Thinking about going to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

larryah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Bartlesville,OK
I am seriously considering going to DirecTV from CableOne, mostly because of cost, but keep reading horror stories on the net from dissatisfied customers, and its poor BBB rating (F). Have had Dish in the past, but will not deal with them again because they tried to cheat me after six years of service. I had no problem with satellite tv, just Dish. I need to hear some good things about DirectTV! (if there are any)

I am seriously considering going to DirecTV from CableOne, mostly because of cost, but keep reading horror stories on the net from dissatisfied customers, and its poor BBB rating (F). Have had Dish in the past, but will not deal with them again because they tried to cheat me after six years of service. I had no problem with satellite tv, just Dish. I need to hear some good things about DirectTV! (if there are any)

Welcome to the board :)

Everyone's experience with providers will differ, but I've been a DirecTV subs since '99 with no major issues. I've not had problems with CRS's to speak of over the years. I'm on autopay with no problems.

I guess the question I'd ask would be one's preference with programming choice, sports, movies, etc.

If it's sports, DirecTV wins this category. There are other providers that are the frontrunner in movie channel total #'s but since DirecTV has recently lit up a new bird and is adding HD channels in the coming months, that is something to consider as well.

I don't have MRV or the new HR24 Receiver but many on this forum do, and can better communicate those features.

Welcome to the site !

Larry,
There's a reason why you see posts about dissatisfied subs.
Those are the ones that want/need to speak out.

The overwhelming number of satisfied subs have nothing to complain about because things went the way they expected, most don't post about the good stuff ....

I've been here for 5-6 years now and have had very few issues.

Well hello Cableone user. lol
I had cableone in Joplin, subsidized cause the landlord paid for basic cable.

When i moved into this house, I went with D* cause E* wanted me to buy my own equipment. I have not had any horror stories. Everything has went flawless.

*BTW my internet is still provided by Cableone. I dont have any issues with them other than there cost of digital cable.

I have been with E* for several years, recently moved, and I took them with me, Now my commitment (After moving) is up July 19th so I want to switch to D*

Costs have always been an issue with me. E* keeps adding fees and telling me that D* is doing the same, but even higher charges are coming from D* according to them.

Is this true? Compare company's rates, who is cheaper?

I have 5 TV's hooked up, used to be only one HD. but now I have 3, I'm willing to drop down to just two HD receivers and 3 SD's so I can get the HD DVR and HD Receiver free with the current promotion. I had the Dish 250 pack plus the multi sport and a few other extra's that they charged me for. I looked on D* web site and for what E* was charging me $120.00 a month for, I can get D* for under $100.00 are there any "EXTRA" fees? Like $6.00 per receiver that is NOT hooked up to a phone line? (No home phone, only Cell phones)
Any surcharges or government compliance charges? is it just my tax rate times the Monthly fee?

I have been with E* for several years, recently moved, and I took them with me, Now my commitment (After moving) is up July 19th so I want to switch to D*

Costs have always been an issue with me. E* keeps adding fees and telling me that D* is doing the same, but even higher charges are coming from D* according to them.

Is this true? Compare company's rates, who is cheaper?

I have 5 TV's hooked up, used to be only one HD. but now I have 3, I'm willing to drop down to just two HD receivers and 3 SD's so I can get the HD DVR and HD Receiver free with the current promotion. I had the Dish 250 pack plus the multi sport and a few other extra's that they charged me for. I looked on D* web site and for what E* was charging me $120.00 a month for, I can get D* for under $100.00 are there any "EXTRA" fees? Like $6.00 per receiver that is NOT hooked up to a phone line? (No home phone, only Cell phones)
Any surcharges or government compliance charges? is it just my tax rate times the Monthly fee?

No phone line charge with D*.
A once DVR fee for ALL DVR's on the account instead of a fee for EACH DVR like DISH was doing (or is doing?) .

With the one fee for the DVR's I have changed my recvrs around and have all DVR's now.

Each addl. recvr past the original one is $ 5, unlike the 14-17 DISH is charging, btw, my cable company charges about the same as dish does.

Welcome to the board!

I've been a D* sub since 1997 with a serious case of upgraditis over that period of time.

I can honestly tell you that I have not had a "bad" experience with them. I'm not a "fanboy" just my honest opinion.

Over that time I've had a couple STB's fail, LNB's fill up with water and short out, LNB and a couple STB's fried by a nearby lighting strike, numerous dish and STB upgrades all issues were handled fairly and professionally each time to my complete satisfaction.

Forums such as these tend to focus on complaints rather than on satisfied customers. The internet is a great place for people to complain behind their keyboards.

Unfortunately in a few months my living situation will be changing and I have to go kicking and screaming to the dark side (TWC)
Just my $.02 worth.

I like the DVR for the whole house idea, I can get a HD DVR for my Man cave, and another HD receiver for the living room, then 3 other SD receivers for the kids room etc.
The DVR recordings won't play on those SD receivers though right?

It looks like a no-brainer right now to switch in my opinion.
But I don't know if there are any other issues I need to ask about.
I have a friend who says the only reason he stays with D* is because of Sunday Ticket, otherwise they are too expensive......I don't see that right now.
I'm not interested in Sunday Ticket, I'm a College football fan, so Big Ten Network in HD with alternates are top of my list.
I also love College Hockey (Have a player at Minnesota and Mich. State)
Is D* my answer?

I like the DVR for the whole house idea, I can get a HD DVR for my Man cave, and another HD receiver for the living room, then 3 other SD receivers for the kids room etc.
The DVR recordings won't play on those SD receivers though right?

It looks like a no-brainer right now to switch in my opinion.
But I don't know if there are any other issues I need to ask about.
I have a friend who says the only reason he stays with D* is because of Sunday Ticket, otherwise they are too expensive......I don't see that right now.
I'm not interested in Sunday Ticket, I'm a College football fan, so Big Ten Network in HD with alternates are top of my list.
I also love College Hockey (Have a player at Minnesota and Mich. State)
Is D* my answer?

Is D* your answer, sounds like your making it your answer.
The way I look at it is, if they provide the programming you want as the best way to look at it.

As for pricing, many say it's way to expensive, but others say Cable is way to expensive, so it really comes down to what you want programming wise and what you can reasonably afford.

It is imperative that you see what pricing and fees are TODAY as opposed to the recollections of years gone by. DIRECTV used to be relatively safe from fees but the basic prices were higher. Now they've discovered the joy of fees.

Ya, I just noticed that there is a one time fee of $50.00 to add a tuner for an off-air antenna to a D* receiver.
E* has tuners built into their HD DVR's already, there was no extra charge for hooking up an off-air antenna. (Since E* has my locals in HD now) D* does not offer my locals at all SD or HD. (Sioux City, Ia DMA) I have a powered antenna, so I pointed my antenna to Sioux Falls, SD to get their locals too, with my Sioux City locals coming from E*

I appreciate all comments, but remember Im new here. I assume D* is DirecTV, but cant figure out what E* is. Also, should I insist on the new HR24 DVR and the slimline dish if I sign up?

I appreciate all comments, but remember Im new here. I assume D* is DirecTV, but cant figure out what E* is. Also, should I insist on the new HR24 DVR and the slimline dish if I sign up?

Honestly, You will get what the installer has on the truck as far as DVR's. The CSR's cannot guarantee what unit you will get. Some area's are installing only HR24's for new customers.

As far at the dish, don't worry about that. You'll get the slimline. I'm not an expert on this but I believe that's all they are installing today.

If I'm wrong someone will chime in.

i had no trouble with dish but i change ouer to direc so i could get mlb channel and my local in hd.I have auto pay set up.

Thanks for the info. If I do this I will get D* through a local dealer outlet. Would my chances to get the equipment I want increase doing this? And can I count on them after installation for help?

Ya, I just noticed that there is a one time fee of $50.00 to add a tuner for an off-air antenna to a D* receiver.
E* has tuners built into their HD DVR's already, there was no extra charge for hooking up an off-air antenna. (Since E* has my locals in HD now) D* does not offer my locals at all SD or HD. (Sioux City, Ia DMA) I have a powered antenna, so I pointed my antenna to Sioux Falls, SD to get their locals too, with my Sioux City locals coming from E*

Not anymore. It's $50 for the OTA module for E* also. However, you can record 4 programs at once (2 sat, 2 OTA).

I recently, yesterday, switched from E* to D* after 12 years. So far so good. MRV is great. I do like the E* interface better, but I'll get used to it. PQ with D* is better. My bill for the next two years, never reaches what I was paying with E* for comparable programming and equipment, even with adjustments.

S~

I was told by my installer yesterday, with MRV hookups they are only doing 24 series. I was going to turn them away with anything else.

S~

Thanks for the info. If I do this I will get D* through a local dealer outlet. Would my chances to get the equipment I want increase doing this? And can I count on them after installation for help?

Thats between you and the local installer.
Might want to check on that stuff ahead of time.

Thanks for the input everyone. The local D* outlet is a TV shop that has been in business here for years, and has good reputation. I think they will work with me. If not, Ill stay with cable....I wont start out with outdated equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts