Thinking about switching from Comcast to DIRECTV Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

avsfan273

Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I am thinking about switching from Comcast to DIRECTV but I had some questions before I made the jump. I have looked at some of the FAQ's on these forums and had a few more questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Are reception problems a thing of the past? I have people who used to have dish telling me not to get it because they always had problems with snow, heat, etc.

2. My house is currently wired for cable and all the cables (RG-6) run into my basement where they go into a switch which connects to Comcast. Will DIRECTV be able to use all the existing cables?

3. For the HD + DVR boxes do they require 1 or 2 cables from the dish to be able to use both tuners at once?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The reception thing has never really been a problem for me. I only lose signal in the worst thunderstorms, and then only for a short period of time

It is possible if it is already rg6, however they may want to run their own, I guess it will depend on who installs.

There is a one wire solution now, however I am not sure if you are in one of the areas that it is released in.

Thanks for the quick reply. As far as using the existing rg6, is there a way to talk to the installer that they send out before I order to see if they can do it. I am renting my house so I would like to keep the install as simple as possible. Also, how would I find out if I am in an area that has the one wire solution. I live in Northern Colorado if that helps at all.

Thanks again.

1. Are reception problems a thing of the past? I have people who used to have dish telling me not to get it because they always had problems with snow, heat, etc.
How consistent your signal is will depend on what the weather is like in your area.
2. My house is currently wired for cable and all the cables (RG-6) run into my basement where they go into a switch which connects to Comcast. Will DIRECTV be able to use all the existing cables?
They will be able to use them but again, depending on where you live, they may need to run additional cables.
3. For the HD + DVR boxes do they require 1 or 2 cables from the dish to be able to use both tuners at once?
They have a single cable solution, but it is not available for new installs in all markets yet. Note that in order to use the single cable system, all receivers must be the newer DIRECTV branded models. That's what they will give you any way, but if you had your heart set on buying your own receivers, you need to understand this.

1) SS fade is not as bad as some would make it out to be. I lose mine for 5-10 minutes maybe twice a month during evening viewing. It has to be VERY thick clouds and it only lasts a short time.

2) Harshness is right, they'll need to see you current setup, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

3) I have a new HDDVR and bought the SWM-8 for $150 shipped. Used it to run one cable inside and to the tuner, which is great. On a normal install, you are most likely going to get the two wires.

I just switched from comcast a few weeks ago. They had to use two wires for my hd-dvr. My reception has been ehh OK so far, a few times it will pixel out briefly. During one 'storm' (well not really a storm, just a storm approaching from the direction the dish points) we lost it for 5-10 minutes. That being said, comcast was awful. HD channels pixeled out on a daily basis, the dvr was laggy and horrible, not to mention geniune full fledged comcast downtime, of which there was plenty.

The guy will work with you on the install as far as your wires go, just be sure you are there to meet him and if you're unsatisfied with the solution(s) he comes up with you can always refuse installation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there, but I don't think I am.

Take the plunge, you'll enjoy your TV much more imho!

Good Luck!

I ended up ordering DIRECTV this afternoon and got installation setup for Saturday so I will find out soon enough. Will DIRECTV give you the contact info for the installer they plan on sending out if you call them up?

If you have concerns about the scheduling, you can call D* and they will contact the installation company while you are on the phone. They may give you the direct contact number, but they will at least work with you on any concerns and get the installation company involved if necessary.

They guy should call you that morning, then you'll have his cell on callerid

Like I said, I suggest that when the guy gets there that you go outside with him and put a gameplan together. Where the dish will go, wiring plans etc. And don't be afraid to be firm (but polite) with him. Everything they do requires your approval.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)