Thinking about upgrading receiver

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
Currently I have a Yamaha - HTR 5960 receiver. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer Plasma tv with a panny 55k blu ray player. I'm thinking about upgrading my receiver. What do you all think? Should I upgrade the receiver or keep it? If to replace, what should I get? I haven't done any research on any receivers at the moment so I don't know what to get. Thank you in advance!

Currently I have a Yamaha - HTR 5960 receiver. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer Plasma tv with a panny 55k blu ray player. I'm thinking about upgrading my receiver. What do you all think? Should I upgrade the receiver or keep it? If to replace, what should I get? I haven't done any research on any receivers at the moment so I don't know what to get. Thank you in advance!
Get one that you can easily return, in person without shipping, to have it fixed or exchanged if necessary within the warranty period.

I got burned on that and now it's been over 8 weeks and $60 in shipping and I still don't have a working receiver.

Currently I have a Yamaha - HTR 5960 receiver. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer Plasma tv with a panny 55k blu ray player.
Well, the HTR 5960 does have 7.1 analog inputs: that would be your best choice with the BD55. All you need is just the 7.1 cables.

If you are ready to upgrade, make sure you get a receiver with plenty of HDMI inputs and full video switching and advanced audio decoding. Not that you need that for the panny, but just to make your setup more future-proof.

I've been looking at three receivers.

1. Denon AVR-2309CI
2. Denon AVR-1909
3. Denon AVR-889

Anyone heard anything good about them or own one of them?

I have the 2309CI and love it. See my review in the thread above. 1909 and 889 are very good too, but I went with the 2309CI just to get an extra HDMI port, if nothing else, so I wouldn't have to buy a standalone HDMI switch.

I have the 2309CI and love it. See my review in the thread above. 1909 and 889 are very good too, but I went with the 2309CI just to get an extra HDMI port, if nothing else, so I wouldn't have to buy a standalone HDMI switch.
I have been seeing the reviews and it seems like everyone loves the three that I posted. Is there a major difference between the three? I'm not sure if I would ever use all the HDMI ports but it would be nice to be future proof. Quality wise, would the AVR-2309CI be a better choice over the other two I posted?

From what I've read, the main differences between the 2309CI and the 1909 are these: 4 HDMI's vs. 3, RS-232 port for custom installers, a more powerful amp, front-side S-video and toslink ports, some additional inputs (e.g. phono), and it's still made in Japan.

I haven't looked into the 889, but I believe it's just a mass-retailer version of the 2309. So it should be similar with a few minor changes perhaps.

As for HDMI ports, I use all 4 of them right now: Blu-ray, HD DVD, Dish and an upconverting DVD-writer/VCR combo. If I ever add a game console, an HD camcorder, a Home Theater PC, a NetFlix player or some other Internet player, I will run out of HDMI ports, but I guess I will retire my HD DVD player by then. ;)

I want to be future proof so from the sounds of it the 2309CI would be a best bet for me. I have only owned Yamaha but I believe this Denon would be as good or even better. :)

I saw a great deal for the 2309CI at Sixth Avenue Electronics online. Is that place legit? I can get a 2309CI for under $600 bucks!

Do a research on-line. Check with Denon to see if they are authorized dealers. Sounds suspiciously good! ;)

I ended up buying the 2309CI for under $600 bucks! I bought it from abt electronics for the price sixth avenue electronics advertised it for. I bought one HDMI cable when I recently bought a blu ray player. Do I need to purchase another HDMI cable to go from my tv to the receiver?

Nope! HDMI is the only type of cable you will need from now on. :D
Keep the toslink cable in case you will ever need to connect some non-HDMI components.

That reply was from my phone, didn't mean for it to sound like it may have. ABT is somewhat regional, but I know quite a few people who have bought from them and been happy.

To upgrade or not?

Alright guys, I'm in the same boat. Looking to possibly upgrade my receiver. Please let me hear your thoughts. But first a bit of backround info....

I finished my HT apx. 1.5 years ago. It includes an Epson Powerlite Cinema 400 Projector (720p), 92" Carada Criterion 16:9 Screen, H20 HD D* receiver, Sony PS3, Toshiba HD-A2, Polk Audio 5.1 satellite speakers system (RM6750) and a Harman Kardon AVR-146 audio receiver.

The problem is, the HK doesn't allow for the new advanced lossless formats. While I absolutely love Harmon Kardons sound, I just continually feel I am missing out on the next-gen sound formats. So tell me, how much of a difference is there and will it be worth it for me to upgrade.

BTW, I've already ruled out HK's latest line (AVR-254/354) due to all the reported issues. This is sad, because I really enjoy my current HK's sound.

With that said, I did a lot of research and if I go forward I am heavily leaning toward the Denon 1909. How does Denon sound compare to Harman Kardons and is it worth the upgrade to go lossless???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts