Thinking about switching to D*....a few questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GATownsend

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Hi folks,

I was a D* customer for over 9 years, but after the last price increase my local phone company offered a great bundle deal to switch to E* (including a DVR, which I had been wanting), so I went ahead and cancelled about 20 months ago. Well, E* has really got me steamed right now (read my rant here if you're bored: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...xpects-me-wait-until-10-30pm-tech-arrive.html), and I've gotten a few letters from D* lately trying to woo me back. When with them before I just had two Sony SAT-B3's, but I'd be getting an SD DVR and had a few questions for the seasoned vets:

1. What is the model # of the current SD DVR I'd get? Does anyone have a link to a user's manual I could look over?

2. Any easy way to get stuff off of the DVR to your computer? I'm interested in burning copies to DVDs to have around when the drive gets full on the DVR (I'm guessing no, but maybe I'll be surprised).

3. If I get one or two DVRs, could I still use one of my old Sony SAT-B3's on my tv in the basement?

One thing the wife and I love about E*, is the fact that what's on the DVR can be watched on TV2. This has been a great feature when a kid is sick and we can plop them in our bed and run their favorite shows or movies for them in our room. I understand D* doesn't have a DVR that does that. :( Wife is so mad at E* right now she probably won't care though.

Any other things I should watch out for or know before I take the plunge? HD isn't in my near future, so I don't care too much about that right now, but can you get HD on one TV and get SD on the others without anything other than an HD receiver for the one TV?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Hi folks,

I was a D* customer for over 9 years, but after the last price increase my local phone company offered a great bundle deal to switch to E* (including a DVR, which I had been wanting), so I went ahead and cancelled about 20 months ago. Well, E* has really got me steamed right now (read my rant here if you're bored: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...xpects-me-wait-until-10-30pm-tech-arrive.html), and I've gotten a few letters from D* lately trying to woo me back.

I read your rant. Dang. sorry for the headache, I know all about kids and their needed sleep!! I can't believe someone would send out an employee at 10:30.

1. What is the model # of the current SD DVR I'd get? Does anyone have a link to a user's manual I could look over?
Here is a link to the HD-DVR. I would suggest upgrading to it, regardless if you have an HDTV. You may get one in the future, and it will save you some more headaches from upgrading. They should throw it in for free, depending on who you talk to. http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/060508HR20UserGuidev1_0b.pdf

2. Any easy way to get stuff off of the DVR to your computer? I'm interested in burning copies to DVDs to have around when the drive gets full on the DVR (I'm guessing no, but maybe I'll be surprised).
Heard of it being done, yet

3. If I get one or two DVRs, could I still use one of my old Sony SAT-B3's on my tv in the basement?

One thing the wife and I love about E*, is the fact that what's on the DVR can be watched on TV2. This has been a great feature when a kid is sick and we can plop them in our bed and run their favorite shows or movies for them in our room. I understand D* doesn't have a DVR that does that. :( Wife is so mad at E* right now she probably won't care though.

Any other things I should watch out for or know before I take the plunge? HD isn't in my near future, so I don't care too much about that right now, but can you get HD on one TV and get SD on the others without anything other than an HD receiver for the one TV?

I don't know about the Sony. With D* you need one receiver per TV. Whether it's HD or not, but you can get SD with the HD receiver. I have a buddy who has dish, and I was shocked at the receiver setup - the menu's, the multiple TV's - I got really jealous, but that was the only thing I liked about them.

Hopefully this helps. Others are much more knowledgeable so you may get better aswers. Call D* and don't quit till you get it all and more!! There's plenty of time to pay them back!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)