They think were idiots

rkr0923

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2004
South
Had Voom installed yesterday, finally, after 2 cancellations. Installer was slow as a Christmas Turkey but overall done a good job. Cables nice and neat, drip loops, grounded, give him a "A" for the work but that's about it. He knew nothing about VOOM or HD in general. Got everything hooked up, called Voom and wasn't long we had a picture. A good one too, 90 strength. nice clear crisp. But, no OTA picture. Shows up on the guide but nothing else. He calls Voom back, they tell him I need a Digital Antenna. BS! Had one for years with no problems in D*tv. I have close to $500.00 invested in my OTA setup. 60' tower, 2 antennas pointing opposite so I can get 2 different markets. I told him, you saw the picture on D*tv before we unhooked it, so why do I need a new antenna when I had a 80 strength before. I told him I heard you may have to wait over night for some stupid download and I was willing to wait. He called Voom back, they said the same thing. I still have no locals! I called Voom, she said she would write up a work order for a service call but she was sure I needed a antenna or a rotor blah blah blah. I told her NO I do not need anything of such just come get the damn thang! So much for my Voom, was looking forward to it too. I hate it when they try to blame your equipment for something that works fine. Makes me mad as hell when that happens.

It may take up to 4 days or so to get the locals mapped to where you actually rx them. It took me a couple of days. You shouldn't need a service call.

Well, your loss then. I'd wait a couple days, I had all kinds of problems with my OTA's at first. Now I'm getting them all in fine.

If you are really having problems and tech support isn't helping much, email Wilt. He works for VOOM and was a godsend in helping me get my issues resolved. He's a stand up guy. If you PM Sean Mota, the Moderator for this forum I'm sure he can put you in contact with him.

occammd said:
It may take up to 4 days or so to get the locals mapped to where you actually rx them. It took me a couple of days. You shouldn't need a service call.

Actually, what does this mean? When my installation was complete, my local channels were choppy and signal strength was poor. Both the installer and VOOM support said it may take several days for signal strength to build? What are they talking about? What exactly takes "a couple of days" to occur?

SoupMama said:
Actually, what does this mean? When my installation was complete, my local channels were choppy and signal strength was poor. Both the installer and VOOM support said it may take several days for signal strength to build? What are they talking about? What exactly takes "a couple of days" to occur?

In my experience with OTA signal (even with VOOM), you either get them or do not get them. There's nothing in between. Some possible reasons why you don't get your OTA.

1 - most important is the mapping. Are all your locals on the PG? If you are not sure go to www.antennaweb.org and select digital only.

2- Is the Antenna pointing in the correct direction? the initial antennas are all directional.

3- Did you check the distance between you and each UHF or VHF OTA channel? Do you know what range (in miles) your antenna has?

4- Obstruction. Are you located in an area with buildings or trees blocking you? If so the signal maybe bouncing in another direction.

5- Have you looked at your setup? Is your OTA connected to the OTA module?

6- Are you using a diplexer? If so, go to RS and replace it. Some of these have been found to be bad from the get go.

7- Last, I would check signal quality and strength for OTA in the systems settings. If you see a big number for OTA strength, you might want to reboot or plug/unplug stb to see if the big number dissapears. If it does not, you migh have a bad receiver or a bad OTA module.

The above assumes that you have the latest software version 5.68.

P.S. OTA signal is not an exact science. I had to manuever mine a whole lot to understand how my location gets affected by various things. Also, your transmittion tower may not be operating a full strength. Give VOOM sometime and it will get resolved. If you cannot wait, I am sorry but that's how OTA is. The problem may be as simple as loose end of a coax.

I am not sure but if this guy was picking up analog with his antennas with D* and now wants digital stations and HD, and those stations are UHF and his existing antenna is VHF, then Id say he is the idiot. IF his existing antennas are UHF and his digital stations are UHF then id say he just needs to wait until the stations are mapped. Or it could be that the digital stations are just at really low power and he is SOL. But I have yet to see in his rant whether or not his existing antennas are UHF or VHF or whether his digital stations are UHF or VHF.

the comment "wait a couple days for your signal to build" is pure idiocy. There is no such thing. What you wait for is the mapping to the PG and the OTA rx frequencies.

SoupMama said:

Several days for signal strength to build up :rolleyes: ..We are not charging a battery...Stupid Installer and support.. Does VOOM really care if you get an OTA signal? I would think not since they have no control or mak any profit from OTA.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard............wait, build, all that crap!
The CSR said the installer shouldn't have left till he got picture, what???? is going to camp in the yard for days. The next one said it does take a day or so........why would anyone put out a product like this. I yanked the receiver out, hooked my D*tv back up.....BOOM!
OTA in less than 5 minutes...............No way was I gonna miss Paris tonight...oh yeah!
and Voom will be here 07-09 to get their junk

Sean Mota said:
In my experience with OTA signal (even with VOOM), you either get them or do not get them. There's nothing in between. Some possible reasons why you don't get your OTA.

