Thinking about switching to DIrectTv but not for the reason most people are....

insul1n

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
South Georgia
I was looking at the DirectTv Genie and was pretty impressed that they have something comparable to the Hopper. Direct has never had my locals until recently and I am pretty happy with Dish, minus not having AMC but I got the Roku from them and lots of credits. My thing is, that I can switch to DirectTv and because of the promotional pricing save $40 a month for the first year and around $20 for the second. After that it will go up more than I pay with Dish but I can always switch back after the 2nyear agreement is up. It won't cost me anything out of pocket to switch to DirectTv and I am not under contract with Dish. I have been with Dish for 7 years and have been happy but at $40 a month, I could save $480 the first year and $240 the second. I am missing something? Just want to get some meaningful opinions before making the switch?

Josh

Are you using an ehd? If so switching and canceling Dish, you will loose all your recordings. The ehd is tied to the account. Coming back in 2 years will be with a different account.

No ehd so worries there. Right now I can get the Genie for free and that will cover the same TVs I am with the hopper, the main TV and 3 other rooms plus Ill get 2 extra tuners over the Hopper. I don't use PTAT so that doesn't really matter to me.

Then your only decision is whether you want to put up with the learning curve (DVR commands, channel numbers) with Directv. Too much in savings to walk away from.

if your honestly happy, dont let money be the deciding factor
unless your looking for a reason to switch.

i personally do not like the concept of the tunerless c31 or joey and would opt for an h24 or h25 if its feasable

No ehd so worries there. Right now I can get the Genie for free and that will cover the same TVs I am with the hopper, the main TV and 3 other rooms plus Ill get 2 extra tuners over the Hopper. I don't use PTAT so that doesn't really matter to me.

If you weren't chasing promotions and worried about costs, i'd suggest 2 Hoppers with 2 Joeys. That would give you a total of six tuners for only $100 more. Then you would have one more tuner than the DirecTV system.

I had been thinking about getting another Hopper but that will make my bill go up more with the extra fee. The Hopper and Genie seem pretty comparable. I'm not looking for a reason to switch, Dish has given us plenty of reason in the past but I stuck around. I only went to the DirectTv website to read more about the Genie. Not because I was interested in switching but because I am a techie so any new technology interests me. I was just shocked at how much money I could save the first year and then the second. I like Dish and have stood by Dish for 7 years, but $40 a month is just so much money. My wife and I keep going back and forth and just can't seem to make our minds up. Plus I got to look at the money I will spend using the Roku to watch Walking Dead and the fact that my Dish bill will go up another $10 once my yearly credit goes away. That would make my 2nd year with DirectTv $30 cheaper and not $20 like I originally thought. I was really wanting to hear from some people that recently switched from Dish to Direct.

I had been thinking about getting another Hopper but that will make my bill go up more with the extra fee.
Do you only have 1 TV?

I was under the impression that you would have a few TVs. The monthly cost between a second Hopper vs Joey are the same. The only difference is the $100 they charge during installation for that second hopper.

If someone is offering me the programming I want and reliable hardware for less, i'd switch too. (or at least let Dish retentions convince me to stay with some sort of competing offer)

I had been thinking about getting another Hopper but that will make my bill go up more with the extra fee. The Hopper and Genie seem pretty comparable. I'm not looking for a reason to switch, Dish has given us plenty of reason in the past but I stuck around. I only went to the DirectTv website to read more about the Genie. Not because I was interested in switching but because I am a techie so any new technology interests me. I was just shocked at how much money I could save the first year and then the second. I like Dish and have stood by Dish for 7 years, but $40 a month is just so much money. My wife and I keep going back and forth and just can't seem to make our minds up. Plus I got to look at the money I will spend using the Roku to watch Walking Dead and the fact that my Dish bill will go up another $10 once my yearly credit goes away. That would make my 2nd year with DirectTv $30 cheaper and not $20 like I originally thought. I was really wanting to hear from some people that recently switched from Dish to Direct.

once you switch you will wonder what took you so long to make the move.
honestly it was the best thing i did, heck i even signed up for another 2 years :)

I switched back in March (after about 8 years with Dish) for pretty much the same reason (cost savings over 2 years). I have to say the DirecTV hardware is a bit slower coming from a VIP722, but not unbearably slower. I'm very happy with the switch, the whole home integration is nice (can see all shows on any DVR from either DVR, and can set recording to either from the H25). I do miss the better online scheduling that Dish has with Dish Remote Access, but that's a pretty minor annoyance to me.

I got a HR34 (Genie), HR24, and a H25, and having seven tuners to record with is very handy (no more conflicts), and I agree that for me a H25 with its own tuner is better than the new C31/Joey that use a Tuner from either the Genie/Hopper. I also wanted to have redundancy so that it wouldn't be one box going down taking out TV at all locations like with a single Hopper/Joeys or Genie/C31's.

The biggest problem I had with having a h25 instead of a c31 when I was with directv is you can't pause live tv on the h25. May not be a big deal for some but it is something to be aware of.

The biggest problem I had with having a h25 instead of a c31 when I was with directv is you can't pause live tv on the h25. May not be a big deal for some but it is something to be aware of.

you sure can, just hit record first

I am shocked to hear you say it's slower than a VIP722. Mine 722 is absolutely horrible. Push a button, wait 10 seconds.

bondoo0 said:
I got a HR34 (Genie), HR24, and a H25, and having seven tuners to record with is very handy (no more conflicts), and I agree that for me a H25 with its own tuner is better than the new C31/Joey that use a Tuner from either the Genie/Hopper. I also wanted to have redundancy so that it wouldn't be one box going down taking out TV at all locations like with a single Hopper/Joeys or Genie/C31's.

That's why I got 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. 9 DVR tuners, redundancy, trick play on all TVs, more HDD space.

mdram said:
you sure can, just hit record first

Yeah but that doesn't help if you just saw something interesting that you wanted to record. With no buffer you can't rewind to capture what you just saw unless you record everything you watch. But then that would make the H25's built-in tuner pointless.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

My thing is, that I can switch to DirectTv and because of the promotional pricing save $40 a month for the first year and around $20 for the second.

Which plan is that? All I see is $30/mo in the 1st year AND $10/mo. in the 2nd year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts