These problems with HR34 HMC makes me worried...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HPIA4v2

Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
PNW
I am planning on getting DTV but don't want to pay $100 for buggy/overheating/slow box, on paper this thing is it, but what if this is similar to blue-death of earlier Xbox.

I wonder if two HR24 is a better setup, is HR24 solid/fast and reliable? Thanks.

I have heard about more problems with the hopper setup than the HR34 setup. Also HR34 has been out for a while now. If you have 5 plus TVs I would go for 2 hddvrs but if you have under 5 tvs I would grab the hmc.

I am not arguing being a newbie, but I just looking for decent feature box that is fast, and reliable (especially for VOD purposes). I rarely record 5-shows at a time, BTW two HR24s will have 4-tuners combine anyway and can share playlist among them, corect?

If you are wanting fast, I wouldn't rely on a HR-24 being faster than an hr-34. My HR-24 is okay sometimes but sometimes I will push buttons and nothing happens so I keep mashing them. Then about 15 seconds later the DVR starts going crazy and reacting to every button that I've pushed. That's about the only thing that I liked better about Dish. Their 722 was more responsive. My HR-24 seems like it's always a bit laggy.

I don't have any problems with my HR34. It just does what it is supposed to do. I had a 722 when I was with Dish, and really prefer the HR 34 over the 722. I don't understand why people complain about the HR 34 being slow. It works great for me.

I have no immediate plans to upgrade to the HR34.

But, if and when one of my HR2Xs quits then I plan to go to the HR34/C31 (aka Genie) setup.
I'll have to upgrade to SWM then as well.

I have both a 34 and 24. I would agree neither is as responsive as the 722 I had with Dish, but both are acceptable (might take a half second longer to do something than the 722 did). The 34 initially had some problems missing recordings (tuner would lock up and have to reboot to free it), but that hasn't happened for months with the newer software. The 24 has been solid ever since I got it, but isn't noticeably faster than the 34.

If you are wanting fast, I wouldn't rely on a HR-24 being faster than an hr-34. My HR-24 is okay sometimes but sometimes I will push buttons and nothing happens so I keep mashing them. Then about 15 seconds later the DVR starts going crazy and reacting to every button that I've pushed. That's about the only thing that I liked better about Dish. Their 722 was more responsive. My HR-24 seems like it's always a bit laggy.

I've experienced my HR24 ignoring remote commands only to a mad scramble to catch up after what seems like a long time. A "red button" reset seems to help.

I am not arguing being a newbie, but I just looking for decent feature box that is fast, and reliable (especially for VOD purposes). I rarely record 5-shows at a time, BTW two HR24s will have 4-tuners combine anyway and can share playlist among them, corect?

Yes.

Your one of the few then.

My HR34 reminds me sometimes of my ex-girlfriend

When it works...I'm happy :p
But when it gets bitchy and starts acting up......oh good lord

I have had the HR-34 since the second day that they came out, it has certainly had its growing pains, but I have been very pleased with it. Mine seems as responsive if not more than my HR24 receivers.

The only feature of the HR34 that interests me is the OTA scanning on the AM21. I am seriously considering getting the HR34 just for this purpose. Only once or twice in my life have I ever needed more than 2 tuners (3 shows on at one time) - I recorded two of them and watched the other OTA. But, I know that feature is important to others and it's pretty cool, should I ever need it. But having the OTA channels there - that's legit.

My HR34 has been pretty solid. I have definitive had many more problems with my HR22 than I have my HR34. I wouldn't trade my 34 for anything

I have complained about the HR34 being laggy ever since I got installed in March. sometimes VERY laggy, and buggy. Many posters here get on the CE and make their comments based on that, forgetting they are not on the NR.

In the past 2-3 weeks, I do feel like the HR34 is FINALLY becoming responsive, reaching the level I would have expected before they dared to ship it to non-beta customers, and worthy of being on the flagship unit... of course I'd probably get home and discover that Pandora or YouTube has re-disappeared from my menus :) (but that would be a buggy issue, not a laggy issue :) )

short version.. this thing was RUSHED out the door by DTV... and the SW is still playing catch-up.. but maybe its finally getting close.

My HR 34 used to be really really slow and buggy. I would press the guide button and literally wait 30 seconds for it to actually pop up. Pressing the page up and down buttons on the guide was extremely slow and I got a lot of weird alignment issues in the grid too. The last 2 updates that came out for the 34 have made things much better for me. Everything is is much more responsive. I'm much happier with this now.

I have complained about the HR34 being laggy ever since I got installed in March. sometimes VERY laggy, and buggy. Many posters here get on the CE and make their comments based on that, forgetting they are not on the NR.

In the past 2-3 weeks, I do feel like the HR34 is FINALLY becoming responsive, reaching the level I would have expected before they dared to ship it to non-beta customers, and worthy of being on the flagship unit... of course I'd probably get home and discover that Pandora or YouTube has re-disappeared from my menus :) (but that would be a buggy issue, not a laggy issue :) )

short version.. this thing was RUSHED out the door by DTV... and the SW is still playing catch-up.. but maybe its finally getting close.

I think most of the recvrs are sent out before they should, this goes for many companies.
The HR20's came out before they were ready, but public pressure/demand forced them out.
We went 3-6 months before the OTA portion was turned on and made available to us.

I've heard a lot of people talking about them being laggy.

Yes this is a common complaint despite what some may say. I've experienced this lag as well but the hr24's are the fastest Dvrs directv has so far. overall I'm also pleased with the hr34 even with the occasional lag. Worse Dvrs I've ever used were between the hr21's-23's. My experience is limited to 10 years with dish and almost 5 years with directv so I'm sure there are much worse out there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts