the show descriptions don't even have the 'Original Air' date.

I am waiting for the next time Orby DVRs go on sale and will probably leave YTTV. It's too bad the YTTV interface sucks so much, IMO. If they made it work like a conventional DVR it could be a really good value.

Reactions: KE4EST
While this may be just fine for channels dominated by episodic programming, it stumbles pretty badly on movie channels like AMC or TCM because you can't really know what to search for.

Are you looking for something to watch now, or are you looking for a particular movie/show? Either way, use search and select the network. The live tab lets you scroll linear showings. There are other tabs for the library of movies, series, etc for the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)