1 - most important is the mapping. Are all your locals on the PG? If you are not sure go to www.antennaweb.org and select digital only.

2- Is the Antenna pointing in the correct direction? the initial antennas are all directional.

3- Did you check the distance between you and each UHF or VHF OTA channel? Do you know what range (in miles) your antenna has?

4- Obstruction. Are you located in an area with buildings or trees blocking you? If so the signal maybe bouncing in another direction.

5- Have you looked at your setup? Is your OTA connected to the OTA module?

6- Are you using a diplexer? If so, go to RS and replace it. Some of these have been found to be bad from the get go.

7- Last, I would check signal quality and strength for OTA in the systems settings. If you see a big number for OTA strength, you might want to reboot or plug/unplug stb to see if the big number dissapears. If it does not, you migh have a bad receiver or a bad OTA module.

The above assumes that you have the latest software version 5.68.

P.S. OTA signal is not an exact science. I had to manuever mine a whole lot to understand how my location gets affected by various things. Also, your transmittion tower may not be operating a full strength. Give VOOM sometime and it will get resolved. If you cannot wait, I am sorry but that's how OTA is. The problem may be as simple as loose end of a coax.

1 YES
2 YES
3 YES
4 NO
5 YES
6 NO

You sound like them..........I'm not a idiot, everything has been checked and double checked

rkr0923 said:
You sound like them..........I'm not a idiot, everything has been checked and double checked

I'm sorry, but you do sound like an idiot - the proof is in your posting!

While it is certainly understandable to vent your frustration, it is quite another to blubber nonsensically. Like you, I too had a terrible experience with my OTA install. Unlike you, I gratefully accepted advice from Sean and others in this forum. The folks at VOOM/Installs Inc. bent over backwards to correct my problem. You may have a similar experience if you would just demonstrate a little patience.

Anyway, I hope your reconsider your impulsive decision to cancel VOOM.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm sorry, but you do sound like an idiot - the proof is in your posting!

While it is certainly understandable to vent your frustration, it is quite another to blubber nonsensically. Like you, I too had a terrible experience with my OTA install. Unlike you, I gratefully accepted advice from Sean and others in this forum. The folks at VOOM/Installs Inc. bent over backwards to correct my problem. You may have a similar experience if you would just demonstrate a little patience.

Anyway, I hope your reconsider your impulsive decision to cancel VOOM.
I agree with the idiot assessment. I had an existing UHF antenna getting 7 HD stations OTA with D*. No problems installing Voom. And as far as "voom not caring", I havnt seen installers for D* installing antennas.

This problem is easy enough to troubleshoot.

1. With everything connected correctly :) , put up the guide and tune to one of the OTA channels that you normally get a very strong signal on. If your guide does not show your OTA channels correctly, then you are not properly mapped and that needs to be corrected. If the guide is up, then...

2. Check the front of the IRD and look for a small satellite symbol in the LED display. If the symbol is green, then the signal is getting to the IRD just fine and you have a defective IRD.

3. If the symbol is red, then the signal is not reaching the IRD, or the firmware is locked, at which time you have to figure out why.

4. Reboot the IRD, tune back to the same channel, and then check the color again. If it is still red, then...

5. Plug the exact same antenna lead into to your D* receiver and if it works just fine, then you have a defective OTA module (that little card inserted into the IRD where the antenna lead plugs in).

It's that simple and only requires about 5 minutes to determine the problem. I had a defective OTA module and I suspect that that is your problem as well.

stop the name calling!

Stop calling people names!

This guy paid for a service to be rendered. He has a right to be pissed. Do you guys work for Voom or something?

Some of us haven't had the best experience with Voom either. I still don't have my channels mapped properly. Voom is lucky that i'm extremely patient because i want the service to be right, eventually. This guy has a right to take his business elseware if he isn't satisfied.

Remeber, people don't spend their money to be dissatisfied.

rkr0923 said:
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard............wait, build, all that crap!
The CSR said the installer shouldn't have left till he got picture, what???? is going to camp in the yard for days. The next one said it does take a day or so........why would anyone put out a product like this. I yanked the receiver out, hooked my D*tv back up.....BOOM!
OTA in less than 5 minutes...............No way was I gonna miss Paris tonight...oh yeah!
and Voom will be here 07-09 to get their junk

don't let the door hit ya in the ass! C-Ya

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)