Thinking of switching.....but question about PIP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tennisgrl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
I've been contemplating the switch from Dish to Direct but I am trying to find out if the Direct HD Dvr receiver (whichever you would get with the whole home DVR system) allows you to do PIP or not like my current Dish boxes? Not talking about PIP from satellite to another source like DVD, but PIP between the 2 tuners in the receiver. Its not a huge deal, but I realized that I rely on it heavily and would miss that functionality if it weren't available.

I like the doubleplay option which you can flip between the 2 channels and it still buffers the program

The Bonus of the the DirecTV HD DVR is the Buffer for both tuners is 2 hours instead of Dish HD DVR's 1 hour buffer.

John

PIP is dead
You die- I love my PIP. If I were to switch I could use HDMI and Component outputs to TV and use TV's PIP right?
Also still trying to get handle on MRV. DVR in living room with HD receivers in two other rooms. All three can watch whatever for live TV? As for recorded playback I can watch recorded show on one while watching live on other two?

rogerpl
check you tv manual - none of my tvs will allow (as dish does) 2 hd sources at once even if they are a mix of digital and analog, but they're a couple of years old. The 922 pip is not quite as convenient as predecessors, but does allow a smaller pip to be located in the absolute corner of the screen as opposed to slightly out into the larger picture. I also have d*, and double play is nice - you can freeze and flip back and forth between tuners, but not even close to pip imho.

JohnW

rogerpl
check you tv manual - none of my tvs will allow (as dish does) 2 hd sources at once even if they are a mix of digital and analog, but they're a couple of years old. The 922 pip is not quite as convenient as predecessors, but does allow a smaller pip to be located in the absolute corner of the screen as opposed to slightly out into the larger picture. I also have d*, and double play is nice - you can freeze and flip back and forth between tuners, but not even close to pip imho.

JohnW
I can use my TV for PIP as long as receiver has hdmi and component just not as convenient to grab tv remote.

No it doesn't. You can flip back and forth between both tuners, but they are both full screen.

As long as both tuners are buffered, then this would be fine. I don't necessarily watch the PIP, but I like to switch back and forth between the tuners and if needed, have the ability to rewind to something I might have missed on the tuner I just switched to.

i can never figure out the double play feature. i can turn it on but cant figure out how to change channels on second channel

Select one of the programs you want. Down arrow twice. Receiver will change to second tuner, select the channel you want on tuner 2. Now use the down arrow again to switch back to tuner 1. Only use the down arrow to switch between tuners, the previous channel button will only switch between channels on the same tuner.

Hey, he loves his PIP. I thought Dish's PIP sucked anyways, It took up like over 1/4 of the screen and had a purple outline for some reason.

I felt the same way to a certain extent, thought PIP was neat. Side-by-Side/Split screen was the only part of it that I liked, but they screwed it up with the last software upgrade so now it doesn't matter. PIP is dead, they killed it. PIP is the last thing I'm concerned about now. DISH has too many problems. Looking forward to my HR24 and all games in HD.

Hey, he loves his PIP. I thought Dish's PIP sucked anyways, It took up like over 1/4 of the screen and had a purple outline for some reason.
PiP worked fine for me, was a little big. But hey how many wives would let keep PiP on screen while watching a chick flick?
Okay now, you die !

I agree that Dish's PiP was pretty kick ass. And the 'swap' feature was a lot better than DirecTV's double down. You hit swap and it swapped super fast. It also wouldn't bring up the banner either. With DirecTV's double down, the transition to the other tuner is slower and always displays the banner when you switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)