Thinking about getting dish, hows this deal...

seezar

Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm thinking about getting dish network. I currently have 70 channel basic cable through Time Warner. I pay about $38 a month for it. I'm currently on a 3 year promotion for it, last year it was about $30, it went up $8 this year and next year it goes up another $8 and then it will be normal price (about $55)

Anyway, a local dish dealer is offering the top60 package for $19.99 a month for 12 months. They also said I can get the 522 DVR and the DVR fee is waived for the first 10 months. They also give lifetime service so if there are any problems there is no charges for service calls. There is a 12 month contract with this. I'd also get HBO and Showtime free for 3 months.

There are 2 TVs I definately would like to be hooked up. If I was to have up to 2 more sets then obviously it would be about another $5 for another dual tuner receiver. I have a third set I'm considering hooking up as well.

So all in all, it looks like it would end up costing me either $19.99 or 24.99 or so if I hook up more than 2 sets plus about $10.00 for the DVR service for the year since the first 10 months are free.

Does this sound like a pretty decent offer?

I also have a HD set but I'm thinking about just getting HD OTA since I was told the HD receiver isnt dual tuner and I'd just much rather get a dual tuner receiver and have DVR service.

Well other than the LIFETIME service that sounds about normal. The Retailer must be paying for the DVR fee for the first 10 months.

I would really recommend that you make sure the channels you want are on the basic 60. Alot of people are brought in by the price of the basic 60 than realize later that it does not have the channels they want. Other than that it is a pretty good deal for low price TV.

Dave nye said:
Well other than the LIFETIME service that sounds about normal. The Retailer must be paying for the DVR fee for the first 10 months.

I would really recommend that you make sure the channels you want are on the basic 60. Alot of people are brought in by the price of the basic 60 than realize later that it does not have the channels they want. Other than that it is a pretty good deal for low price TV.

Yeah, the lifetime service sounds pretty nice, I'll have to really read the fine print to verify but I spoke to a rep and he confirmed it.

I do realize the basic 60 is a bit bare but the only channel I would really miss is animal planet. I've gone through and compared the packages.

I suppose at the very least if I dont decide to go with Dish is I could see if Time Warner decides to counter offer.

I just signed up for dishtv for 19.99 a month,but i am taking the sports package for another $5 a month for $24.99 a month,,,,Don't forget you can get the HD programing free for the first 6 months and $9.99 after that if you still want it.
Not a bad deal,,,,not many sports at all but when i give them my NYC address next month i will be getting MSG ,NY sportschannel and hope a few more,and thE Locals Go Jetssssss.
Try it for a year whats $300,But they are not giving us Fox News or MSNBC,,,Thats why i have a 10 foor C/KU band dish also....Johnny

I'm thinking about getting dish network. I currently have 70 channel basic cable through Time Warner. I pay about $38 a month for it. I'm currently on a 3 year promotion for it, last year it was about $30, it went up $8 this year and next year it goes up another $8 and then it will be normal price (about $55)

Are you nuts!? I'll take that offer for 3 years anyday!

They also said I can get the 522 DVR and the DVR fee is waived for the first 10 months. They also give lifetime service so if there are any problems there is no charges for service calls. There is a 12 month contract with this. I'd also get HBO and Showtime free for 3 months.

That's cool and DVR is great!!!

Does this sound like a pretty decent offer?

It depends. I first went to DBS to save money over cable but with all they offered I ended up spending a lot more for DBS and got more as well but digital cable closed the gap. I then went back to cable to save money on a promotion then the bug hit me in the butt again and now I pay more but get more with the NFL Network, ESPN-U and others along with high-speed internet.

I do realize the basic 60 is a bit bare but the only channel I would really miss is animal planet. I've gone through and compared the packages.

Yes it's very bare and with cable you now have a good price and can use "unlimited" TVs at no extra charge. I would recommend staying with cable unless DBS had something cable doesn’t offer which is not the case since you’re looking at the Top 60 or if cable’s service is not acceptable which doesn’t seem to be the case either. I would stay with cable for the 3 years then reconsider; especially if you’ll miss AP. With cable you're getting a good price with AP not to mention you'll have service on all your TVs.

When i had cable i was getting charged $41 a month then with the HBO add another $15 and i wanted the Hallmark channel well that went up to Basic Plus Digital and with HBO i was paying $76 a a month But i also wanted HD programing add another $10 too $86.00 a month,,,But i really wanted all the good HD stations and not the Basic HD stations so add another $10 tooooo $96 a month.....
Aftera week i canceled my programming and got a 10 foot dish and pick my own programing for a lot less money.
Only reason I have Dishtv is for my Locals that I want in L.A> and NYC and at the price they are charging you cannot beat it with a stick...Johnny

Ok i priced it out.........
$81 a month or $972 a year WITHOUT HBO
I get my locals Fox among all the other channels
PLUS i get ESPNHD,DiscoveryHD HINETHD all the stuff dish has....
And i am only paying $30 a year with dish with the $19.99 special that they have for the year...Johnny

HD MLB EI available (FSN HD) Now

OTA Program Guide Works on my 811 !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)