The YouTube TV Thread

I just signed up for YTTV a few days ago. I’m currently using Hulu +Live and got tired of the DVR restrictions. Given the $15 increase, however, I’ll likely stay with Hulu. Their library far exceeds any other provider and their live offering has improved significantly over the years.

It’s interesting to watch all of these streaming services grow and slowly start to price themselves into premium territory. It’s similar to when satellite first came on the scene. You could get more channels, all digital, for a fraction of the cost of cable. Slowly over time, however, sat and cable became very comparable in price. I suspect that’s what will eventually happen with the streaming services.

The one area where you may begin to see significant savings is in the equipment fees you don’t have to pay for. However, that could be offset by having to pay more for an Internet package with no data caps.

The house I just bought is in a Charter area, I will check out their TV Choice package which is $24.99, which I believe you get your locals and pick 10 channels, to be honest, I think I will have trouble getting to 10, none of which is any of the Viacom channels.

Decided, going with TV Choice, looked it up-unlimited streams, DVR ( which I never use) and I was correct about how the channels work, the other plus is install the app on the Roku and ready to go.

Now I could easily afford to stay with YTTV or switch to a more Traditional service like Dish, I just do not get any value from it, I care nothing about Live TV, all those channels and the majority of content is reruns, I get more value and content from the streaming services like Netflix

Reactions: ncted
Speaking of other cable carries... what's stopping cable companies like Comcast, Charter, Cox, etc from distributing their own OTT live TV option? Kind of like what AT&T (apparently?) has done with it's U-Verse TV and whatever they're calling their streaming AT&T option now.

Whereas before - U-Verse TV was limited to areas that were actually serviced by AT&T - now it's open to anyone with an Internet connection. The same could be true for Comcast, Charter and the likes.

But I suppose the costs to do so just might not be worth it. But the more competition in the live TV market, that should help to keep costs down.

WOW! quite a hit $15 for 8 channels I won't watch. No NFL network or History channel in the offering either. What to do, What to do?

i see fubu mentioned, and I agree that the price increase will be at least $15. They didn’t add Viacom. They added the most expensive channel that is offered (or is reported to be so).

Honestly, I see them being absorbed into another service or being out of business sooner rather than later. The value doesn’t seem there to me, they don’t have a high sub count, and there aren’t any live sports of note on currently.

Decided, going with TV Choice, looked it up-unlimited streams, DVR ( which I never use) and I was correct about how the channels work, the other plus is install the app on the Roku and ready to go.

Now I could easily afford to stay with YTTV or switch to a more Traditional service like Dish, I just do not get any value from it, I care nothing about Live TV, all those channels and the majority of content is reruns, I get more value and content from the streaming services like Netflix

Yeah, it isn't about what I can afford, it is about what value I am getting for the money. All I really need is locals and a few cable channels. Everything else is on-demand streaming.

i see fubu mentioned, and I agree that the price increase will be at least $15. They didn’t add Viacom. They added the most expensive channel that is offered (or is reported to be so).

Honestly, I see them being absorbed into another service or being out of business sooner rather than later. The value doesn’t seem there to me, they don’t have a high sub count, and there aren’t any live sports of note on currently.

FuboTV is dropping the WarnerMedia stations at midnight., so the forecasted coming price increase might be a little smaller.

Guesses as to the cost of Fubo TV's base package after the Disney nets (including ESPN, local ABC, FX, etc.) are added soon? My guess is that it jumps from the current $55 to $70. I don't see how the carriage costs of all those additional channels don't total at least $15/mo, especially for an operator like Fubo with so few subscribers. Heck, maybe the price will jump to $75 but they'll include the expanded cloud DVR.

Since Fubo is losing the WarnerMedia channels (CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon, etc.) but also gaining the Disney channels, they're only increasing the price of the base package by $5, to $60. I would've figured that would be at least a $10 increase. So not too bad, IMO. Irony is that Fubo markets itself as a service for sports fans and just as they were on the cusp of landing the ESPN and ABC channels, giving them a lot of critical sports coverage they were missing, they're now losing TBS and TNT, which carry MLB, NBA and NCAA March Madness games. They also lost the Fox Sports RSNs back at the start of the year. All of these OTT cable TV services have holes, except for AT&T TV, which is priced and provisioned much more like a traditional service.

FUBO only has a 30 hour DVR. That's a deal killer for us. I'm not sure I need the unlimited DVR, but one reason we really liked Dish over Directv was 16 tuners vs. 4. Most of the time 4 is fine, but it was common we'd have more than 4 things that we needed to record at the same time. And 30 hours? um - no way.

Yeah, but if you pay an extra $5, you can move up from the Standard package to the Family Bundle, which gives you the same channels but bumps you up to 500 hours of cloud DVR storage and a 3rd simultaneous stream.

As far as number of things you can record at the same time, I don't think any of these cloud DVRs have a limit. The limit is on the number of screens that can be *watching* something (whether live, recorded, or VOD) at the same time. I know AT&T TV explicitly states that you can record as many shows at the same time as you like.

Yes, AT&T TV is the only one with all the sports channels, and is very flexible with channels but of course with a price and a contract. Oddly missing the NFL channel.

And yes, you can record as many shows at the same time as you like, but the storage limit is there and from other posts, is a real number (500 hours) that is enforced. And it has an expiration date for recordings.

Wow a 30% increase. Guess I'll have to start looking.

I switched to dish last week. I’ve would have been paying around 90$ for YouTube tv and Philo. I got a Hopper 3, 3 TV’s, a 300$ gift card, the Top 250 plus package,the heartland package for free(healthcare provider) for 48 months with a free movie rental each month for 96$ a month for the first the ten months. After 10 months my refer a friend credit runs out and after 12 months the addition 10$ off credit they gave me runs out. I feel ok about that deal. In two years if it sucks I will move on.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I'll spend a few hours looking at other services and considering other options, but likely stay with YouTube TV. Whatever anyone says, $65 is still MUCH cheaper than cable or satellite (outside of a bare bones package, one non-DVR receiver, and/or a 12-mo. promo price with contract).

But now that Fubo has finally added ESPN and ABC networks, that's now a viable option pending what price increase that entails.

Ultimately it might come down to whether there's even anything to watch in the fall. With sports still iffy and most prime time shows not being able to film yet, the offerings will be slim. I can see myself pausing live TV service until things get back to normal.

I will be staying with YTTV/wStarz,it's still worth the money to me plus I added Philo for all those extra channels I like.

Added Smithsonian and Motor Trend to Prime. Dropped YTTV, of the channels I watch I only lost Fox News. I do get a lot of my channels and sub channels off the air. Also subbed to F1 Tv.

Added Smithsonian and Motor Trend to Prime. Dropped YTTV, of the channels I watch I only lost Fox News. I do get a lot of my channels and sub channels off the air. Also subbed to F1 Tv.

I'm curious to hear how you like F1 TV. If you don't mind, would you post a review after this weekend's race about what you like and don't like in a new thread?

I will be staying with YTTV/wStarz,it's still worth the money to me plus I added Philo for all those extra channels I like.
This is the problem I see, I had DIsh for 14 years, did not need to subscribe to any other service but the price was too high. Switched to YTTV, added some other services to fill in the gaps and was still paying less than Dish. 3 short years later YTTV has gone from $35 to $65, Netflix has gone up and I still have to backfill with some other streaming to get what I like. So now I am paying close to $90 per mo for everything. When I left Dish i was down to paying about the same (had been much higher with extra hoppers and top tier package). Where does a cord cutter go next?

OK - what the heck? We recorded Good Girls, NBC, and got the whole newest season. We watch episodes 1 and 2, were going to watch 3 last night, and all episodes before 5 were gone! Why would it delete episodes?