thinking about my next mac... looking at the mac book air

If you get any of the Macs with G4 or G5 chips in them, you won't be compatible with much of the newer software and OS versions. If it were me, I would look at something much newer with Intel CPUs in them. You'll spend more money for sure, but I think you'll be much happier.

The PowerPCs that came before the Intel changeover were plenty powerful enough in their day, but that day is long past.

Thats what I was afraid of. Incompatability, I wondered why the G4 17" laps were so cheap. Glad I asked, no shame in askin questions. Assume will make an ass out of u and me...

ALOT of charger issues and hinge problems from the constant movement and use. Right now my netbook has its charger hard wired to the inside and the power button is just two wires sticking out of the hole where the button used to be haha. Kids don't use it but they still find ways to abuse it.

I have also had a lot of charger issues and that is one of the things I love about my MacBook. It has a magnetic plug so if the cord getts pulled a little the magnet just releases. No more worry about the connector in the laptop going bad.

I have also had a lot of charger issues and that is one of the things I love about my MacBook. It has a magnetic plug so if the cord getts pulled a little the magnet just releases. No more worry about the connector in the laptop going bad.

Now that is a good idea, just like a deep fryer.. I like it.... That is one of the biggest problems I have had with my laptops, with three kids even tho they aren't allowed to touch it they always find a way to destroy the charger port... Lovely

Not sure if this has been stated either but the nice thing about Macs is how long they last in regards to performance. I have a 2008 model and it runs just as fast today as it did when I purchased it. I have been getting the bug to upgrade but have not yet as there is nothing that my current model won't do. I don't think I have ever had a Windows machine last this long without really getting the upgrade bug because of performance issues.

I had to do surgery on my Toshiba, as I broke the charger, on the mac, not an issue. Love the maglock power!!

I had heard that viruses were very uncommon on a Linux based system, I did not know however that the mac os was based on the linux structure.

Technically, OS X is BSD based. BSD, Linux and Unix are very similar, but most of the differences are in licensing. You can take any BSD code, and as long as you keep the copyrights intact, you can incorporate it into a commercial product. Which is how Apple gets away with taking an open source OS and creating a commercial product with it. Had they started with Linux, it wouldn't be allowed to be done. They would have been required to open source everything they added to it.

Ill tell you what, this is the first time I have actually looked into any Apple computers and from what I see they make my beloved Dell cpu's look like commodore 64s... Its like they listened to all the problems I have had over the years with my lappy's and figured out how to fix it. One piece lower case made of a solid chunk of aluminum, the magnetic power line, It just looks like it is actually worth good $$. Thanks for the info, glad I asked youns about them cuz I was definitely missing out on a good thing. Just cant wait till the taxes come in and I get my hands on even a used one. Ill throw this garbage netbook out the window haha.

Last edited:
You will not be disappointed. As far as the Intel CPU PC vs Mac debate, it is all in the OS. The CPU is the same as you will see in a Windows laptop/desktop. In fact, that's why Bootcamp works so well.

The main thing with Apple that people dog it so is due to how proprietary they are. But that is also why they make a good machine too. They build it using parts they specify and it just works.

You will not be disappointed. As far as the Intel CPU PC vs Mac debate, it is all in the OS. The CPU is the same as you will see in a Windows laptop/desktop. In fact, that's why Bootcamp works so well.

The main thing with Apple that people dog it so is due to how proprietary they are. But that is also why they make a good machine too. They build it using parts they specify and it just works.

Completely agree. I would point out that I'm not a big fan of Bootcamp. If I wanted to use my machine for PC gaming, then I would be. I prefer the VM method (Parallels at the moment). That way, I don't have to dedicate my disk space for Windows. I can remove the VM if I need more space, and after a while, I just find that I don't need to use the Windows side much anyways.

Completely agree. I would point out that I'm not a big fan of Bootcamp. If I wanted to use my machine for PC gaming, then I would be. I prefer the VM method (Parallels at the moment). That way, I don't have to dedicate my disk space for Windows. I can remove the VM if I need more space, and after a while, I just find that I don't need to use the Windows side much anyways.

Never tried bootcamp myself. I have Parallels on my mbp, but will not bother with it on the mba. Just don't need it. I have two programs I occasionally use that is Windows-only, and I can use it on my Dell desktop if I need to.

When I was married a big smooch and a pat on the butt would sometimes work. Well, that and the new couch! :)

She knows I am doing this, and as long as there is money to pay for it, it will be fine. But still, gotta make sure all is good before hitting order. Its in the cart in Amazon (yeah, I opted for the new one; I have about $225 in trade-in credit in my account, so that makes my out of pocket only $925. :)

I don't have anything Windows on my Mac Mini at home. If I want to use Windows for anything I'll just go run into a speeding car. :)

Nah, we have a laptop at home that has Windows 7 on it and I have my work laptop.

I have a 27" iMac that is for my sole use, and a Mac Mini (1st gen Intel) that the GF uses.

I also have an el-cheapo W7 laptop I use for the rare trip and to run Playon/Playlater for some of my IPTV stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts