thinking about my next mac... looking at the mac book air

I thought the sound of the trigger was 'CLICK'? ;) :D

You'll have fun with it Doc Roc!

After the click I guess. :) And given that my wife just got her new car this week, which cost a helluva lot more than the Air, she just smiled when I said I decided I was ordering it today. :D

That's awesome, looks like a nice laptop. I'd love an Air, tempted to sell the iPad 2 to go towards something like that or to my Celestron 8SE fund. With the Nexus I'm not using the iPad for smaller browsing things anymore, but I'd get use out of a small laptop, otherwise the next step up would be a small gaming laptop.

I use a MBP at work along with the rest of the tech team for the most part.

That's awesome, looks like a nice laptop. I'd love an Air, tempted to sell the iPad 2 to go towards something like that or to my Celestron 8SE fund. With the Nexus I'm not using the iPad for smaller browsing things anymore, but I'd get use out of a small laptop, otherwise the next step up would be a small gaming laptop.

I use a MBP at work along with the rest of the tech team for the most part.

Yeah, I am excited. It shipped already and is only a few hours away. :) (Not that I am checking the tracking status ;) )

My first post from the air. The thing is remarkably light, when I go back and forth to it from the pro, its like a different world. The small screen takes some getting used to, but I know I picked the right one. I think the full screen mode in Lion will be essential with this. Using Safari in full screen right now, and it makes it easier on my eyes.

I need to do a super duper clone once I get a few more apps installed.

My first post from the air. The thing is remarkably light, when I go back and forth to it from the pro, its like a different world. The small screen takes some getting used to, but I know I picked the right one. I think the full screen mode in Lion will be essential with this. Using Safari in full screen right now, and it makes it easier on my eyes.

I see a rocky skipping back from the front door grasping feverishly at his box cutter drooling all over the box...

I see a rocky skipping back from the front door grasping feverishly at his box cutter drooling all over the box...

LOL

I am on the pro right now, the air is syncing part of my dropbox. I am struggling a bit with the smaller screen, oh, its fine, and will work great for when I am on the road traveling, but I can see why the extra money on the 13" screen might have been worth while. Irrelevant now. Once I setup my home office, it will be moot, as I will have the 24" monitor and it will work great.

THe machine runs very well, I am sorting out the best way to use it, how much of my stuff from the pro NEEDS to be on it, and such. For example, I am not bothering installing SPSS on it -- I'll do statistical analysis on the pro, which only makes sense. I did put iWorks and Office 2011 on it (although I pared down on the Office install, no Outlook, no Communicator, just Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. I think will also skip Adobe CS5; just don't need to run photoshop on this; the pro will do a better job.

So far I am impressed with the machine. And as I suspected, today has been a wasted day. Haven't gotten any work done since it arrived :)

got my dropbox synced, and pretty much all the programs I need installed. Sitting at 78GB of free space. Will tweak my dropbox and thus clear up even more space, but so far I'd say this machine runes on par with the pro for daily tasks.

For whatever reason I did not bother installing Chrome, and am just using safari.

Yeah, I may swap away from Firefox myself. I'm not a fan of their quick versioning, and my Firefox on my work Windows 7 laptop keeps crashing randomly.

I still want to get me a Macbook Pro to replace my work laptop and our home laptop, but we have other things we need to do first. :(

Which is why I can never use anything less than a 16" display

Well, I am perfectly content with the text on a 13" mbp; and I have already tweaked most of the settings so the fonts are a bit bigger, and it has made using it much easier. Plus, a lot of time, it will be connected to a 24" monitor.

Glad to see you're enjoying your new toy!! A man can never have too many of those!! :)

As to the browser, well I've fiddled with about all of them out there and in the end, I stuck with Safari even when I'm on my W7 laptop. It is more than good enough, imo.

Later I am going to do some side-by-side video tests. After a fresh reboot, to see what load times are and comparison of doing different tasks simultaneously. I suspect there will be a blog post out of that. :)

One complaint -- I have my pro and air next to each other. one has 45W power, the other 65; they have the stinking exact same maglock connector. I have to use a permanent marker on one of them, so I don't end up screwing up and connecting the wrong one.

Got the dual display setup with a magic trackpad, for the time being a Microsoft keyboard (I ordered one of those old white G5 keyboards; I am not a fan of the new Apple Keyboards). I need to do some cleaning and tweaking to setup a dual system, since for the time being I am going to keep the Dell machine; it has the ability to burn blu-rays and such, but its nice running this on a 24" monitor.

Alas, the costs keep racking up, second magic trackpad for home (the one I am using is from my work setup), mini-display port to DVI adapter, keyboard, kvm setup, mini-displayport to via for projectors at school, sleeve to hold the air in, and on and on... :)

Well, as I said, a small part of me wishes I went for the larger screen, but since I already have a 13" pro, I get the best of all worlds, and in the office setting I love the 24" display. And when I travel, the air will be a beautiful thing.

If you aren't using the air display at the same time as the external display, Twelve South makes the Book Arc for clamshell operation.

A little pricey but nice.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

If you aren't using the air display at the same time as the external display, Twelve South makes the Book Arc for clamshell operation.

A little pricey but nice.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I have the air display closed when I use the 24" monitor. My home office space just isn't conducive in terms of space for the two displays, and the 11.6" screen does not add that much when the main one is so big. I have a good stand for my mac book pro, but even with that I rarely use the second display.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)