Thinking of Switching from Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bondoo0

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Been with Dish for about 5 years now, but because of the big increase for equipment fees thinking about switching to Direct, but had a few questions.

MRV (at least the beta) sounds pretty cool, but does anyone know if you will need to buy new equipment for DECA once it moves out of beta (i.e. should I wait for that to happe so I know I'll have compatible equipment)?

With media share, has anyone tried using it with a Windows Home Server, or would I be better off just going the TVersity route?

Any specials that I should keep in mind for Direct (I know there was a AAA discount before, but not sure if that is still an option or if there's anything better out there now)?

Finally wondering if the remotes with the HD DVR's are RF or IR only, and what DVR (HR21, HR22, HR23, other) I'd be likely to get.

Thanks,
Mike

MRV is neat, and I think the DECA adapters will work current HDDVRs just fine.

Not tried Media Share

I moved from Dish to Directv last month and have $26 off per month for 12 mo's.

Hopefully, when MRV comes out of Beta, they won't require everyone to get DECA as that would require a changeout to SWM. If the network solution is working, why make a change?

I recently purchased a WD Book 1TB NAS and was delighted to find out that it had Twonky installed. I didn't buy it for this. It works quite well. Now if DirecTV would get media Share so it can use FF and Rewind it would be great.

That's great (the allowing, even unsupported, MRV over network without DECA), and that's what I wanted to hear.

Anyone know if RF remotes are included with the typical HD DVR's, and if I'm better off waiting until the HR24 (I think that's it, someone correct me if I'm wrong) comes out.

That's great (the allowing, even unsupported, MRV over network without DECA), and that's what I wanted to hear.

Anyone know if RF remotes are included with the typical HD DVR's, and if I'm better off waiting until the HR24 (I think that's it, someone correct me if I'm wrong) comes out.

I have 1 HR23 and 1 HR22 and they both have IF/RF remotes. I don't think anyone really knows when the 24's are coming out for sure. Also you wont know what HD receiver you will get. You can not request one over the other. It all depends on what the local installer has. Good luck

Mark

i believe that all hd-dvr receivers ship with IR/RF remotes. HD and standards only ship with IR.

I guess my installer didn't do that since I got the IR-only Remote with my HR22. I'll have to get that RC64RF remote unit off eBay or the DTV site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts