Thinking of switching from Dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghostyroastytoasty

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Beckley, WV
But I have some questions, and I thought this would be a great place to start.
I'm looking to save money, and currently I have the Everything in pack from Dish.

I was looking at the Plus! Hd Dvr package from D* and I believe it said it costs $72.99 a month.. but it does not include some of the HD channels that dish has like Disney and the such (I work for Disney seasonally, so I need it to keep up).

Also, I am a big Pittsburgh Penguins fan, and last year I "moved" to NYC to get locals and had to purchase the NHL CI package for the games. My zip is actually 25880 which is in Southern WV, and I am eligible for distant networks except for ABC. I'm guessing this includes HD as well?

On the other hand, I was looking at the 250 + package from Dish because of the additional channels I can get for almost the same price...
Any advice?

and one more thing...I would prefer to have 3 rooms... Currently I have 1 622 receiver going into 2 rooms

Last edited:
And if I get another HD dvr , can it be networked to the other to share dvr recordings?
Many questions that you've all probably answered many times before, but I've searched and really couldn't find the answers I wanted.

At this time you cannot network the DVR's to play the others recordings, if thats what your getting at.

If you get the Everything package from D* (Primeir package, it's $ 104 I think)

Jimbo

Also, I am a big Pittsburgh Penguins fan, and last year I "moved" to NYC to get locals and had to purchase the NHL CI package for the games. My zip is actually 25880 which is in Southern WV, and I am eligible for distant networks except for ABC. I'm guessing this includes HD as well?

Does anybody here know about the DNS service issues, such as the need for waivers in order to get them? I have read that it is difficult to get distant locals now...

Does anybody here know about the DNS service issues, such as the need for waivers in order to get them? I have read that it is difficult to get distant locals now...

You mean more difficult to get them IF you are somehow already served? Sure they are, they are trying to stay legal so they don't lose offerings like Dish has.

You mean more difficult to get them IF you are somehow already served? Sure they are, they are trying to stay legal so they don't lose offerings like Dish has.
I read on several places that waivers are needed and so forth. Is this correct?

It is all dependent on your particular location inside your particular DMA (market). There are some circumstances when you very well MAY be able to apply for, and have waivers granted, by your local claiming affiliates, to allow you DNS services.

It is all dependent on your particular location inside your particular DMA (market). There are some circumstances when you very well MAY be able to apply for, and have waivers granted, by your local claiming affiliates, to allow you DNS services.

Thats another good point to remember guy's, it's your local stations that have to allow you to get the signal from D*, not D*'s call.
If your locals station says NO your close enough to get them reasonibly with an antenna then you will not be allowed to have them thru D*.

Jimbo

Well, sadly YOU don't get to determine that; BUT if you really don't, then you should be able to easily apply for and be granted waivers.

How easy would it be to change my service address once it is installed to get all the nyc locals??? Right now I'm eligible for all except for abc... Butt he station here sends their signal out at 480i... and is AWFUL!

In southern WV, you would be too far to fall into the NYC spot beam in all likelihood. It looks to me like you are about as far from Charleston as Huntington is from Charleston. If so, you would probably be fine "moving" to Charleston for HD-LIL.

Thanks for everyone's input, but for now I will stick with E*... I love the options that D has right now, but I'm going to wait and see what happens in the next 6 months before making my final decision to jump ship and join you guys.
Thanks again!@

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts