Thinking of getting Directv HD and international programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

defender007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Here
I'm new here so go easy on me. I kno my way around the Dish Network world but D* is new to me. Here' what I want to do: I"m in Canada, I have a US number and address and wanted to get an dual tuner HD-PVR (like a 722) and two regular SD receivers or SD PVR's. Now I wanted to get the HD channels (bell hd doesn't compare) and I also wanted to get the greek channels. What do I need and how do I set them up. Sorry if I'm repeating questions, I did a search and I'm still confused :confused: Also, what HD receiver should I be looking at that compares to my DVR 622? IF I buy my equipment, say from ebay or another retailer, can I still get all the signup credits and bonuses? Sorry again for all the questions

Last edited:
Legally, I don't think DirecTV is available in Canada. This is why no one can really answer your questions.

There are no DirecTV HD DVRs that have two separate outputs like the 722.

Thanks. I know I can't. I have all what I need: address, phone number and everything else. As for the dual tuner, I want it for 1 TV, not multiple TV setup.

Legally, I don't think DirecTV is available in Canada. This is why no one can really answer your questions.

There are no DirecTV HD DVRs that have two separate outputs like the 722.

wanted to get an dual tuner HD-PVR (like a 722)
ALL D* DVR's are dual tuner, but NONE have 2-room outputs like E*'s do - you'll need to get a separate receiver if you need a separate room output. The HD DVR will be an HR-2x series

and two regular SD receivers or SD PVR's.
Get an R22 SD DVR...

Now I wanted to get the HD channels (bell hd doesn't compare) and I also wanted to get the greek channels. What do I need and how do I set them up.

You'll have to get BOTH a Slimline dish AND an international dish f/the Greek stuff - you'll also need a WB68 switch to combine them all, which will also give you 8 tuner outputs.

IF I buy my equipment, say from ebay or another retailer, can I still get all the signup credits and bonuses?

Depends, you'll have to ask them & see...

Hey, thanks for the info. I wanted a dual tuner for one TV anyway, not for 2 rooms. One more thing, if I just get the international dish, will I still get all the SD D* channels on that dish? What extra channels do I get with the slimline, is it just for the HD and locals?

if I just get the international dish, will I still get all the SD D* channels on that dish? What extra channels do I get with the slimline, is it just for the HD and locals?

The international will get all SD channels that are ONLY on the 101 (main) bird - it will NOT get any HD, or some locals that have moved to MPEG4 only.

One question that would help US, help YOU - which local market were you planning on picking up??? You DO know there are 2 versions of slimlines; one that gets the 110/119 birds (some SD locals are on 119) & another that only gets 99/101/103. You need to pick the appropriate slimline for the local market you're after... ;) ;)

The international will get all SD channels that are ONLY on the 101 (main) bird - it will NOT get any HD, or some locals that have moved to MPEG4 only.

One question that would help US, help YOU - which local market were you planning on picking up??? You DO know there are 2 versions of slimlines; one that gets the 110/119 birds (some SD locals are on 119) & another that only gets 99/101/103. You need to pick the appropriate slimline for the local market you're after... ;) ;)

Sorry I didn't know that there is 2 versions. I really could care less about the locals. As long as the international dish can get all the channels including all the premium movies and the greek, that's fine with me. Which slimline would I need for the HD channels, say for PA?

Which slimline would I need for the HD channels, say for PA?

If all you want are HD locals, then the slimline 3 would work. But the only problem there is, if you get SD receivers, then those might not get ANY locals. (some locals such as mine are ONLY in MPEG4, & some are not - again, you need to specify WHICH DMA you want.

Also, you ARE aware that except for the "big 4" NY & LA locals, all SD & HD locals are on spotbeams, which means you are limited on which one(s) you can get, again depending on where YOU physically are located.

If all you want are HD locals, then the slimline 3 would work. But the only problem there is, if you get SD receivers, then those might not get ANY locals. (some locals such as mine are ONLY in MPEG4, & some are not - again, you need to specify WHICH DMA you want.

Also, you ARE aware that except for the "big 4" NY & LA locals, all SD & HD locals are on spotbeams, which means you are limited on which one(s) you can get, again depending on where YOU physically are located.

I don't care about the locals, HD or otherwise. I just care about the rest of the HD channels

Well, while a slimline 3 will be fine NOW, it's been rumored that after D* gets all the HD's removed from the 110/119 birds, they are going to start moving ALL international channels from the 95 bird (which requires the special international dish) to 110/119.

So since you don't care about any locals - if you DO want HD, get a slimline 5 & international dish, & be prepared for the future, or if you are NOT going to do HD, then just get the international dish. Note you will still need a WB68 switch either way.

Ok, so 5 LNB slimline and a WB68. Where's the best place to get the receivers? Ebay is good for the dishes, but what about the receivers?

Well, while a slimline 3 will be fine NOW, it's been rumored that after D* gets all the HD's removed from the 110/119 birds, they are going to start moving ALL international channels from the 95 bird (which requires the special international dish) to 110/119.

So since you don't care about any locals - if you DO want HD, get a slimline 5 & international dish, & be prepared for the future, or if you are NOT going to do HD, then just get the international dish. Note you will still need a WB68 switch either way.

So I decided to get a HR23 and 3 H21 receivers. The best price I have found so far is 200$ for the HR23 and 60$ for each H21 plus shipping. The H21's come in brown boxes so not sure if I can activate them...

Yes, I have a few addresses :cool:. Would I get a better deal if I bought them at best buy?

Just checked. Ebay was cheaper...

Ebay was cheaper...

Be forwarned - sometimes people find out those "cheaper" e-bay receivers can't even be activated, because D* shows them ALREADY leased. Also, you ARE aware that D* considers ALL newly activated equipment leased, so just be aware if one of them breaks, or you give up the service.

You'd probably be better off going to a BB & being assured of getting a virgin receiver that will NOT have an issue w/D* activating it.

Well I found a seller that's in Ohio that can help he. She's willing to give me a free HR23 with a 2yr agreement, but she hasn't received the HR23 yet, only in a few weeks

Are you serious? Wow, I know D* uses both internal and external. So if I want HD and PVR, I need to go HR20/21/22/23?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)