Thinking of switching from Dish to DirectTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't want to get into a fight over which receiver is best the HR 21 or the VIP 622 or 722. If Direct did offer a receiver that had tv 1 and tv 2 I do believe the defections would be enormous. I have read that Direct will concentrate on hd receivers from here on out, which is great. If they can come up with a box that will do 2 hdtvs, again I think it would make a lot of subs from Dish think twice.

Just my 2 cents worth.

If they can come up with a box that will do 2 hdtvs, again I think it would make a lot of subs from Dish think twice.

From what I've seen no plans for that. But they do plan a whole house solution (aka Multi Room Viewing) so that STB's around the house can share recordings on a DVR. When you talk about distributing HD output to other rooms without a STB it starts to get a bit of a challenge since you then need to take the satellite MPEG4 recording then convert it to MPEG2 and then have an ATSC/8VSB modulator so you can send the output to the 2nd set if you want to use coax like the current E* boxes do.

Another D* moron question from the long-time E* customer.

I have my 622 installed under my living room floor, i.e. against the ceiling in my basement. I run the RF antenna up into my room and it works like a charm. This is because I cannot stand to listen to hard drive noise when the room is quiet. You can tell me that the HR20 or HR21 is whisper quiet and I won't hear it, but there's about a 98% chance you will be wrong.

It would be great if the D* DVRs shut down their hard drives when they are turned off. E*'s old DVRs used to do that, but now they continue to spin.

So, do the D* HD DVRs have a non-IR remote option?

Another D* moron question from the long-time E* customer.

I have my 622 installed under my living room floor, i.e. against the ceiling in my basement. I run the RF antenna up into my room and it works like a charm. This is because I cannot stand to listen to hard drive noise when the room is quiet. You can tell me that the HR20 or HR21 is whisper quiet and I won't hear it, but there's about a 98% chance you will be wrong.

It would be great if the D* DVRs shut down their hard drives when they are turned off. E*'s old DVRs used to do that, but now they continue to spin.

So, do the D* HD DVRs have a non-IR remote option?

Yes, they have an RF remote option but the RF remote is not always standard equipment for the receiver.

It would be nice.The receivers come with varying levels of RF functionality. If you're going through floors, you'll probably want to seek out one with an external antenna.

Supposedly the HR20-100 (the only current HD DVR with an external antenna) is less sensitive than those with the built-in antenna (I don't have personal experience with this model, but have seen many postings to that effect).

DirecTV rocks

I have not experienced the services of Dish. A user of DirecTV's service and no plans to switch. I had subscribed for DirecTV as it was the only provider of NDTV 24x7 (Indian news channel), I am kind of addicted to the channel.

When I subscribed for DirecTV,I received installation of a 4-room DirecTV system. No technical snags so far, I hope it remains the same ever.

You can tell me that the HR20 or HR21 is whisper quiet and I won't hear it, but there's about a 98% chance you will be wrong.

I tried one of my HR20-700's in the bedroom, no good. There was too much vibration or resonating sound from the harddrive spinning that the cabinet that I put it in amplified. Even when I put something under it to stop that noise I could heard the harddrives heads seaking. Swapped it with my HR21-200 and I can't hear a thing from it, even the wife hasn't said anything.

In some cases, increased noise comes from the fan running harder because you've installed the receiver in a cabinet.
HR21 manual said:
• Ensure proper ventilation — the vent slots on the DIRECTV Receiver must be left uncovered to allow proper airflow to the unit. Blocking the airflow to the unit could impair performance or damage your receiver and other components.
• Do not stack electronic components or other objects on top of the DIRECTV Receiver. Also, do not stack the receiver on top of a “hot component” such as an audio power amplifier.

I switched

I made the switch to D* about 3 weeks ago. There are a few things a miss about the 622 like the swapping of tuners and such but also the the hr20 has features i like also. I had three HD dvr's all were HR20's. OTA works great. One big feature I do like is when switching from a show i am recording live it will take you back to were you stopped viewing and dont have to start over. With that said I do think the 622 is more user friendly but I really do like the the D* service better. With on demand and remote dvr scheduling I was with dish 10.5 yrs and glad i made the switch. My wife isnt as picky as me and she also thinks switching was a good move. Now all i have to do is remember where all the channels are.

Just switched to D*. The installation was a joke. The "tech" and I use that word lightly spent about 2 hours getting the dish installed on the roof and then came down, hooked up the receiver and said it was ready. He didn't stay and make sure that the channels were there. When I asked him to verify everything he said that they were all there and that he had to get to his next install. After 20 minutes of the receiver downloading information, I was finally able to check the channels and half of the HD channels weren't there. I was getting a "searching for signal" message. I called up Directv and after about a half hour of being on hold, I was told that they would send out a tech on Monday. The same guy showed up, again assured me that I was getting all my channels and was ready to leave. I finally had to show him that I was NOT getting all the channels and I was the one who had to go to the screen that shows the various transponders and I had to show him that they were NOT there. He finally told me he didn't know how to fix it and that I would have to call Directv and schedule someone else to come and fix his mess. I called Directv today and the earliest appointment I can get is next Saturday... so much for ESPN HD and some of the March Madness. I wish I would have stayed with E*. At least they seem to have techs who know what they are doing! This is the second time I have gone with Directv and both times I have had techs come who are so incompetent that it boggles the mind that they would even hire them! It would help if I they could speak english!!!

In some cases, increased noise comes from the fan running harder because you've installed the receiver in a cabinet.

The fans running harder? :eek: Are you saying they run at different speeds?

I am also in the process of making my decision on switching from E to D and I have a few questions. I am aware of the comparisons between the Dish’s HD DVR and Directs, but I am looking for any comparisons between Directs HD receiver without DVR and Dish’s VIP 211. Features, reliability etc. Also any information from Direct subscribers in the Philly area about installers, dish size and what program package would I need to receive the Big Ten Network would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any information you can supply.

I am also in the process of making my decision on switching from E to D and I have a few questions. I am aware of the comparisons between the Dish’s HD DVR and Directs, but I am looking for any comparisons between Directs HD receiver without DVR and Dish’s VIP 211. Features, reliability etc. Also any information from Direct subscribers in the Philly area about installers, dish size and what program package would I need to receive the Big Ten Network would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any information you can supply.
Big ten network comes in the Choice or higher package. You can check http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/chnllineup.pdf to see what channels are in what package.

As for the receiver, I have a H21-200 and after some initial HDMI issue with my Dell LCD panel it's been rock solid. I can't compare to the E* 211 but here's the link to the manual for the H21 to you can see yourself what it has or doesn't have: http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/DIRECTV/h21_web_manual.pdf

Thanks for the links. The only channel lineup I could find was from last year. One concern I still have, is Dish's agreement with The Big Ten, excludes customers in the Philly DMA from receiving Big Ten, unless you subscribe to an additional Multi Sports Package. If you live anywhere else in Pa. you get it with your basic 100 channel or more package. I have the 250 plus channel package, and only because I live ten miles from Philly, they require I subscribe to an additional sport package for about $6.00 a month. I am hopefull that Direct's agreement is not the same. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the links. The only channel lineup I could find was from last year. One concern I still have, is Dish's agreement with The Big Ten, excludes customers in the Philly DMA from receiving Big Ten, unless you subscribe to an additional Multi Sports Package. If you live anywhere else in Pa. you get it with your basic 100 channel or more package. I have the 250 plus channel package, and only because I live ten miles from Philly, they require I subscribe to an additional sport package for about $6.00 a month. I am hopefull that Direct's agreement is not the same. Thanks again for the info.
Right now, it isnt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)