They told me everything was free!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
Okay, I gotta start this topic so I can get every ones input on attic work and wall fish or any other "custom labor". When ever I run into the situation where a wall fish and attic work is requested I was under the assumption that it is free. When the customer tells me he/she wants the outlet on a certain wall, I point out an exterior wall penetration option. If the customer insist on a wall fish I point out on the back of the work order that "Wall fish" is not part of the standard install. Then they pull the ole "They told me everything was free!!". I explain, Standard install is free, Custom labor is not. Of course when I leave they get right on the phone to call dish and tell them how un-professional I was.
Some times I call dish and the CSR will also say it is free or the advanced dish God will say it's free. I even had a CSR say, "Okay, I added custom labor charges to the work order, Go ahead and do the wall fish for free".

Other things customers expect for free are;
Hooking up existing antenna (diplex off air)
Hook up the surround sound
Add a phone outlet
Add a slave/clone back fead.

I like to get every ones opinion on this, Including non techs. If any customer has an opinion, I would like to hear that too.

Last edited:
From your public profile it looks like you are a subcontractor for DISH. I suggest you get their opinion and follow their rules. Public opinion dosen't mean anything it is the opinion of the person signing the pay check.

From your public profile it looks like you are a subcontractor for DISH. I suggest you get their opinion and follow their rules. Public opinion dosen't mean anything it is the opinion of the person signing the pay check.
I guess your right, Just wanted to get an opinion from everyone who deals with this on a day to day basis since I can never get the "Official word" from dish, or even the guy who signes my piddley pay check.:)

It's not the customer's fault, it's Dish's fault for making it seem like everything that is necessary is free.

It's not the customer's fault, it's Dish's fault for making it seem like everything that is necessary is free.
I agree 100%, And I do go out of my way to give the customer what they want. If the customer wants something above what the work order calls for, I make sure it happens. As I mentioned, I call dish to have them add the custom labor charges to the work order so I can get paid for the extra work. But in some cases, Custom labor can not be done. Wall fish on an outside wall, Wall fish on the first floor or Unsafe attic. Thats what I ment.
I know my job is to satisfy the customer, And I do my best Thats my job.
Hope that clears up what I ment, Sometimes my fingers don't say what my mind thinks.

sorry, not free, if they want it free, they can do it themselves. BASIC INSTALL is free. thank you.

Last edited:

sorry, not free, if they want it free, they can do it themselves. BASIC INSTALL is free. thank you.

You're both right. Dish really does need to clarify things a bit better. Unfortunately, it really comes down to the sales partners promising the customer the moon.

Unfortunately, it really comes down to the sales partners promising the customer the moon.

This is the biggest problem we have.

When I first started I would do all kinds of stuff to make the customer happy. Not anymore. I don't make any money if I do all kinds of work for free. Unless I happen to be in a really good mood, and have nothing better to do that day.... a basic free install is just that, a basic install.

I agree 100%, And I do go out of my way to give the customer what they want. If the customer wants something above what the work order calls for, I make sure it happens. As I mentioned, I call dish to have them add the custom labor charges to the work order so I can get paid for the extra work. But in some cases, Custom labor can not be done. Wall fish on an outside wall, Wall fish on the first floor or Unsafe attic. Thats what I ment.
I know my job is to satisfy the customer, And I do my best Thats my job.
Hope that clears up what I ment, Sometimes my fingers don't say what my mind thinks.

Wow, you sound like the installer I wish I'd had! You sound (read?) like a breath of fresh air. I know working with the public can be a PITA but the yo-yo's I've experienced when I needed an upgrade were pathetic.:rolleyes: My hat's off to ya bud. Hang in there!

Ed

Dish sales does have a tendency to say whatever they think they have to say in order to make a sale. They also leave things out, like the phone jack requirement on 622/722's.

Lately, I have been feeling compassion for the Dish techs. From what I have read, they are underpaid and forced to do unpaid labor (usually related to something that they are accused of f*c*ing up at an install).

I own a computer business and hire contractors for computer repair in the Tampa Bay area. If any of you installers also do residential computers, and know what you are doing, contact me via private message if you need extra work. I pay better than Dish and appreciate my service people.

I just can't believe the dirt on Dish I have been seeing on here lately. What BS!

A written policy from Dish would solve the problem, especially if shown to them prior to you showing up.

I worked with my installer to get exactly what I wanted. He gave me a spool of coax and into the attic I went. When he first arrived he sort of rolled his eyes when I told him what I wanted, I did the hard part except for the roof. That was his contribution.

He was quite happy to be gone in 2 hours, easy job with my help.

I realize most would expect the installer to do it all, including moving furniture out and in.

A written policy from Dish would solve the problem, especially if shown to them prior to you showing up.

I worked with my installer to get exactly what I wanted. He gave me a spool of coax and into the attic I went. When he first arrived he sort of rolled his eyes when I told him what I wanted, I did the hard part except for the roof. That was his contribution.

He was quite happy to be gone in 2 hours, easy job with my help.

I realize most would expect the installer to do it all, including moving furniture out and in.

I love customers like you. It's really nice when a customer is willing to help when there's something unusual to be done. With the amount of jobs we're slammed with these days, getting hung up on a job can ruin your day.

So what happens to you in these situations? Performing custom installation work could add hour(s) to your day. Are you re-imbursed by Dish for this time? If not, then you definitely have a contractual problem with Dish and need to get that clarified. But if you are getting paid for it, then I guess your options are better..

So what happens to you in these situations? Performing custom installation work could add hour(s) to your day. Are you re-imbursed by Dish for this time? If not, then you definitely have a contractual problem with Dish and need to get that clarified. But if you are getting paid for it, then I guess your options are better..
Heres the deal. Theres no union, and we do not make AT&T/GM/FORD/CHRYSLER, money. Basically half of what those companies pay their employees. Thats it, it is what it is, period. Everyday, satallite companies overbook each shop by about 30%. EVERYDAY. Why? Because of No Line Of Sight's, (NLOS) customer no show's, and reschedules. So if a 4 banger (4 room) doesn't go, theres another one to replace it. Now if we have to spend another 2- 3 hours on a job, that I am not being compensated for, which pushes back the last job to the edge of the 12- 5 pm arrival slot, or most of the time, PAST the time slot, two things happen. A tech who has started his day at 6:30 AM, already has had basically a full day, shows up, to do another 4-5 hour job. What time is it at the end now? Between 9 - 10 PM? You're tired, the tech is tired, and, 2., the whole last job, is done in the dark, this time of year. Remember DISH, and Directv are CORPORATE companies. Techs are just a number to them, because YOU are just an account NUMBER too. Is there a happy medium? Sometimes. Just by YOU knowing of this forum and being aware of the many obsticles techs deal with, (we are the face, the legs, the dumping ground) for CORPORATE, you're miles ahead of the average customer. We do the best we can, because we need our jobs, and its not really that hard if you know what you're doing. But we do need to make our living, too. So if you help, you're golden to us!! If you want to save the $$ of custom work, get your work boots, safety glasses, light up the attic or crawl, and lets go, otherwise, .............?????

Last edited:
Ask your boss to furnish a copy of E*'s business rule. That clearly states what constitutes a "Standard Professional Installation". Once you read that you will find that one wall fish is included in the free standard installation. The other things you mentioned are indeed custom labor.

Ask your boss to furnish a copy of E*'s business rule. That clearly states what constitutes a "Standard Professional Installation". Once you read that you will find that one wall fish is included in the free standard installation. The other things you mentioned are indeed custom labor.
READ THIS!!! Sorry, nowhere is one wallfish included!!!! nowhere. Basic installs are either directly through the wall, or floor. thank you, very much, sir. Right off of the DISH Homepage....................
dn_redArrowDots.gif
Standard Professional Installation Includes
  • Site survey (at time of installation)
  • Assembly of dishes and mount(s)
  • Grounding of system components
  • System peaking for optimum performance
  • Installation of up to 120' RG-6 cable
  • One wall cable penetration
  • Testing of equipment for proper operation
  • Orientation to DISH Network programming and equipment
dn_redArrowDots.gif
Materials Provided At No Charge:
  • Up to 120' RG-6 cable
  • Coaxial cable connectors
  • Grounding equipment
  • Weather sealant for connections
    and structure penetration

READ THIS!!! Sorry, nowhere is one wallfish included!!!! nowhere. Basic installs are either directly through the wall, or floor. thank you, very much, sir. Right off of the DISH Homepage....................
dn_redArrowDots.gif
Standard Professional Installation Includes
  • Site survey (at time of installation)
  • Assembly of dishes and mount(s)
  • Grounding of system components
  • System peaking for optimum performance
  • Installation of up to 120' RG-6 cable
  • One wall cable penetration
  • Testing of equipment for proper operation
  • Orientation to DISH Network programming and equipment
dn_redArrowDots.gif
Materials Provided At No Charge:
  • Up to 120' RG-6 cable
  • Coaxial cable connectors
  • Grounding equipment
  • Weather sealant for connections
    and structure penetration

First off, take a deep breath and take your meds. Then, please see section 1.2.4 of the attached Standard Professional Installation Guidelines.

Attachments

• Standard_Residential_Professional_Installation_Guidelines_111202[2].pdf
    152.6 KB · Views: 224
First off, take a deep breath and take your meds. Then, please see section 1.2.4 of the attached Standard Professional Installation Guidelines.
Dude...........can you say.............you've been rescheduled? Sorry and buh bye!!! Please take your pdf up the wall with you, cause you're doing it! Man, glad 90% of my workload is the other guys!!!!

Last edited:
LOL, now we get to the truth of this..... a lazy installer who will provide the customer with a poor customer experience due to his "Dude.....can you say...you've been rescheduled? Sorry and buh bye!!!" attitude. Do your job. If you don't like it or don't think you're being paid enough then get another job. But don't half ass it.

I use to work install E* for a local dealer here in town. I never got paid once for a wall fish, climbing around in the attic. Climbing around under the house. My boss told me that is the way he works and he got lots of work because of it. Then one of the guys that I worked with started working for D* and he charged every time he had to open the attic door. Even if he just stuck his head in there to look around. You got to watch the customer. Some of them will get all they can out of you for free and not even care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts