thinking about my next mac... looking at the mac book air

I think you'll find that the Blu-ray drive will work without much effort as a storage device. It won't play Blu-ray discs though if what I've read is correct.

As an FYI, OWC announced drop-in replacement SSDs for the airs from 120 to 480GB in capacity. Their stuff is never cheap, but it's in the M-SATA form, which basically looks like a DIMM with SATA connectors on the end.

Im sure others will follow, but thought I would pass this along.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

As an FYI, OWC announced drop-in replacement SSDs for the airs from 120 to 480GB in capacity. Their stuff is never cheap, but it's in the M-SATA form, which basically looks like a DIMM with SATA connectors on the end.

Im sure others will follow, but thought I would pass this along.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

That would be nice. And heck, a 480Gb SSD would be even better on my pro. :) But I can only imagine the price!!

Six days in, I am finding lots of frustration with the small size screen. My eyes just do not like the default small text, and my back/neck is finding (as John Kotches actually warned about), the positioning of the laptop to give me kiniptions.

I contacted Amazon; I can return it. And I decided I will upgrade to the 13" model. Now of course my brain goes through the "is it worth just getting a pro instead for the price differential. Sigh. :D

When I had my 11" Air, I noticed quickly that the tiny fonts with that small screen and my eyes just weren't made for each other. Couple that with no actual need for a laptop and certainly not a relatively expensive one and I decided to sell it after a few months. Recovered nearly all that I paid for it.

Hopefully the 13" will be more to your eye's liking! :)

Rocky,

I'm old and have to worry about that kind of stuff too ;)

I think the 13" systems are the best balance between portability, usability and ergonomics in my experience.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Rocky,

I'm old and have to worry about that kind of stuff too ;)

I think the 13" systems are the best balance between portability, usability and ergonomics in my experience.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Yeah, its tough getting old :)

I agree. 13" is a great balance on all three points.

I would look at the Macbook Pro if you're going the 13" route. The only advantage the Air has is the SSD drive, but you can get one of those for a reasonable price.

I would look at the Macbook Pro if you're going the 13" route. The only advantage the Air has is the SSD drive, but you can get one of those for a reasonable price.

The advantage is weight, speed, and portability. I have a 13" pro through work. I am thinking about the ability to have a machine that is almost just as fast, but 45% lighter when traveling.

To replace the HDD with a SSD is not cheap.

I feel like I am going through deja vu, with the arguments I had in my head a week ago. I swear if the screen size was more readable on the 11.6" model, I would be totally happy - well, that and if my stinking back was less finicky. :)

Six days in, I am finding lots of frustration with the small size screen. My eyes just do not like the default small text, and my back/neck is finding (as John Kotches actually warned about), the positioning of the laptop to give me kiniptions.

I contacted Amazon; I can return it. And I decided I will upgrade to the 13" model. Now of course my brain goes through the "is it worth just getting a pro instead for the price differential. Sigh. :D

Hmm, makes me wonder if you'll have the same problem on the 13". The screen resolution on the MBA is 1440x900. The 13" MBP screen resolution is 1280x800

Hmm, makes me wonder if you'll have the same problem on the 13". The screen resolution on the MBA is 1440x900. The 13" MBP screen resolution is 1280x800

Nah, I don't think so. It can run at 1280 x 800 if I want to. And its a LOT bigger than the 11 inch one. It is surprising that the two run at different resolutions though. And a big part of my problem is how conditioned my neck is to the size of the screen of the pro, and the difference with the 11.6" model messed me up a bit too much. The more similar form factor of the 13 would minimize that.

Nah, I don't think so. It can run at 1280 x 800 if I want to. And its a LOT bigger than the 11 inch one. It is surprising that the two run at different resolutions though. And a big part of my problem is how conditioned my neck is to the size of the screen of the pro, and the difference with the 11.6" model messed me up a bit too much. The more similar form factor of the 13 would minimize that.

Well, hopefully it will work out better. My experience with laptops is that anything other than the native resolution, just isn't as clear or good. I tried running a different resolution on my Dell, but the next one down just didn't look as good (1920x1200 to 1680x1050: 15"). I've seen the same on my MBP, the native resolution just looks best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)