Thinking Of Switching From Dish To Comcast/Xfinity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have been on Comcast with a TiVo for years.

Honestly haven’t turned on Directv in over a year

Claude do you have a 4K TV? I ask because I do and TiVo not supporting how comcast is dealing with 4k content is a problem. Tivo has told me they have no plans to support IPTV from comcast,and comcast says that any new channels and 4K content will only be done via IPTV, not QAM.

I do love my roamio pro and still have it but recently added a XG1V4 to be able to access these sporting events available in 4K. Yes,some games are available in the fox sports app on roku but there are still issues with HDR on that app. So this and the fact that comcast's plan is to eventually get away from QAM leaves us tivo users in the dark. On the XG1V4, while there are some things I like that it does well, most of it is inferior to my roamio pro. Simple things like infinite guide scrolling that the X1 platform doesn't do. I am starting to consider maybe coming back to satellite even though I've been happy with comcast but I don't see this ever getting resolved as tivo and comcast continue to fight.

Tivo has told me they have no plans to support IPTV from comcast,and comcast says that any new channels and 4K content will only be done via IPTV, not QAM.
I think your beef should be with TiVo. If they don't want to keep up with a service that drives around 23% of households, that's not Comcast's problem. Of course that Comcast thinks that X1's turd smells like roses is absolutely Comcast's problem.

It is also sad that Comcast is only recently converting to MPEG4 when HEVC or similar may be where they should be headed. QAM is cool, but it necessarily involves re-compression and that's never a good thing.​

Reactions: Rey
I think your beef should be with TiVo. If they don't want to keep up with a service that drives around 23% of households, that's not Comcast's problem. Of course that Comcast thinks that X1's turd smells like roses is absolutely Comcast's problem.

It is also sad that Comcast is only recently converting to MPEG4 when HEVC or similar may be where they should be headed. QAM is cool, but it necessarily involves re-compression and that's never a good thing.​
I completely agree with you. So at this point you feel I should leave things as is for now? It's an extra $20 a month to have the Xg1v4 on the account. I guess when football is done and I can turn it in but had hoped their latest DVR would at least come close to my TiVo. Just trying to figure out when to get off of the sinking ship that is TiVo. If they would work with comcast on a IPTV solution that be great. I think they are doing something with other cable cos.

I completely agree with you. So at this point you feel I should leave things as is for now? It's an extra $20 a month to have the Xg1v4 on the account.

From their website-To get X1, select Extra or Preferred TV plans. X1 TV Box rental fee $5/mo. The Basic TV plan does not include access to X1 or an X1 TV Box.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

From their website-To get X1, select Extra or Preferred TV plans. X1 TV Box rental fee $5/mo. The Basic TV plan does not include access to X1 or an X1 TV Box.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
What is your point? I posted that I added a dvr (xg1v4) to my account having the roamio pro on it. So, the dvr fee is $10 a month and the additional x1 dvr is another $10 = $20 a month. I didn't have to pay a dvr fee just using the roamio. So it's the 2nd box and a dvr which is why it's $20 a month more.

Nobody pays for dish reception or cable tv anymore.
I just pay $49 bucks a month for 18Mbs internet from Xfinity.
My Roku box gets me thousands of movies and tv shows for free and my outside antenna gets me 44 more channels for free.
49.00 smackers just for an 18 Mbs download boy your getting bent over with out the grease

• Haha
Reactions: Rey
For anyone looking for a console with Full HD support, I recommend the MAG324w2 model from Infomir. I bought this console from Switchonshop. This TV set-box supports all formats of audio and video, and also has 1 GB of RAM. The MAG324w2 model has an HDMI output through which you connect it to TV.

So you have used it and you know for certain it doesn't work with Comcast internet?
The box in question runs Android TV that is explicitly disallowed installation of the Xfinity Stream app.
Comcast Stream app system requirements said:
Unsupported Devices
The Xfinity Stream app cannot be installed on the following unsupported devices:
  • Android TV
  • Windows tablets and phones
  • Nook devices
  • Apple TV
  • Other devices not specifically mentioned
Such is not to say that you couldn't use it to stream content from other sources but there are much less expensive devices (the Infomir box lists for $102 and up on Amazon) that are on the list of Xfinity Stream supported devices.

The box in question runs Android TV that is explicitly disallowed installation of the Xfinity Stream app.
Such is not to say that you couldn't use it to stream content from other sources but there are much less expensive devices (the Infomir box lists for $102 and up on Amazon) that are on the list of Xfinity Stream supported devices.
IOW it does have a use. YOU may not want to use it, but others might for reasons that don't concern you.

IOW it does have a use.
In the limited context of someone contemplating subscribing to Comcast for TV, it won't allow access to Comcast's TV IPTV services (Xfinity Stream, included with all TV subscriptions) so its use to access said subscription services would be through authentication on third party services. This limitation makes it a very poor recommendation in this context.

UPDATE: I misunderstood that the device supported Android TV (I was recalling the information about the MAG424w2 that was being promoted in a different thread). The MAG324w2 is actually Linux-based (v3.3 circa March 2012) and as such, the support for Comcast's streaming services (direct or through authentication) is virtually nonexistent.

49.00 smackers just for an 18 Mbs download boy your getting bent over with out the grease
I pay comcast $45 for 3.5 mps economy internet.
Really think it depends on location as to what you pay.
Works way better then the 3,5 mps dsl I had
When you don't bundle anything else they hose you.
FWIW it streams Netflix and HBONOW with no buffering. I am the only one in my household so it works fine for me.

• Wow
Reactions: krynn
I pay comcast $45 for 3.5 mps economy internet.
Really think it depends on location as to what you pay.
Works way better then the 3,5 mps dsl I had
When you don't bundle anything else they hose you.
FWIW it streams Netflix and HBONOW with no buffering. I am the only one in my household so it works fine for me.
out here spectrum charges 75.00 for a 200 MBPS connection at full rate it's 45.00 for the first year.. we have areas that have verizons 5G service wich is 50.00 a month for there whole home broadband and it's 70.00 a month if your not a verizon sub still not a bad deal for speeds in the gigs. i have always heard that comcast nickels and dimes everyone to!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts