Status
Please reply by conversation.

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
My current Dish setup is as follows:

1 Hopper with sling in the main room, connected to a 1080P tv via hdmi & it also supports a wireless joey in the kitchen.
1 Hopper with sling the bedroom that feeds a 4K tv via hdmi. This also supports another tv via component over cat5 cable. The hdmi feed also connects to another wireless setup that supports a 1080P tv upstairs. I have been with Dish for about 20 years, but have grown tired of all of the programming disputes, and the upgrades that IMO are steps backward. Plus, I have heard that Direct has the better picture of the two.

With Direct, would I be able to have to dvr's on the account? Does Direct have a wireless setup? Are all of the outputs active at the same time on the Direct units?

You can have about as many dvrs as you want, but only one Genie. They do have wireless, but not for 4k yet. All outputs used to be live, but I don't think they are anymore. Someone else know better please chime in.

problem will be install cost
they want you to get a geneie and minis, those are all that are free
wireless video bridge is $99
hddvr is $199 each
hd receiver $99 each

dont know if you can get them to budge on this or not
also if they offer the hs17, then no other receiver/dvrs are allowed. only minis

problem will be install cost
they want you to get a geneie and minis, those are all that are free
wireless video bridge is $99
hddvr is $199 each
hd receiver $99 each

dont know if you can get them to budge on this or not
also if they offer the hs17, then no other receiver/dvrs are allowed. only minis
You don't need a wireless video bridge. My HR44 is connected wirelessly and the HR24 connects to that through the coax I think.

so it sounds like I am pretty much stuck at this point in time.

I don't want to change if I can't have the same setup.

The dvr's that were mentioned....how many tuners do they have?

genie - 5 tuners
dvr - 2 tuners
receiver - 1 tuner
mini - 0 tuners

hs17 - 7 tuners

honestly i relly like directv
but if i was making a choice right now based on equipment
dish would win.

the genie was more attractive than the hopper/hopper2

but it cannot compete with the hopper 3

Reactions: DialgaChampion
something else I forgot to ask...........what about ota? Does Direct have anything that will allow me to watch the local channels via antenna?

if you can find an am21
but the databas i out of date
better to use the tv tuner

Word is that Directv isn't going to support ota much longer. It's not a definite.

I literally just made this switch. After being with Dish for about 10 years, I got DirecTV installed today. Been playing around with it for a couple of hours. The picture quality is definitely better. I'm watching football right now after watching a bunch yesterday, and the difference is significant. On Dish, there were always compression artifacts around the players when they moved, and I'm not seeing that at all on DirecTV. Couple that with the significant savings I got, plus Sunday Ticket, and I'm happy.

HOWEVER. The Genie lags far behind the Hopper 3 in many, many ways. First off, only 5 tuners (I have an HR-54) vs. 16 in the Hopper. No OTA support. No folders, which honestly amazes me. The hard drive is half the size of the Hopper's. The user interface seems less polished, and it's not quite as quick and responsive as the Hopper, either. None of these are deal-breakers for me, but you definitely want to go in with your eyes open if you make the switch.

I literally just made this switch. After being with Dish for about 10 years, I got DirecTV installed today. Been playing around with it for a couple of hours. The picture quality is definitely better. I'm watching football right now after watching a bunch yesterday, and the difference is significant. On Dish, there were always compression artifacts around the players when they moved, and I'm not seeing that at all on DirecTV. Couple that with the significant savings I got, plus Sunday Ticket, and I'm happy.

HOWEVER. The Genie lags far behind the Hopper 3 in many, many ways. First off, only 5 tuners (I have an HR-54) vs. 16 in the Hopper. No OTA support. No folders, which honestly amazes me. The hard drive is half the size of the Hopper's. The user interface seems less polished, and it's not quite as quick and responsive as the Hopper, either. None of these are deal-breakers for me, but you definitely want to go in with your eyes open if you make the switch.
Thats why were here, so you know this stuff before you sign up.

Too bad you didn't wait until you could get the HS17.

The HS-17 ATM even with 7 tuners they won't let you use more than 5 tuners. Directv should have released something with more tuners.

Well, the $100+ monthly savings was too hard to ignore. And it'd be nice to have those extra tuners, but the rest of the issues would still be the same.

Well, the $100+ monthly savings was too hard to ignore. And it'd be nice to have those extra tuners, but the rest of the issues would still be the same.
not all of them, the hs17 does have a 2tb hd
btw, rumor is folders are coming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts