State Cost Recovery Fee (TX)

kikenovic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Somewhere in time
Beginning this billing cycle I'm seeing this $0.62 "State Cost Recovery Fee" added to my bill. Anyone in TX knows what the deal is? I thought that "recovery" fee was only for cable. Is Dish properly withholding this fee?

I know Dish always collects sales tax. But I don't know what the deal is with this fee.

Thanks.

kikenovic said:
Beginning this billing cycle I'm seeing this $0.62 "State Cost Recovery Fee" added to my bill. Anyone in TX knows what the deal is? I thought that "recovery" fee was only for cable. Is Dish properly withholding this fee?

I know Dish always collects sales tax. But I don't know what the deal is with this fee.

Thanks.

It's not a tax or state fee. Dish collects to cover the higher costs of doing business in TX. In Kentucky it's $1.30.

Thanks.

Call or email your states attorney general, and ask him if it's legit for Dish to charge for this.

If you check your older bills I believe it started showing up in June bills for July.

Just another because I can fee but Charlie hasn't raised his fees like Directv.

primestar31 said:
Call or email your states attorney general, and ask him if it's legit for Dish to charge for this.

It's legit they have the right in the agreement u agreed too when you accepted the service.

It's sucks if you get hit with it but its dishes way of not having to raise prices on everyone the fact is some states it just costs more money to do business in.

It's legit they have the right in the agreement u agreed too when you accepted the service.

It's sucks if you get hit with it but its dishes way of not having to raise prices on everyone the fact is some states it just costs more money to do business in.
I guess it is time to "move" to a state that dosen't have recovery fees

When I "moved" from one state to another, just my sales taxes alone was cut in half. So be careful, you may save the 0.62 recovery fee, but your sales taxes may go up even more than that.

I guess it is time to "move" to a state that dosen't have recovery fees

LOL!!

Kentucky's fee is I think $1.30. I tired to search I could swear one state is like 3 or 4 bucks a month.

Whats the sales tax rate in TX? (KY is 6%)

When I "moved" from one state to another, just my sales taxes alone was cut in half. So be careful, you may save the 0.62 recovery fee, but your sales taxes may go up even more than that.

Wouldn't that technically constitute tax fraud (or more specifically, address fraud?)

Not that I really care, there are far worse crimes in the world, just sayin'.

Wouldn't that technically constitute tax fraud (or more specifically, address fraud?)

Not tax fraud its not a tax its service recovery fee. I just read his post wrong if he moved his service to another state to save the recovery fee you would lose your local channels.

Not tax fraud its not a tax its service recovery fee. I just read his post wrong if he moved his service to another state to save the recovery fee you would lose your local channels.

No, the recovery fee is different yes, but I was referring to tax rates changing from "moving."

LOL!!

Kentucky's fee is I think $1.30. I tired to search I could swear one state is like 3 or 4 bucks a month.

I believe it is Conn. their rate was around $4.30. This is the perfect place for Scott to chime in with the correct facts.

Not that my move was intentional to save on taxes...I just happened to notice the difference after I moved.

To those comparing state sales tax rates, it isn't as simple as that. Service taxes can be wildly different than just sales taxes on goods. Look at Florida...it has one of the highest service taxes (due to the tourism industry), which is why my taxes on my Dish service went down after my move out of Florida even though the sales tax rates between the two states are the same. There are many times different rates between communications services taxes (cell phone, cable, satellite) and regular service taxes (hotel, resort, theme parks).

EDIT: just found the definitive answer, provided it's up to date: http://www.dishretailer.com/dishstore/sales-tax.html

Last edited:
LOL!!

In Texas here, and the sales tax is 8.25%. We have no state income tax, so sales taxes, property taxes, etc are much higher here than most other states.

So this fee is a surcharge because of the higher cost of doing business somewhere? After the install or repairs what difference can it make where you are unless you live somewhere off the track as to require a special satellite? Do they offer discounts to customers who live in cheaper than average areas? I don’t think so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)