Thinking of switching from Dish to DirectTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keyser Soze

Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Thinking of switching from Dish to DirectTV. I have two questions...

Has Direct changed to HD-Lite to full rez since the new sat went up?

Can I still get a HR20 with the OTA turner? If not, I heard that they my start sending PBS-HD soon. Has anyone else heard this.

There is nothing wrong with the service from Dish, it's just the politics they have with getting newer channels that DirectTV seems not to have a problem with. I have a VIP622 now...how does it compare to the receivers that Direct provides?

Has Direct changed to HD-Lite to full rez since the new sat went up?

The new channels are much better than the older ones. The only true HD-Lite channels are their original MPEG2 channels.

Can I still get a HR20 with the OTA turner? If not, I heard that they my start sending PBS-HD soon. Has anyone else heard this.

From what I have seen the HR20's are hard to come by anymore. There will be a OTA tuner for the HR21's very soon.

I have a VIP622 now...how does it compare to the receivers that Direct provides?

There are pluses and minus of both DVR's. Both are very good at what they do and IMO you wont be disappointed with the HR21 or HR20.

I switched last October. No regrets. The PQ overall is superior. And they've made good software improvements to both the HR20 and HR21. It will take a week or so to get used to the new remote and figure your way around but once you do you'll see you can do the main things, record and watch, just the same as with the 622. Only you have more and better programs to choose from.

DTV has the definite edge now. I'm especially impressed that they've resisted adding more channels per transponder until they get D11 up and running. The PQ on the MPEG4 is outstanding.

I am in the processing of deciding if a switch from Dish to D* is going to be easy and worth it. I am being told by many at work, D* is great. I love the 622 but do not record OTA.

Questions:

For those which have switched did you get D* ordered and then cancel E*? Wait until D* is installed and have them remove the E* sats? Also does E* send you boxes for the equipment to return from E*?

What is the best offer to go directly through D* or use a local Sat company?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I am in the processing of deciding if a switch from Dish to D* is going to be easy and worth it. I am being told by many at work, D* is great. I love the 622 but do not record OTA.

Questions:

For those which have switched did you get D* ordered and then cancel E*? Wait until D* is installed and have them remove the E* sats? Also does E* send you boxes for the equipment to return from E*?

Thanks,

In response to the questions:

I waited until D was installed before canceling E.
Yes E will send boxes (shipping prepaid) for you to return your receivers, remotes, and your old LNB's.

As far as which way is better I think it all depends on what is being offered at the time. I'd check both ways and compare if I was you. :)

Questions:

Thanks,

I cancelled dish last October also and I am extremely impressed! The PQ is awesome and if you love sports you are in the right place.I do not know how I did it, but I called a few times and finally got a good CSR at Directv. They gave me free equipment, HD + an HDDVR-3 months of the premium packages, $10 off the next 10 months. Install was the next day!!!! I was truly amazed. Plus, my bill is lower than I had at dish!!! I love Directv----make the switch! You will be very happy!

not yet....can i hook up the box wirelessly or do i have to run a wire to it?

Wired works best but wireless has been reported to work, depending on what speeds you end up with, YMMV. And the power line adapters that D* sells on their web site also have been reported to work.

Have you contacted DIRECTV Rebate Program from Plasma Concepts since they're a gold sponsor of this site to see what they can do for you???

Yes I ended up contacting Plasma Concepts and they helped me out tremendously. I get the Directv rebate and offer along with an additional 100.00 off coupon from Plasma Concepts. My install is for Friday. Hopefully it will be easy to cancel E*...my contract did end with them back in September...so it should be no problems there.

Ice it will be easy to cancle E. They will try to keep you they told me they would reinstall everything for a better price i told them would they pay the contract cancellation fee lol . Just remeber to call e after d is installed cancle. They will send boxes for any leased recievers lnbs, and the switch. Good luck I have been so pleased with D. Programs are great hd is awesome and so are the sd in my opion. I have had zero fade out do to weather. With e it happened every time a cloud passed by lol.

I switched last October. No regrets. The PQ overall is superior. And they've made good software improvements to both the HR20 and HR21. It will take a week or so to get used to the new remote and figure your way around but once you do you'll see you can do the main things, record and watch, just the same as with the 622. Only you have more and better programs to choose from.

DTV has the definite edge now. I'm especially impressed that they've resisted adding more channels per transponder until they get D11 up and running. The PQ on the MPEG4 is outstanding.

I also agree with points made above.....I switched Feb 7th and have never looked back. It was a little difficult at first to get used to the remote but software upgrades have been great and I am very happy with the features that Dish still does not have such as remote programming of your DVR. Also very happy with the picture quality.

I switched a month ago because I didnt trust dish to have NESNHD by the sox opener.I have not looked back.strange though,dish has not charged my card for the early termination fee,and I have not yet got my empty return boxes(its been over a month)they KNOW I switched because no NESNHD,I have a conspiracy theory that they plan to add this soon,and will call me with a "please stay offer".unfortunately D* has me for 23 more months.and I may use the $1500 pres. Bush is giving me to get sunday ticket!

Hey Deathmetal im confused this post you said you have not looked back. But in another post you said you hate direct which is it dude lol. By the way it took over a month for dish to send the boxes they will get to you and you can expect quite a few phone calls from dish trying to get you back. Dont base the sat tv just because you dont like the dvr. as long as it records what i want it to do im happy.

Hey Deathmetal im confused this post you said you have not looked back. But in another post you said you hate direct which is it dude lol. By the way it took over a month for dish to send the boxes they will get to you and you can expect quite a few phone calls from dish trying to get you back. Dont base the sat tv just because you dont like the dvr. as long as it records what i want it to do im happy.

You beat me to it, Cincyray. I was going to ask the same question!

Yeah Raul i dont know if he just doesnt like the dvr or what. Maybe it is not as nice as dishe but it does want i want it to do. I got direct for hd the dvr is just a plus but not the reason i choose direct.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)