thinking about my next mac... looking at the mac book air

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, hopefully it will work out better. My experience with laptops is that anything other than the native resolution, just isn't as clear or good. I tried running a different resolution on my Dell, but the next one down just didn't look as good (1920x1200 to 1680x1050: 15"). I've seen the same on my MBP, the native resolution just looks best.

It will be fine. and I suspect I'll run it native. The problem is the screen ont he 11 inch model is just too small.

This is alike deja vu... waiting for the UPS truck to deliver the computer. :D (And to pick up the original one! So I can get my money back! :) )

New air arrived. Already SO MUCH happier it is not even funny. This feels like a real laptop. YES, the text is a bit smaller than on the Pro, but its nothing like it was on the 11.6" model.

Now I start transferring stuff to it, again.

Anyone know if the migration assistant wipes stuff off the old machine, which I don't want to do.

There is something about the white/silver backdrop to the screen that makes the screen feel BIGGER on the Air. It may also be the higher resolution.

I am a happy camper. AND I splurged for the 256GB version, so I can not have to worry about storage of files like on the 128Gb model. I had been already thinking about spending money on a 128GB external drive, now I don't need to. :)

I ended up just installing the programs on my own. I knew the wireless sync would take awhile, and I was impatient.

I am really loving this one. Its incredibly fast. Indeed, if the macworld reviews I saw are true of benchmarks, the core-i5 model (which I have) is almost identical to the 13" macbook pro's specs. It got a 162 and the pro got a 164. Given the read/write accesses I am not surprised. Too bad they just did not put a firewire and an ethernet port in it. I can live without the optical drive. With a few more ports, it would be pretty much perfect as a primary machine.

And I also did some research and my earlier fears about using the wrong magsafe adapter were unfounded. You CAN use the 60W adapter with it, and that saves me from buying yet another power adapter.

Setup a desktop rig for the air; 24" monitor, magic trackpad, apple keyboard (actually G5 keyboard), USB hub to simplify connections to printer, optical drive, external hard drive. It works nice. And for the first time on my life, my windows rig has been delegated to a "side table" off the main work area. I setup TeamViewer so I could remote control it. I tried Logmein, but it wanted to connect over the internet even though it was on the lan, and wasted too much time trying to connect Microsoft Remote Desktop only to realize that W7HP does NOT support it! Team Viewer works nice, so if I need the PC, I have access to it, but really today was a sign that the transformation of my computing life has come full circle. Windows has been relegated to a corner. :D

And I remain amazed by the speed and quiet nature of this machine. It barely makes a hum unless the processor is taxed, and then the fan comes on. Its like the machine is completely silent otherwise. Very very nice.

Setup a desktop rig for the air; 24" monitor, magic trackpad, apple keyboard (actually G5 keyboard), USB hub to simplify connections to printer, optical drive, external hard drive. It works nice. And for the first time on my life, my windows rig has been delegated to a "side table" off the main work area. I setup TeamViewer so I could remote control it. I tried Logmein, but it wanted to connect over the internet even though it was on the lan, and wasted too much time trying to connect Microsoft Remote Desktop only to realize that W7HP does NOT support it! Team Viewer works nice, so if I need the PC, I have access to it, but really today was a sign that the transformation of my computing life has come full circle. Windows has been relegated to a corner. :D

And I remain amazed by the speed and quiet nature of this machine. It barely makes a hum unless the processor is taxed, and then the fan comes on. Its like the machine is completely silent otherwise. Very very nice.

Have you thought about using VMware or Parallels and migrating your Windows PC to a virtual machine?

Have you thought about using VMware or Parallels and migrating your Windows PC to a virtual machine?

No, no. I want the Windows machine as the primary host of all my music and video for my airplay network. I have Parallels on my mbp (it works fine, but I am not a fan of it). The Air has 256GB of storage, and the goal is to basically use the Windows machine as a media server in the house. The Team Viewer worked fine for that purpose. And I can also walk over to the table and use that machine if I need to. :)

Eventually I will strip the Windows machine down, uninstall a lot of crap, and just use it as a file archive. And use it for the few windows programs I need.

I really want to get a MBP to replace my work Lenovo Windows 7 POS. This week alone I had to reboot it forcefully 2 or 3 times. My Mac only had to be restarted once due to a system update. :)

My boss says the company won't replace it with a MBP and let me deploy my laptop to an end user, even though the Lenovo is $1600. Makes no sense.

I really want to get a MBP to replace my work Lenovo Windows 7 POS. This week alone I had to reboot it forcefully 2 or 3 times. My Mac only had to be restarted once due to a system update. :)

My boss says the company won't replace it with a MBP and let me deploy my laptop to an end user, even though the Lenovo is $1600. Makes no sense.

I am guessing your company is PC-centric. From a support and deployment standpoint I understand why ONE OS is easier to deal with.

I look forward to the day when the pro is more air like, in terms of weight and speed. Its remarkable that this machine's benchmarks are on par - or better - for most tasks than my core i7 pro.

I am guessing your company is PC-centric. From a support and deployment standpoint I understand why ONE OS is easier to deal with.

I look forward to the day when the pro is more air like, in terms of weight and speed. Its remarkable that this machine's benchmarks are on par - or better - for most tasks than my core i7 pro.

The difference is I'm in IT. My boss uses a Macbook Pro and was able to get work to pay for it as he told them he would develop for iOS. I've told them I don't mind at all supporting my own machine. I support my own machine as it is.

I would be curious how the MBP would compare to the Air if you added an SSD drive to the MBP.

By just specs it should be faster, i.e., core-i5 dual core to core-i7 dual core, with a 1 GHz increase as well (from 1.7 to 2.7Ghz), but the macworld benchmarks for SSD Air to eSATA HDD for Pro showed the late-2011 pro (which is 2.8Ghz core i7) at 164 and the 13" 1.7Ghz Air at 162. SO... if you were to replace the HDD in the Pro with the same 256GB SSD, I am guessing it would fly.

Its pretty obvious to me that the SSD makes ALL the difference, it just speeds up everything that has to do with reading and writing data. And I have no idea what else has been further optimized in the air. It just runs very fast. I need to do a test of the two machines side by side. I am also curious how the SSD impacts battery life as opposed to the SATA hard drive on the Pro.

The difference is I'm in IT. My boss uses a Macbook Pro and was able to get work to pay for it as he told them he would develop for iOS. I've told them I don't mind at all supporting my own machine. I support my own machine as it is.

So, it is do as I say, not as I do. :D

I am torn on this. Do I get a MacBook Pro now or do I save the money for something else?

No more Windows machines. I have a Windows laptop at work that sucks, and it's a sandy bridge based i5.

No more Windows machines. I have a Windows laptop at work that sucks, and it's a sandy bridge based i5.
Don't judge all windows machines based on the bad ones. Remember that Windows based computers encompasses everything from very very low end to extremely high end and powerful (better than any MAC on the market). The issue is most companies and people go inexpensive and low end giving the OS the bad rep when in reality it is the low end product that should get the bad rep.

Every PC my wife and I currently own is better than the MBP we also own, some many times better. Our MBP is many times better than every single PC I have used at work. If I based all PCs based solely on those at work, of course I will rate MACS the star of all computers. If I based them solely on the ones I own or built, then I would rate all MACS as a moderate machines.

I've been around PCs for over 20 years. I have a Vaio laptop with Windows 7. It's not just the hardware. It seems like when Microsoft comes out with a new OS they break something. How do I know? I've been in IT for over 11 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)